RC 1/16 Sd.Kfz. 165 Hummel Late Production - Build

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.

Postby lmcq11 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:28 pm

Hi,

As the parts needed to finish the Stug build will likely not make it before the holidays, I decided to start a new build with the parts at hand.

This will be a 1/16 scale WW2 German Hummel self-propelled howitzer, full name is Panzerfeldhaubitze 18M auf Geschützwagen III/IV (Sf) Hummel, Sd.Kfz. 165. It will be a Late production model.

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Like many modelers, i already have a Bandai 1/15 Hummel. I built it 30 years ago. lt's one of Bandai better offering from the 1970s. It shows it age and would need a full rebuild. But it is designed to fit their unmodified Panzer IV chassis and is therefore inaccurate to the German armor experts. The Hummel was based on a hybrid Panzer III/IV chassis and is a bit longer. Lack of commonality with 1/16 parts on the market is also in incentive to build a new 1/16 scale model. But what does 1/16 mean. What i thought would be a simple calculation by extrapolating 1/35 references turned out to be complicated.

Of my three reference books, two of them have 1/35 graphs, "Panzer in Saumur Volume 3" and the "Militaria no 178 Hummel" books show major differences in their advertised 1/35 graphs as shown below. So, which one is right...

Capture3a.JPG

To help me with this build, i also have a Tamiya and Dragon 1/35 kits.

Shown here is the Tamiya 1/35 chassis next to the Panzer at Saumur book. The graph is too small.

Capture3b.JPG

The same Tamiya chassis next to the Militaria Hummel graph. The graph is too big...

Capture3c.JPG

When comparing the Tamiya and Dragon 1/35 chassis next to each other, they are equal. I will therefore use the 1/35 kits as references and look at any Hummel graph in books with great skepticism.

Capture3d.JPG

Both Dragon and Tamiya have excellent instructions, pictures and graphics will be a great help for the build.

Capture3e.JPG

As the Hummel will be a Late production model, the main difference is the frontal driver and radio crew compartment. The Late model has a wider cabin.

Capture3f.JPG

I did build a Dragon1/35 Hummel in the 90s, and modified it with a Commander resin kit to represent the Late production model.

Capture3g.JPG

Continuing on following post
Last edited by lmcq11 on Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

lmcq11
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Postby lmcq11 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:47 pm

Close up of the 1/35 Late model frontal crew cabin.

Capture4a.JPG

Some of the assembled parts for the build, accumulated over the years. The build will use the Ludwig Nashorn base kit in Polystyrene which is definitely not a kit for the beginners. It is just now, in the middle of a pandemic and with nothing else to do during the holidays that i summoned the courage to build it. I build the Juckengurg Nashorn a few years ago, which also offered a Hummel. Juckenburg was retaken by MK Modellbau but they never issued both. The Nashorn kit was not very good.

Capture5.JPG

I will be using a set of Taigen metal suspension. These have flaws. Although each unit can be made to swivel easily on its main axel, the leaf spring between the two arms is too strong and barely move. But as they were available on the parts shelf and the Hummel is not exactly a main battle tank where suspension is important for high speed maneuvers, the Hummel is the best candidate to finally make use of them. Let's see what i can do to make them look good and functional as best as possible.

Capture6.JPG

Instead of a 88mm anti-tank gun of the Nashorn, the Hummel will be mounted with the powerful 15 cm sFH 18 L/30 howitzer from Trumpeter, now somehow with a "I love kit" branding. I must have missed the renaming of the brand. The plan is to give the howitzer servo elevation and some rotation. It is un-determined if recoil can be provided without damaging the look of the howitzer. Space is also very limited inside the hull for any electronics than bare essentials. On this build with open crew compartment, accuracy is more important to me than recoil. This very detailed 1/16 scale model howitzer should look very good. The plan is to provide crews for the howitzer., a moving diorama...

Capture7.JPG

A set of Mato metal Panzer III gearbox will be used. After the bad experience with the Mato Sherman M4A1 plastic gearbox on the M3 Lee build, i will stick with them.

