SU76i

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: SU76i

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

Looks to me like a restoration using parts from a t34 for the gun
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
RobW

Post by RobW »

They did modify a couple of Stugs & looked at the P4 too so it's possible there are a few designs out there. It'd be an odd museum re-design as opposed to (say) a different turret of the same-ish version.
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

I say it looks odd due to the thickness of the material used on the sides of the gun mount. You can see in the pic the material is very thin where the material is riveted to the upper hull. Those rounded cheeks are not rough enough to be cast IMO as most of them were on Soviet tanks of the era. The casemate itself looks genuine, it's the entire gun mounting system that looks off.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Exhibitedbrute

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

I have no doubt in my mind that the lower photo is of a panzer iii based version it is also in my mind likely it was battle damaged (notice the missing central return roller) the gun I also have little doubt that it is a t34 gun mount. I run the risk here of coming to the conclusion that a unit being built up from what ever was available is quite likely in this case the possibility of fitting a gun from damaged a t34. They have after all converted a panzer iii

However it is also plausible that the lower photo is of a prototype/try it and see what happens as my research suggest that almost all converted units were destroyed or re-captured
LordPanzer
Lance Corporal

Post by LordPanzer »

I have been eyeing this kit as well for a alittle while myself. Seems like a basic less expensive kit to get into. Thank you for your thoughts on the quality of the casting. I'm curious if barrel traverse elevation and recoil mounts came with the kit or your plans to add them ? Any plans on electronics or sound set for this build?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

It does look like one of the simpler conversion kits. Since most of my armor is Russian I've also been looking at building one although I'm not sure I want the Vandra kit after the SU-100 arrived. I'm also not a fan of the rough 3D printed versions I've seen. After dealing with the SU-152 3D printed stuff I'm not sure I want to deal with that again also. If there were a resin 3D printed version, that would ideal at this point.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Exhibitedbrute

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

Lord panzer there are mounts with the kit. A recoil unit could be attached with some mods. I will show those when my recoil and elevation unit is printed.

As for the kit itself and other kits I have worked with Ludwig usually has the better resin cast kits. Mk modellbau also does some very good castings

Deans Sherman turrets and stowage parts are also good quality.

Vandra on the other hand can be hit and miss. But the parts that are usually dodgy you can buy metal parts of but he does do a lot that no one else does.

My su100 and su85 came from annibrimodelbau and were quite good. However he seems to have stopped trading about 2 years ago
Exhibitedbrute

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

Coming together nicely I think
Attachments
8C7E5E9D-23A5-47F2-866D-35A3DAE60CC9.jpeg
Exhibitedbrute

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

Same story here really, mostly filler but the aerial mount has been fitted and tested along with a test fit of the gun barrel
Attachments
D6A569A6-053F-42D3-94D3-E0241CC4ABE4.jpeg
D6A569A6-053F-42D3-94D3-E0241CC4ABE4.jpeg (82.1 KiB) Viewed 1181 times

Return to “Other Builds”