An-Bri-RC SU-85

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: An-Bri-RC SU-85

Post by Raminator »

Me on the right. 8)

Spent the last few days trying to print with flexible resin; all of my exposure calibrations and test prints came out perfectly, but every model print would detach itself and stick to the vat. I had three attempts where nothing but supports came out. I was just about to give up and try something else but then:
IMG20210607183640.jpg
IMG20210607183057.jpg
Could do with some tweaking, but I'm really pleased with how these went. The surface is a little shiny and partially translucent; maybe more fitting for high fashion or fetish clothing than a war machine, but gentle sanding with 360-grit gives a nice opaque matte finish.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

8) I will pay you out on the coolness scale for that !!

Will the bearings out of the OEM wheels transplant into the printed ones ?
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Just had a pillar drill delivered Saturday so that l can reliably drill out wheel centres. Can't believe the great quality of the machine for less than £60. Now finished machining the Trumpeter SU100 wheels and have fitted a set of 3x10x4mm flanged bearings (3x9x5 still in the post!).

I decided to superglue the bearings and 3mm stub axes in place simply for convenience of easier fitting. As you said Tankme, it needs a couple of spacers to get the offset right but they are now painted and waiting for light weathering tomorrow. Glue the Taigen tyres on and the SU will finally be wearing the correct wheels. Only polystyrene though so still need those great looking printed ones once you are ready.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Raminator

Post by Raminator »

HERMAN BIX wrote:Will the bearings out of the OEM wheels transplant into the printed ones ?
Yep, that's the plan. Should be a direct swap using the same hardware. The stamped wheels I'm doing for your SU-85 are specifically designed to use the metal HL swing arms and bearings, I'll send you a set with the wheels. You'll be able to take the plastic arms and wheels off the HL hull and install the new metal/resin ones straight away.

I've tweaked the design so that the weight is shared more evenly between the two wheels and the screwed-in bearings hold the two halves together. I'll get some test prints going and see how that works.
T-34_stampedwheel_07.png
I'll make adjustments to suit the Taigen axles and bearings too.
General Jumbo01 wrote:Only polystyrene though so still need those great looking printed ones once you are ready.
Hopefully shouldn't be too much longer on that front. There were two small packages in the letter box this afternoon; a 100W car heater cartridge and a thermostat/thermistor set.
IMG20210611151611.jpg
Got everything wired up and working, it was easily able to maintain a temperature >30°C in the printer enclosure during some quick tests. I'll try some prints with the strong Siraya Tech resin this weekend. Then I'll print an enclosure for the heater and controller so there aren't loose wires going every which way! :haha:
General Jumbo01

I'm beginning to feel like a kid waiting for Father Christmas! My new T34/76 mod'43 arrived yesterday. The top hull is one piece but l've not done a trial fit yet. The SU100 wheels fit okay with the Taigen tyres fitted, pic below. Need a bigger house too! ImageImage

Sent from my ASUS_X00TDB using Tapatalk
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Did the Taigen wheel show up yet Mr Raminator ?
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
General Jumbo01

Just had confirmation from Dave at Forgebear that he is happy to get Taigen T34 tyres in as required for anyone who is doing a build. Just go to his website shop and ask. I guess this would apply to other types too! Mine are in the post :thumbup:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

General Jumbo01 wrote:Just had confirmation from Dave at Forgebear that he is happy to get Taigen T34 tyres in as required for anyone who is doing a build. Just go to his website shop and ask. I guess this would apply to other types too! Mine are in the post :thumbup:
good info mr Jumbo.............
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Raminator

Post by Raminator »

General Jumbo01 wrote:I'm beginning to feel like a kid waiting for Father Christmas! My new T34/76 mod'43 arrived yesterday. The top hull is one piece but l've not done a trial fit yet. The SU100 wheels fit okay with the Taigen tyres fitted, pic below. Need a bigger house too! //uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202106 ... 2a3a2e.jpg//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202106 ... 6b0f5a.jpg
The stamped wheels definitely suit the SU-100 better, glad to see you get the Trumpeter rims on. I've done (and redone, and never finished) the same T-34 kit, it's a good match for the Taigen chassis. I used 0.5 mm styrene shims on the tops of the sponsons and either side of the rear plate, everything else was a perfect fit (including the Heng Long turret rotation ring. I'm planning to get back to mine once I get these wheels sorted. Hopefully for the last time, this time!
HERMAN BIX wrote:Did the Taigen wheel show up yet Mr Raminator ?
Still no sign! What have they done with it?
General Jumbo01 wrote:Just had confirmation from Dave at Forgebear that he is happy to get Taigen T34 tyres in as required for anyone who is doing a build. Just go to his website shop and ask. I guess this would apply to other types too! Mine are in the post :thumbup:
Nice, that'll definitely be helpful. When Australia Post pulls their finger out I'll confirm if the Heng Long and Taigen tyres are the same, I can adjust the designs if needed. I'm unsure how robust the printed tyres will be, but once I've got everything dialled in I'll have to do some R/C testing. It's tough work but someone's got to do it!

On that note, the heater in the printer enclosure makes all the difference. I've got some very crisp prints with the clear Siraya Tech resin, they look great.
IMG20210615185011.jpg
There'll be some cleanup required around the back sides of the wheels where the supports attach, but it's no worse than removing sprue gates and certainly preferable to ejection pin marks. It's hard to photograph these things since they're clear, I'll have to give them a coat of primer so they're easier to see.
General Jumbo01

Yes Mr Ram, they just look right don't they and the forth fuel tank looks better too. Were Trumpeter saving money by using an existing T34 85 spru l wonder.

That's good news about the turret ring but l may, just may, use one of my existing Taigen T34s for the conversion and visually, with the deck details removed and replaced with mod 43 fuel barrels, boxes etc l wonder if it would be more straight forward to use the '85 deck and it's readily fitting rotation servos, wiring. It's then simply a matter of cramming the 85 turret contents into the mod 43 one, including IR, recoil and flash.

That's great news on the heater. I wish l had your gear to play with but l'd still need your experience and skills! I still want the printed wheels please, as you can see - the SU is waiting!

Sent from my ASUS_X00TDB using Tapatalk

Return to “Other Builds”