Capture8.JPG

Looking at the Ludwig kit, i cannot find any reason why Chris created these crater like location holes for the suspension dampers and return rollers. If anything, the plastic underneath them should be made stronger, not thinner. There is barely any plastic left for support. Maybe the thinking is that these parts can be made by cannibalizing a Heng Long Panzer IV chassis, and insert the HL chassis root of these parts into these holes. There are no instructions to indicate the intent. The pictures on the Ludwig website do not cover all the construction steps and parts...

Capture9.JPG
Capture9.JPG (94.22 KiB) Viewed 820 times

My first task was therefore to fill these with plasticard and superglue as i have better plans.

Capture10.JPG

And i installed the side armor reversed so that the flat surface side is shown externally. This is a quick remedy for the situation.

Capture11.JPG

The main parts for the chassis are assembled in no time.

Capture12.JPG

As with any Ludwig kit, the holes, interlocking joints and gaps between parts need to be taken care of.

Capture12a.JPG
Last edited by lmcq11 on Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:16 pm, edited 6 times in total.

lmcq11

Postby lmcq11 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:03 pm

Plasticard residue strips and superglue are thrown in every gaps. The modeler must resist the temptation of emptying tubes of putty in these gaps. They will take an eternity to dry and won't be solid, they will break. These superglued strips can be sanded and levelled with the main parts even while the glue is still soft, creating a good bond. Superglue mixed with sanded plasticard particles is actually the best hull putty available. Just need a good reserve of MAKARTT nail files in 100, 180 and 240 grit, cheaply available by the dozen on Amazon.

Capture12d.JPG

Testors putty is only used in very thin layers or small holes. Application will take a few layers to get it smooth.

Capture12f.JPG

The chassis is thoroughly sanded, and dimensions are close to the extrapolated 1/35 references, with a tolerable couple of mm of differences in length compared to Tamiya. Its a bit too long.

Capture12g.JPG

I had a Tamiya 1/16 Panzer IV sprue leftover from a conversion build many years ago. The plan i have is to reuse the mounting bars for the suspension.

Capture13.JPG

Showing how the Tamiya suspension mount parts compare to the provided Ludwig parts, no contest.

Capture14.JPG

The Ludwig chassis has more distance between the suspension unit mount faces. I decided to cut these.

Capture15.JPG

The distance between the Tamiya 1/16 Panzer IV part matched the equivalent distance on the Tamiya Hummel 1/35 kit. I therefore decided to go with the Tamiya part and distance. Here being dry fit for calculations and placement.

Capture15a.JPG

Showing how the Tamiya mount size compared to the Heng Long chassis. There are the same. It is therefore an excellent option to cannibalize a Heng Long Panzer IV chassis for parts for this built, with lots of cutting... Each of the HL running train component (whole suspension, dampers, return rollers and mount) can technically be cut, sanded and prepared for transplant on the Ludwig flat hull. This would be a cheaper option for modeler going with plastic tracks.

Capture16.JPG

The Tamiya part is modified to accept the Taigen suspension screw for mounting .

Capture17.JPG

And installed on the Ludwig chassis.

Capture18.JPG
Last edited by lmcq11 on Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.

lmcq11

Postby lmcq11 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:17 pm

I wanted to use Asiatam metal suspension housing but it looks like they will take months to make it from Germany to America, so i decided to use Trumpeter plastic Panzer IV instead that i had on inventory. They are very nicely detailed. These were purchased separately on ebay for a few dollars for replacement on a planned Heng Long based Jagdpanzer IV but used here instead... It is actually possible to get a Trumpeter Panzer IV for between $160-200 on ebay or on sale elsewhere. Buying a whole Trumpeter kit for RC conversion or parts can be cheaper than buying specific components from sellers that resell individual sprues at a premium.

Capture19.JPG

They need modifications for use in RC operations.

Capture20.JPG

They replaced the provided Ludwig parts with much less work and better results.

Capture21.JPG

They are mounted on the chassis at the right calculated height.

Capture22.JPG

The Taigen suspension units are installed in no time.

Capture23.JPG

Capture23a.JPG

Close up view of the Trumpeter Panzer IV suspension housings.

