Torro KV 1 864 build ,repaint, weather, elmod new sounds

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Captain Hilts
Lance Corporal

Re: Torro KV 1 864 build ,repaint, weather, elmod new sounds

Post by Captain Hilts »

Hi Eric.
Thanks for your interest and liking, but you said it all pal , TIME. we waist all our time working and not having enough time to sit down, relax and get creative doing a hobby we like. This has been the best part of not working for the last 6 months , actually getting into finishing a model, and doing the garden :lolno: But i fear work is on the horizon and i may be back next week, so my modelling will return to just a dream. but at least this is finished so will try and get it all on over the weekend. cheers :thumbup:
Captain Hilts
Lance Corporal

Post by Captain Hilts »

So i have decided to try this modulation that seems to be popular, so i got a Russian 4BO set from vallejo that has 6 different shades, the darker in the most recessed and lighter as parts are most exposed , Sounds simple eh :'(
Attachments
kv 1 build 101.jpg
kv 1 build 102.jpg
Captain Hilts
Lance Corporal

Post by Captain Hilts »

Well i gave it a go but it didnt come out as i expected, or as i had seen in youtube videos of people showing you how its done, :think: Thats how we learn theses days isnt it , the school of youtube :wtf: Started ok, darker then lighter then just to light for my liken, especially the upper body and thats following the vallejo instructions. By the way you can make out the cast effect i made on the turret mantlet here.
Attachments
kv 1 build 1112.jpg
kv 1 build 1111.jpg
kv 1 build 1110.jpg
kv 1 build 119.jpg
kv 1 build 118.jpg
kv 1 build 117.jpg
kv 1 build 116.jpg
kv 1 build 115.jpg
kv 1 build 114.jpg
kv 1 build 113.jpg
Captain Hilts
Lance Corporal

Post by Captain Hilts »

So I found a great little video on youtube of a guy buiding a KV1 in 1/35 scale using the same vallejo paints, but he doesnt use all the shades ,only the darker primer then the 017 russian 4BO and shading with just a mix of 017 russian green and the lighter 225 light shade mixed, so i copied him . heres the video on youtube
phpBB [video]
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

I bought that same set and I wasn't impressed with it either. To me it came out with too much yellow in the green. I think I ended up using a color from Mig instead.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Captain Hilts
Lance Corporal

Post by Captain Hilts »

So after copying the the video , I came up with this , Seems a bit patchy , but apparently thats modulation , so im going for it. First time remember 8O :P
Attachments
kv 1 build 128.jpg
kv 1 build 126.jpg
kv 1 build 125.jpg
kv 1 build 124.jpg
kv 1 build 123.jpg
kv 1 build 122.jpg
kv 1 build 121.jpg
Captain Hilts
Lance Corporal

Post by Captain Hilts »

tankme wrote:I bought that same set and I wasn't impressed with it either. To me it came out with too much yellow in the green. I think I ended up using a color from Mig instead.
Yes to many shades at once spoils the broth. that video i posted shows you only need 2 colours from that set , the rest are awful.
KenCO
Recruit

Post by KenCO »

I totally agree with what you have said. painting a tank especially 1/16.... a lot of paint and expense. I started painting 1/16 scale 5 years ago and I am still learning.
Based on what i have seen in your photos - looks too yellow so it must be the paint mix
there are ways to remedy this
1. Start again - you don't need to that.........
2. Alter the paint mix - add white - hard to say exactly what but somewhere between 3 and 8%.........
3. Alternatively you can go the Oil paint approach. You can darken the colours very rapidly by using burnt umber and a green mix - painting with oils on top of the base modulation for example (I would avoid black and white techniques in most cases at this scale - unless you really, really, really are into super detail paint finishes and know how to apply this - requires a lot of practice - at which I have yet to be successful).

I use Tamiya/AK/Vallejo paints, I have a few mig paints - I have no preference - just how its worked for me.
I like painting tanks - super relaxing and yes I get it wrong because suddenly I do not like it!
FYI i repainting a Torro Mid tiger 1 after a rebuild . It's on its 3rd repaint at the moment. Thats due to the development of my knowledge, skills and help.
Captain Hilts
Lance Corporal

Post by Captain Hilts »

Well as i am happy with the paint now I am now thinking i would like something on the tank , a slogan , a number , but most pictures from the war show they are normally plain, but after reading about Zinoviy Kolobanov and his unit of 5 kv1s at the battle of Leningrad knocking out a column of 3 panzer divisions ,a total of 43 German Tanks and a couple of artillery pieces . Kolobanovs tank knocked out 22 before running out of ammo then sending in another KV to finnish them off. He was also promoted and demoted and promoted again after the war and has a good story, So i needed decals or paint masks, thats when i remembered Rad_Schuhart from this very forum , so i got in touch and he kindly made me up some lovely paint masks for Kolobanovs tank, Thanks Rad , i will be in touch soon for more for my Sherman . i would recommend them to anybody to try them, for me there better than decals
Attachments
kv 1 build 148.jpg
kv 1 build 147.jpg
kv 1 build 146.jpg
kv 1 build 145.jpg
kv 1 build 144.jpg
kv 1 build 143.jpg
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Rad's markings really make your KV-1 stand out! You have much there of which to be proud.

Return to “Other Builds”