RC 1/16 Sd.Kfz. 165 Hummel Late Production - Build

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Re: RC 1/16 Sd.Kfz. 165 Hummel Late Production - Build

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,
This post is for the dampers.

Shown here is the damper model used on the Hummel.
Finally, something from Europe made its way to America today. These are resin Panzer IV ausf H suspension dampers BK-1602 from BitsKrieg. Designed for the static Trumpeter kit, i'm guessing there is nothing preventing their use of a slow going Hummel. Sells for about $25 on ebay. Quite expensive but any alternatives were not much cheaper and not as good looking.
Close up of the dampers on their resin hub. Cleaning them up takes about 15 minutes.
It comes with cardboard stencils for placement, a very good idea, as long as the builder is not putting the stencils in reverse, which is technically possible to do.
Verification with the Dragon chassis show that i am correct, and that the last damper is accurately ok to be lower than the others. It is the first time i am noticing this on the panzer IV.
Installation takes a few minutes, the dampers were put on while the back was soaking in superglue. I made some deep scratches under them on both sides in order to provide the glue with some stronger anchor points. Something i noticed works well for extra strength.
Looking good.
For comparison, here is a Heng Long Panzer IV damper.
Capture7.JPG (99.09 KiB) Viewed 2311 times
And this is the BitsKrieg. For my Hummel that is being built more like a RC running showcase than an RC battle tank, looks is important, although dusty at this time. Little details that adds to cost as well...
Capture8.JPG (99.92 KiB) Viewed 2311 times
Regards, Louis
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

Sometimes for things like this I will drill a small hole or two from the back and use a small coarse threaded screw being careful not to strip it as an extra mechanical measure beyond the superglue to hold them on. They look good.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning, Louis and Happy New years Eve!
Beautiful work with the Panzer chassis upgrades! I kept my recent Pz IV chassis from HL mostly stock in regards to the dampers. I did remove the molded on stops and replace them with same size felt pads. Any help that these early chassis' get is a good thing.
regards and following along,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Those look good Louis. I was considering (now decided) a late style set for my Tamiya Pz IV. :thumbup:

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi, thank you, Happy new year everyone !

I know everyone is happy to see 2020 gone, but it was an exciting 1/16 RC modelling year for me; M-113A1 MRV, TPZ-1, Sheridan, M16 GMC, Leopard C2 Mexas, 1/10 SAS WW2 desert Jeep, M5A1 Stuart, M3 Lee, Panzer 1B, Stug III G. The funds in the 2020 vacation budget were available... home bubble requires hobby. My wife had all the her flowers she wanted... My son spent the year on the web, online classes and social club. With IT working from home full time, the year went fast.

This post is for the internal brackets for the armor.

First task is to fill all the location holes on the fenders as there are no kit parts that can be reused for an accurate interior.
View of the left side. It is difficult to find good pictures of the interior of the Hummel. The interior is different than the Nashorn, and remaining vehicles are sometimes incomplete, or were restored with non original material. Those 2 braces are not simple plate that can be reproduced by a single plasticard part, they have a lot of features and it requires study from a few angles to determine how they are made. There is also a section going down into the tub that cannot be reproduced at this time as it would prevent the floor from being removable to access the track adjusters. The 1/35 kits were also very helpful.
The main brackets have welded reinforcement blades with dents in them that i decided to repro in brass corner strips. The dents are made with a large chainsaw file. There are differences in the references, showing different sizes for the dents, and in the number of them. My guess is that every vehicle was hand crafted without much standard. The idea is to build something that looks realistic.
Left side braces.
The side corner reinforcements are welded but the main brace is bolted to them, which seems to indicate the armor plates were removable. Its important to align the bolt head with the nuts on the other side.
Capture5.JPG (96.5 KiB) Viewed 2260 times
Capture6.JPG (73.23 KiB) Viewed 2260 times
The main brace on the right side is different, only a bar to link the two armored plates together.
Notice how different graphs and pictures show different sizes for the braces. Very confusing and none can be used as the ultimate reference. In the end, i used extrapolated dimensions and location from the 1/35 Dragon kit, not right either... It would have been better to just eyeball everything.
Right side braces. I also added the simpler ones for the back armor plate.
Capture9.JPG (97.79 KiB) Viewed 2260 times
Capture10.JPG (84.8 KiB) Viewed 2260 times
Last edited by lmcq11 on Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Better than museum quality modeling right here in front of our very eyes! Your eye for accurately reproducing scale details and the momentum you maintain is most amazing to lazy old modelers like me. I admire your brass fabricating skills. My attempts never turn out so clean.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Overview of the interior braces. Now with the armor reinforced, i can safely go ahead with the building of the howitzer.
View of the German 150mm sFH 18 howitzer, their main heavy WW2 howitzer on its carriage.
Capture11a.JPG (74.24 KiB) Viewed 2258 times
View of the "I Love Kit" (formerly Merit, Trumpeter) sFH 18. This is a very big gun and big kit. Notice the small size of the 1/16 Hummel chassis next to it... But most parts are for the carriage, with nicely done rubber wheels, really huge wheels.
This is no plasticard or 3D printed cottage industry stuff. This is an extremely well detailed plastic model, it can be built into a showcase of German WW2 artillery.
The main parts for the gun itself are on 4 sprues.
View of the mount on the 1/35 Dragon kit.
The base of the mount designed for the carriage can easily be modified to fit the Hummel. Ok, the integration should go relatively well.
Capture16.JPG (49.75 KiB) Viewed 2258 times
Now, let's build this howitzer.