Capture24.JPG

One of the metal cap is put on for testing purposes. These will be installed only after running trials.

Capture25.JPG

Sadly, the set of metal roadwheel with rubber bands i had on inventory do not have ball bearings. Not wanting to throw these away or keep them on shelves for more years, they are used on this build. They are ok but require a lot of fine tuning, and a washer.

Capture26.JPG

The metal road wheels are installed. The Hummel will run Mato metal tracks.

Capture27.JPG
Last edited by lmcq11 on Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

lmcq11

Postby lmcq11 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:22 pm

Capture28.JPG

Capture29.JPG
Capture29.JPG (99.06 KiB) Viewed 813 times

After adjustments, the suspension units and roadwheel work correctly. They are pretty tight, not loose like Heng Long.

Capture30.JPG

View of the newly created 1/16 Hummel chassis next to my old Bandai 1/15 Hummel. They are about the same size, showing that the Bandai model is too short for the scale. Another thin application of putty was done on the chassis for later sanding and polishing.

Capture31.JPG

That's it for today. Merry Christmas everyone.

Louis

lmcq11

Postby Tiger6 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:59 pm

Sadly a lot of these 'plans' in books are done by people with a 'technical illustration' background, rather than Engineers / Draughtsmen - the later produces drawings of 'the thing' so that it can be manufactured, the former produces drawings so that 'the thing' can be understood - its really not the same skill set and/or approach to the problem.

Tiger6
Staff Sergeant

Postby lmcq11 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:10 pm

Merry Christmas !!

Here we have the installation of the gearbox and sprockets.

As the Mato gearbox comes with its own metal base plate with pre-drilled holes, a new plasticard mount at the proper height is created to support it. The Ludwig plasticard motor plate is discarded.

Capture2.JPG

The Hummel and Nashorn have to be equipped with Panzer III sprocket gear hubs, not Panzer IV. These are Mato metal hubs available at Mato Mart. I moved the gearbox about 2mm towards the rear compared to the Ludwig pre-drilled holes for the shafts. Installing these hubs is important for the look because they show a lot from the front even when the sprocket is on.

Capture4.JPG

I removed with a hand metal file about 1mm from the sprocket shaft in order to better align the sprocket with the road wheels.

Capture5.JPG

I installed the hubs at an eyeballed angle seen in references.

Capture6.JPG

The metal sprocket are put on.

Capture7.JPG

The Hummel and Nashorn were always equipped with Panzer III sprockets. It would be a mistake to install Panzer IV sprockets, as sometimes seen.

Capture8.JPG

Its the first time i notice the markings on those metal sprockets. I checked the web to see if they were accurate or imaginary.

Capture9.JPG

I have found the same markings on one picture of the exterior face of a Panzer III sprocket on Prime Portal. The markings are the same, except its upside down and smaller. Still, not bad. There are likely much variations as i noticed PzIII sprockets without any obvious markings on the exterior face.

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (45.11 KiB) Viewed 735 times

View of the gearbox installation. The Mato base plate is solidly installed on the plasticard mounting, with hex bolts going all the way through the hull bottom.

Capture10.JPG

Overview of the model as it stands today.

Capture11.JPG

Regards, Louis

lmcq11

Postby Tiger6 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:01 am

Looking good 8) :thumbup:

Tiger6
Staff Sergeant

Postby Ad Lav » Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:07 am

Wow, two builds on the go - you are very busy in the modelling dept.

Watching along.
Ad Lav
Lieutenant

Postby FredtheFrench » Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:26 pm

Woaaaahhhh!!!! Amazing job!!! Every time, each of your project is absoluty fantastic.
FredtheFrench
Corporal

Postby Will01Capri » Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:07 pm

Absolutely amazing
Great work
Will01Capri
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Postby lmcq11 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:54 pm

Hi,

Thank you everyone for your encouragements. I think it is going well.

This post is for the Idler wheel.

All versions of both Hummel and Nashorn were equipped with early style Panzer IV idler wheels.

