1945 Jagdtiger Tank Destroyer

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: 1945 Jagdtiger Tank Destroyer

Post by PainlessWolf »

I got restless waiting for the seasonal ( now apparently ) rains to let up so I bit the bullet and did the detail painting in the kitchen. The primer is the worst but only small amounts were required this time. Rear armor is painted and detailed and awaiting the weathering of the panzergrau.
Pics: ( Click to Enlarge )
Attachments
A look at the hakken and the convoy light, jack and rear reflector.jpg
A look at the hakken and the convoy light, jack and rear reflector.jpg
Closeup of the jack block.jpg
Closeup of the jack block.jpg
Steel for the chain and stain for the wood, black for the jack and panzergrau for everything else.jpg
Steel for the chain and stain for the wood, black for the jack and panzergrau for everything else.jpg
The fenders got the rottbraun auto primer but the jack got the Tamiya grey for greater detail..jpg
The fenders got the rottbraun auto primer but the jack got the Tamiya grey for greater detail..jpg
Starting out by raising the rear plate to eye level when seated at the counter.jpg
Starting out by raising the rear plate to eye level when seated at the counter.jpg
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Beginning work on the Casemate and the books by Devey are invaluable! This will take time even at the level I like since there are some small details overlooked by the 1/35 scale Model Manufacturers ( not to mention
the 1/16 scale RC versions tho' I have to admit Torro did a RESPECTABLE job of it. ;o) The 1/16 scale Trumpeter is the one to look at for incredible realism there. The work is fun and I have some stunning Builds to look at here on the Forum for ideas and inspiration as well.
Attachments
Conduit for the headlight wiring shaped and glued down..jpg
Conduit for the headlight wiring shaped and glued down..jpg
Cleaning up the putty.jpg
Cleaning up the putty.jpg
4th of July Abrams sparkler tanks I came across on Saturday.jpg
4th of July Abrams sparkler tanks I came across on Saturday.jpg
Another view.jpg
Another view.jpg
Lead wire provides the stops for those hatch retainers..jpg
Lead wire provides the stops for those hatch retainers..jpg
I'll have to get out the Dremel to drill out the engine hatch lift assist...Center marked it for later....jpg
I'll have to get out the Dremel to drill out the engine hatch lift assist...Center marked it for later....jpg
Lead wire for the tank vent pipe.jpg
Lead wire for the tank vent pipe.jpg
Hatch cowlings made up and glued into place.jpg
Hatch cowlings made up and glued into place.jpg
Finding a use for some very thin rubberized tape....jpg
Finding a use for some very thin rubberized tape....jpg
Working with putty to fill holes and gaps.jpg
Working with putty to fill holes and gaps.jpg
Last edited by PainlessWolf on Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Continued:
Attachments
Tarp mount drill holes eyeballed in using the marks from Saturday and there was plenty of room for adjustment...Mounts made from lead wire....jpg
Tarp mount drill holes eyeballed in using the marks from Saturday and there was plenty of room for adjustment...Mounts made from lead wire....jpg
Rough mark outs for the tarp cover mounts.jpg
Rough mark outs for the tarp cover mounts.jpg
...Here for the Dawn...
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

I wonder if the Trumpeter upper would fit the Torro lower?
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning,
With all of the successful T-34 Builds using Trumpeter Uppers and Turrets on HL and Taigen Lowers, I would imagine so. The plastic used in those models is ( as I recall reading, could be wrong here ) of a different type ( styrene ? ) and requires some reinforcement to make the transition into a running RC Tank from a kit designed to be static. Here, Torro has done all of that for me and I am happy to come along and add the detailing to bring the Eye-Candy. ;o)
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

A little spare time time today saw me back at the Jagdtiger and working on detailing the Casemate...
Attachments
Up Next!.jpg
Up Next!.jpg
Careful drilling after applying the Mark One eyeball gives the cast Hatch some depth.jpg
Careful drilling after applying the Mark One eyeball gives the cast Hatch some depth.jpg
Some cleanup with a file and the addition of a small mirrored lens produces a much better detail part.jpg
Some cleanup with a file and the addition of a small mirrored lens produces a much better detail part.jpg
Basic Torro part.jpg
Basic Torro part.jpg
Basic Torro part.jpg (95.9 KiB) Viewed 1234 times
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

"Up Next!"...he laughingly noted... I hardly know where to begin. The piece looked great and I thought I could add a handle, drill a couple of mounting holes and install it. Sheared screw heads, broken solder points and a great deal of hours spent repairing and rebuilding the Brace finally saw it installed. More detail work will be needed to make it fit onto the armor like an original. Paint will definitely help.
Attachments
Works as advertised at least....jpg
Works as advertised at least....jpg
Even with the Mounting Holes made into Slots to allow for mount movement...This was the best I could do to get it to lay flat..jpg
Even with the Mounting Holes made into Slots to allow for mount movement...This was the best I could do to get it to lay flat..jpg
A goodly amount of diamond filing required to make those pieces rotate past each other.jpg
A goodly amount of diamond filing required to make those pieces rotate past each other.jpg
Seven hours later after things that did not fit began to break... All moving pieces and some non moving on the Brace rebuilt.....jpg
Seven hours later after things that did not fit began to break... All moving pieces and some non moving on the Brace rebuilt.....jpg
Addition of a simple handle and a long pin to replace the shorter screws used originally. One from each side again oddly enough..jpg
Addition of a simple handle and a long pin to replace the shorter screws used originally. One from each side again oddly enough..jpg
First disappointment was in having to remove my carefully preserved mounts...New piece was of the older variety with a later type crossbar oddly enough..jpg
First disappointment was in having to remove my carefully preserved mounts...New piece was of the older variety with a later type crossbar oddly enough..jpg
...Here for the Dawn...
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

You know, Painless; just because some of us don't post our feelings of jaw-dropping amazement with every update you show....does NOT mean that you're doing all this without a fascinated audience! I'm sorry for the frustrations you experienced in trying to get that gun crutch together, but it really was worth it - it sets off the front better than anything else possibly could! Your build is truly a reference for other folks' future Jagdtigers.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I also be enjoy someone else suffering like I did with mine!!
No pain-no gain !!

That’s why we do this hobby isn’t it?
We like the pain :eh:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
MITCH
Lance Corporal

Post by MITCH »

Fine and numerous details :thumbup: It is a very impressive work :clap:

Return to “Other Builds”