Regards, Louis
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

This post is for the building of the howitzer, minus all the small, fine details and the sighting apparatus that will be installed later.

Howitzers are always complicated, for once, i had to closely follow the instructions. I am almost glad i do not have to build the carriage. Too bad though, the parts are beautiful, it would look awesome behind a Famo half track.
I was happy to confirm that the barrel can be made to recoil. I considered buying a metal replacement barrel but i was able to carefully glue the two plastic halves, file and polish for a seamless joint. Keeping the barrel light will also help with the planned recoil.
One change i did is replace the two small photo-etched sliding breech recoil attachments by a single equivalent 12mm wide brass strip, polished on the edge.
And then carefully positioned under the sliding breech for a solid, firm and smooth recoil against the rails of the cradle.
There is one design defect that needed correction. The equilibrators were not lowering the barrel enough. I had to remove material from the pistons inside. This change does not prevent the springs inside from operating correctly and its all hidden under the kit provided metal tubes.
Many references material were studied and cross reference to determine the position of the howitzer, including my old Bandai Hummel.
Good thing i previously extended the howitzer platform towards the rear, the original dimensions would have prevented installing the howitzer at the right position, it would have been almost 10mm too much up front.
At this point, everything is temporarily positioned to study the integration and determine the next steps for the electronics under it. I really want to give recoil to this howitzer and to design it without impacting the look and feel.
More details on following post.
Last edited by lmcq11 on Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Close up details of the howitzer main parts. All the secondary items, including the sighting apparatus are not yet installed. Although the old 1/15 Bandai kit howitzer was very good, this one in 1/16 has some extra features and overall finer detailing.
The equilibrators were polished to operate without any resistance for the spring inside.
For a realistic howitzer recoil, i have to find a method that provides at least 50mm of recoil...
Rifling on such a large visible gun barrel is a very nice feature of the kit. Something that would have been lost with a metal replacement.
Capture18.JPG (53.22 KiB) Viewed 2225 times
Regards, Louis
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

This post is for the howitzer recoil mechanism, with 2 Youtube videos of the howitzer in action at the end of the post.

I am familial with providing gun recoil to an RC tank, happy to the see the external barrel recoil by 10 to 20mm maximum. Creating 50mm of recoil for a visible sliding breech and not make any electronic or gears stick out is another ball game. It requires a different solution.

With the Hummel, the builder has the option of providing good barrel elevation, some limited horizontal adjustment and barrel recoil. Recoil on a self propelled howitzer, open fighting compartment without turret was prioritized over other functions. A realistic recoil for a heavy howitzer should allow the breech to slide much longer than a small caliber anti-tank gun, in this case, the recoil needs to be a whopping 50mm. In order for nothing to stick out in the fighting compartment, i selected a push rod based mechanism. Because the push rod need to be aligned to avoid too much friction that would lead to breakdown and also because of the heavy shock of such recoil, i gave up horizontal adjustment, the gun mount is fixed. This vehicle will have gun elevation and recoil.
A push rod is attached at the internal extremity of the sliding breech. The brass plate that runs along the internal rails of the cradle was reinforced in place with bolts once the perfect position has been determined with a couple of superglue drops and thoroughly tested.
I avoided over engineering and opted for something simple. A full size good quality servo teamed with a custom made arm that will swing the push rod to the required length.
I initially wanted horizontal adjustments so a gave the gun mount a thick brass tube the goes deep inside the hull and goes into a structure inside that ensures the gun is stable. You can see the push rod coming out of the cradle at a specific angles, aligned with the servo at the front of the chassis. You can also see the gun flash LED wires coming through the brass tube. Everything is pretty much hidden.
Gun flash wires run from the muzzle to about half the barrel, then go through the barrel attachment into the cradle, goes towards the rear glued to the sliding breech so that is does not interfere with the sliding. Then enough wire is let loose inside the cradle for the recoil, and then the wires exit the cradle from the bottom just above the brass tube, and then go into the brass tube, then into the lower hull to the control board.
I gave the gun flash two 5mm yellow LEDs for extra flash on such a large howitzer caliber. LEDs were sanded and glued together and made to fit and slide a bit into the barrel. LEDs are seen here before soldering the wires.
Installation of the recoil servo and push rod. Although the wire has some flexibility, it is better to align everything as much as it is technically possible at an angle and orientation that minimize friction along the way. It took a couple of attempt finding the perfect position.
A hole was made at the front of the gun mount, providing enough room for the push rod to operate freely. All this area will be hidden behind the gun shield.
The sliding breech at full recoil, going down 50mm, better than i expected.
Continuing on following post.
Last edited by lmcq11 on Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Other Builds”