Capture.JPG

Before figuring out the track adjuster arrangement, i want to see the inside of the hull where it connects. These central parts were installed as per pictures.

Capture2.JPG

This is what i wanted to see. There is a plasticard part that need to be glued against the rear walls. It both serve as reinforcement for the Idler arrangement and base for the fighting compartment floor that will sit on it. I determined it is 7mm too high + 2mm for the thickness of the floor for a total of 9mm that need to be cut before this part is glued in place.

Capture2a.JPG
Capture2a.JPG (92.89 KiB) Viewed 658 times

After the cut, the parts are permanently glued.

Capture3.JPG

Mato Metal Panzer IV idler wheels with ball bearing are used. For the adjuster, i cannibalized a Mato Sherman idler adjuster to reuse the central axel.

Capture4.JPG

The internal size of the Mato ball bearings are the same between the Sherman and Panzer IV idler, the axel is simply connected to the Panzer IV idler wheel with the same bolt and washer. Not everything has to be a struggle...

Capture5.JPG

View of the Tamiya chassis next to the Ludwig. I could previously see that the pre-drilled hole was not correctly located, too high, too much forward and is too big. It is probably designed for a Henntec idler adjuster/tensioner. When i ordered one from Henntec in Germany, Guido cancelled the order indicating that he no longer ships to America during the pandemic. Which leaves me to design and build my own track adjuster.

Capture6.JPG

Might as well do something that looks like the real thing. Close up on the Tamiya idler external arrangement.

Capture7.JPG
Capture7.JPG (58.1 KiB) Viewed 658 times

First task was to create a core body for the idler adjuster axel. As seen on many items on my past builds, It is made of overlapping brass tubes, from the size required for the Mato axel, and going up to the required size for the look and feel. What is important is to have brass tubes of the same brand designed to easily overlap, otherwise it could end up to be a frustrating struggle.

Capture8.JPG

The pre-drilled holes are fully plugged inside and out, and measurements are extrapolated from the 1/35 kit for the placement of the new Idler wheel axel.

Capture9.JPG
Capture9.JPG (88.3 KiB) Viewed 658 times

Continuing on following post
Last edited by lmcq11 on Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:19 am, edited 3 times in total.

lmcq11

Postby lmcq11 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:07 am

New hole is made.

Capture10.JPG
Capture10.JPG (86.71 KiB) Viewed 656 times

After gluing the overlapping tubes, the new idler adjuster body is positioned at the right depth, glued and reinforced in place. The idler need to be perfectly aligned with the road wheels.

Capture11.JPG
Capture11.JPG (96.37 KiB) Viewed 656 times

View of the Hummel track adjuster. Notice the presence of a device to push loose track pins back inside the track as the tank advances or back up, its called a Ketten-Abstandshalter, something i have only seen on the Hummel and Nashorn.

Capture12.JPG

This device is on sale from a seller on eBay Germany. For the cost, it saves a lot of scratchbuilding time.

Capture12a.JPG

Views of the new base for the track adjuster with the Ketten-Abstandshalter.

Capture13.JPG

Capture14.JPG

Views with the idler wheel installed. It works perfectly. It might look like this was easy but it was a lot of work, taking at least 4 hours.

Capture15.JPG

Capture16.JPG

Capture17.JPG

The model as it stands today.

Capture18.JPG

Regards, Louis

lmcq11

Postby lmcq11 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:12 am

Hi,

This post is for the howitzer platform.

View of the Tamiya early production hummel. What is of interest here is the howitzer platform for the mount and the floor of the fighting compartment for the crew. Lots of details that will be reproduced later. Notice the lozenge style tread plates. Measurements are taken to verify the Ludwig dimensions. Ludwig dimensions are usually very good but because the floor was 9mm to high (corrected yesterday), i had strong suspicions of other issues.

Capture.JPG

For now, the Ludwig parts are assembled for the central mount.

Capture2.JPG

All the electronics will need to reside under the gun mount. There is only enough space at the back to place the battery, The main gun platform part is installed. It was later given a reinforcement beams under it at the front.

