Sturmgeschütz - StuG III G Late - Alkett 1944 - build

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: Sturmgeschütz - StuG III G Late - Alkett 1944 - build

Post by HERMAN BIX »

That travel lock is magnificent Mr Cq11, the close defence weapon not so nice, but you have a plan for that already.
How did you find the mounting of the Saukopf Mantlet to the existing hardware ?
I have done one for a mate and it was a bit less than confidence inspiring in its mounting security if you get me.
The reccomended use of self tapping screws was a terrifying prospect 8O
On the list of projects for me is a StuG with a Saukopf & I would appreciate your insight into the methodology you used to secure it.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

HERMAN BIX wrote:How did you find the mounting of the Saukopf Mantlet to the existing hardware ?
I have done one for a mate and it was a bit less than confidence inspiring in its mounting security if you get me.
The reccomended use of self tapping screws was a terrifying prospect
On the list of projects for me is a StuG with a Saukopf & I would appreciate your insight into the methodology you used to secure it.
Hi Herman,
Self tapping screws... i don't think so.
If you get an ATAK Saukopf, it should pretty much be a plug in replacement of the Heng Long part.
1/16 RC Sturmgeschütz - StuG III G Late - Alkett 1944 - build
Capture.JPG (28.15 KiB) Viewed 1942 times
In my case with the PanzerParts Saukopf, the whole gun and mantlet were removed from the hull. The triagular portion of the Heng Long mantlet is cut and once the base of the mantlet has been made flat, the Saukopf is just simply glued in place. The Saukopf itself does not have to sustain much pressure, its just for appearances. The main challenge of the build was the barrel replacement and the installation of the Clark recoil. There are no pre-positioned molded-in slot or screw arrangement for the recoil unit and it need to be positioned at a perfect center with the mantlet and barrel sleeve put inside the Saukopf. The mantlet has an angle and i gave the same angle to the tip of the recoil unit. The recoil unit is first positioned strait on the mantlet with a couple of superglue drops to find the perfect center location, it takes a few times, then tested, then the whole arrangement is reinforced in place with glued plasticard strips against the side brackets, while keeping the elevation flexible.
The whole gun mount integrated with the mantlet and recoil unit was re-inserted into the hull from the outside (some squeezing is required after cutting a few unnecessary elements inside the hull), and M3 hex bolts are used to fix the mantlet back into its mounting screw holes on the upper hull. It can be easily removed for maintenance.
thanks, Louis
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

This post is for the remote control machine gun.

Dragon kit box art showing a Late model Stug III with the remote control machine gun which replaced the shield and manually handled MG34.
As seen in the Panzerfile book, the mount is complicated. It has its own periscope and articulations for rotation, elevation and trigger.
View of the PanzerParts.com Modellino Late Stug machine gun kit. The parts have been prepared, cleaned, polished and ready for assembly. It is reasonably complete, i would not be able to do better. The whole Modellino kit is a good deal for the price, avoiding a lot of scratch building. The stock for the MG34 is optional and did not install it. This kit is like a small silver jewel.
The shields have pre-drilled location holes and need to be mounted with small screws. I selected M1.2 brass bolts and drilled the holes in the bracket mount accordingly for a solid installation. I filed the bolt heads to make them a bit less thick and the bolt themselves need to be cut to about 4mm long.
Overview of the finished Late Stug remote control machine gun mount.
Overview of the model as it stands today.
Regards, Louis
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

A short post for the spare track link rack.

On the Late Stug models, the spare track rack was moved from the front plate to the back of the fighting compartment. The rack and attachment points are of a more elaborate style and need to be scratch built.
Capture1.JPG (86.42 KiB) Viewed 1904 times
The side attachment points were made in plasticard strips and the metal parts are assembled for the final contruction. A 4*2mm brass channel beam is used for the rack itself.
The new spare track holder is ready. The long metal rod of the butterfly nuts were kept and they go all the way into the plasticard bracket for a more solid integration.
The Zimmerit need to be grinded under every brackets put on the model.
The gun cleaning poles and fasteners needed to be installed a bit more towards the rear to allow the spare tracks to be put on the rack, testing is required before the glue sets. Otherwise, the spare tracks won't be able to fit on the rack above the rods. The rods were shortened a bit and the bracket was given a metal butterfly nut for better detail.
Regards, Louis
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,
This post is for the rear stowage rack and the small tools.

As i still awaits important parts like the metal rollers and gun muzzle, i am completing secondary areas around the vehicle.

Many Stugs in the field had a stowage rack on the rear deck, many were added in the field so there are variations. I decided to use the version on this graph for the measurements (length, height, thickness of material..).
Nothing new here, its been done countless of times. I would have done it in plasticard strips in the past but my soldering skills have improved a bit this year so i was tempted to do it in 3mm wide brass strips. Its a lot more solid and realistic.
Here we have a Stug rear deck stowage rack. It was mounted with M1 screws.
Going around the vehicle. Tools are from a mixture of suppliers, Mato for the axe, fire extinguisher, and screw bar, Tamiya for Panzer IV jack and cutter, Heng Long for the hammer, jack block and the metal bar on the other side, mounted with Shapeways brackets.
Anyone that grinds the Heng Long molded-in tools must find alternatives that fit and fully cover the grinded area. It is also impossible to redo the diamond tread plates on those areas. To my displeasure, I had difficulty finding a shovel in my RC junkyard that covers the mess created by the grinding underneath. I put a brass handle on the shovel and gave it a Shapeways bracket, same for the heng long metal bar.
Heng Long put a headlight on the front right fender. Such headlight never existed and must be totally removed for an accurate Stug. The grinding of the mount leaves a large hole in the treadplate that i decided to cover using a field modification, here using a spare track link held by a Tamiya bracket.
Overview of the model as it stands today.
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Stunning work Louis :clap: I always admire your style and design unpainted as much as finished :thumbup:
Tanks alot.... :wave:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

:O Dazzling work as usual, Louis, along with a masterclass in which materials, and accessories, to source and use. :clap:
Resin Saukopf and Concrete casemate parts were supplied with my StuG IV kit, from Asiatam- but I must admit to being dismayed with the quality of the kit overall. (Warped upper hull, poorly fitting parts etc...) :problem: I think even you might lose some patience attempting to fix its shortcomings. :)
The tip about Atak waffle pattern Zimmerit, is certainly worth a mental 'Post-it'- or even a written one! :thumbup: I have some die stamps for making waffle and lined Zimmerit, but the Atak solution removes- as you say- some of the 'risk' factor. :D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Thank you Carl and 43rdRecceReg
43rdRecceReg wrote:Resin Saukopf and Concrete casemate parts were supplied with my StuG IV kit, from Asiatam- but I must admit to being dismayed with the quality of the kit overall. (Warped upper hull, poorly fitting parts etc...) I think even you might lose some patience attempting to fix its shortcomings
Yeah, got that Stug IV also. One of my early attempt long time ago. Upper hull was so warped and wrong. I ended up replacing the rear deck with a sloped Juckenburg resin deck and metal engine doors. After that one, i felt confident tackling a Ludwig kit...
Stug IV
Stug IV
Stug IV
Stug IV
Stug IV
Stug IV
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

:clap: :D Well, having seen what you achieved with the StuG IV, Louis,- another peerless Panzer, I think I shall just leave mine gathering dust on the shelf... ;)
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Your threads would be required reading in rc tank building school! The finished product will be stunning.

Return to “Other Builds”