Capture3.JPG

Now, let's see the situation. It does not take long to notice a major problem. The gun platform is short by 14.3mm compared to the Tamiya dimensions extrapolated to 1/16. I do not mind 1 to 3mm but 14.3mm, that won't go unnoticed. You can actually see the issue and gap just by eyeballing it. It would likely be an issue mounting the gun as well. After some analysis, it needs to be extended at the front and rear. I am noticing that the angle of the glacis is too small so the extension at the front will solve this issue at the same time. The fighting compartment is 9.3mm to long, so extending the gun platform towards the rear will resolve some of it. Humm, i am not happy, Ludwig kit dimensions are usually better than this. I will take time to correct this, something that could have been easily avoided.

Capture4.JPG

An extension of 6.5mm is created for the front. A beam made of 4mm thick plasticard is placed underneath to reinforce the platform.

Capture5.JPG

I decided to add 5mm of plasticard thickness at the back, as it is sloped, it should resolve the gap. First, a rough spacer layer of 3mm is added around the frame.

Capture6.JPG

Then a 2mm plasticard layer is shaped and installed on top for a smooth finish, using Tamiya as reference. The bottom plate is given a small sloped angle. Notice how the floor of the fighting compartment is removable, providing access to the track adjuster. As the central gun platform is fixed, access to the electronics will be though the removable glacis. Not much can be located under the floor at the back other than the battery. I want to put the speakers on the side air vents.

Capture7.JPG

Now, the glacis is 124mm long, perfect. The gun platform is 85mm long, perfect. The crew compartment is still 4mm too long, which corresponds to the overall oversized dimension of the chassis seen before, nothing i can do about it but its better than the previous 9.3mm.

Capture8.JPG

The provided base for the gun mount.

Capture9.JPG

Capture10.JPG

Regards, Louis

lmcq11

Postby lmcq11 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:58 am

Hi,

Continuing with the build.

Fenders are installed and i made sure the whole length is flat. No issue.

Capture.JPG

These are the ducts for the air intake, connected of the gun platform. No issue. But as usual, the interlocking joints need work for a smooth finish, first filled with plasticard residue mixed with dust and superglue, then immediately sanded for a smooth and solid finish..

Capture2.JPG

Before the side armor plates are installed, it is the right time to detail the interior under the howitzer and the floor. Getting there, progress is good, not getting bugged down anywhere now, its all cosmetics.

Capture3.JPG

This pipe is a device to bring warm air from the engine to the crew. With an open fighting compartment, the benefits must have been limited unless a tarp is used.

Capture4.JPG

Let's give some treadplates to this floor, an easy step when you have the right material and reference...

Capture5.JPG

The lozenge pattern seen on the 1/35 kits is reproduced using JTT 97457 Tread Plate O-scale, a pretty good match. Comes in large plastic plates, purchased on eBay for a few dollars.

Capture6.JPG

The almost completed floor after an hour of work. Showing treadplates is important for a open fighting compartment like this.

Capture7.JPG

Capture8.JPG

Added the welded reinforcements seen in reference pictures. The two pipes sticking out of the floor are for filling up the fuel tanks under it.

Capture9.JPG
Capture9.JPG (96.74 KiB) Viewed 565 times

Capture10.JPG

Next step, the armor plates of the fighting compartment.

Regards, Louis

lmcq11

Postby lmcq11 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:05 am

Hi,
This post is for the armor of the fighting compartment.

As seen in reference pictures, the Hummel and Nashorn side armor was only 10mm thick, good enough to protect only against small arms fire and shrapnel, and no protection against airburst.

Capture.JPG

The thickness of the 10mm is quite visible.

Capture2.JPG

Sadly, Christian decided to build the armor using 2mm thick plasticard. This equals to a Hummel with 32mm of armor thickness, way too much for this vehicle. It impacts the look and feel.

Capture3.JPG

The side plates are also resting on the fenders instead of enveloping them, which can be made to look ok, but it could have been avoided.

Capture4.JPG

Deep positioning holes and trench like armor separation also pushed me towards creating a new set of armor for the Hummel.

Capture5.JPG
Capture5.JPG (99.21 KiB) Viewed 525 times

Although a 0.75mm plasticard thickness would have been closer to represent the 10mm of armor, i found it too weak. I opted for a 1mm plasticard, good resistance and which also facilitates the calculations for the required adjustments. To go from 2mm to 1mm plasticard, 1mm was added to the interior sections as the 1mm removed from the armor is given to the overall interior of the vehicle, and as the armor will envelop the fenders, 1mm is removed from them and then given the required angle.

Capture6.JPG
Capture6.JPG (75.02 KiB) Viewed 525 times

The dimensions of the kit 2mm thick armor sections are excellent and make perfect stencils for the new 1mm thick armor. The kit parts are applied against a 1mm sheet of plasticard with a couple of small drops of superglue and the parts are cut. The new armor is created in minutes.

Capture7.JPG

The armor plates are installed, perfect fit.

Capture8.JPG

This build is a dusty operation.

Capture9.JPG

The back plate needed some adjustment first by removing the resting base for the kit 1mm thick doors. There is no reason for them anymore as the doors are now of the same thickness as the armor, as they should be. Then the creation of the back plate is done using the same process. I added 1mm on each sides to compensate for the reduction of the side armor.

Capture10.JPG
Last edited by lmcq11 on Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:19 am, edited 4 times in total.

lmcq11

Postby lmcq11 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:10 am

Back plate installed.

Capture11.JPG

Frontal plates need adjustments, repro with same process.

Capture12.JPG
Capture12.JPG (93.9 KiB) Viewed 522 times

The front panel were put in place with a couple of drops of superglue. I will permanently glue them only after the situation with the howitzer installation has been determined.

Capture13.JPG

Capture14.JPG

Capture15.JPG

View inside the air intakes. By removing the brackets seen between the two holes, i will be able to squeeze in a small speaker on both sides.

Capture16.JPG
Capture16.JPG (95.97 KiB) Viewed 522 times

Overview of the model as it stands today

Capture17.JPG

Regards, Louis

lmcq11

Postby Jimster » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:21 am

Good God Almighty! Your modeling skills are so far above it’s incredible. You could put together a beautiful book with color photos and “how to” chapters covering so many different models. It’s always a thread that I have to keep up with for sure.
Jimster
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Postby HERMAN BIX » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:44 am

Ole Chris L doesnt need to make flash instruction manuals..............he can direct customers to Mr Mcq11's builds :haha:
HERMAN BIX
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby lmcq11 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:50 pm

Thanks Jimster and Herman, The Ludwig instructions on the Nashorn kit are specially limited, some areas are not shown at all but the hull is not puzzling. The number of parts is limited and its usually obvious how they fit. I am doing a lot of free styling on this one so this is no way a standard kit assembly instruction. As i will not be using the provided 88mm anti-tank gun parts, its a load off because i can see that it would be a struggle to build that 88 and make it look good.

This post is for the air intakes.

Here are the two ref pictures used.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

These are the air intake parts provided in the kit. Looking good. No assembly instructions are provided but it takes about 1 minutes to figure out.

Capture3.JPG

Straitforward assembly, no issues.

Capture4.JPG

Capture5.JPG

The resulting parts are impressive. They are a perfect match with the references. When i recall the difficult efforts of cleaning the air intake resin parts on the Juckenburg Nashorn kit, this step is clean, easy and results are excellent.

Capture6.JPG

Some minor adjustments are required to install them. The armor above the air intake was 1mm short so i had to put a plasticard to brigde the gap, and then sand and polished for a seamless finish. This gap also exists on the unused Ludwig armor plate, so the mistake comes from there. To anyone doing the same 1mm thick armor as me, you should leave 1mm of extra armor above the air intake before cutting the part.

Capture7.JPG

Capture8.JPG

Now that the air intakes are in place, i decided to permanently glue the frontal side armor panel to seal that area. When compared to the pictures of the real one, i think this is as close as it can get.

Capture9.JPG

The model as it stands right now. The Hummel is taking shape.

Capture10.JPG

Regards, Louis

lmcq11

Next

Return to Other Builds