I'm not a Sherman guy but... Jussek's M4A3(76) 'Soul Reaper'

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: I'm not a Sherman guy but...

Post by Tiger6 »

I think you have listed most of the ones I would look at. The only other source I have is Wonderland Models in the UK - they have been able to special order parts before, but I notice that they don't really advertise that any more - plus Brexit would make shipping harder than it would otherwise be...

I think guys like Frankie tends to pick up second hand Tamiya's, and strip them for parts to be honest.
Exhibitedbrute

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

Last time I spoke to frank at the club he said his fury suspension was sourced from a used tamiya hull stripped for parts so I think that’s still the case, although he prints a lot of parts now for his builds as well
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
Jussek
Sergeant

Post by Jussek »

hi chaps

to this day i haven't found all the parts needed, nor any lower hull from tamiya... i found two of the ooooolder ones but as adviced in this thread i didn't even consider it

for their price, i think tamiya is abandoning her clients, or not providing the service they have paid for. So you invest hunderds of €$£ on a model, and if you need to repair some damage, the parts are difficult to find, even impossible.

well, if i cannot find the parts needed, when the time comes i will took the plan B route
Jussek

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Club-RC-Reus-Secci%C3%B3-de-Modelisme-Militar-Radiocontrolat-PzGr-Tarraco/639220812799552
Tiger6

Post by Tiger6 »

in the short term there is always option C - build the regular 76(w) on the HL chassis ;)
Jussek
Sergeant

Post by Jussek »

morning chaps

utterly dissapointed with my search and the idea of building an Easy 8 :thumbdown: ... i switched to plan D...

I decided that it was not worth buying all the necessary components to convert it into a 76mm model because it was more expensive than buy a new one, so I have reached an agreement with a friend from the club to buy my Sherman HL so that his daughter can start to drive tracked vehicles, and I jumped headfirst and bought from Dominique the taigen m4a3 (76) w model, an elmod pro, and the metal wheels with bearings for the tiki (this tank already is 10 years old and the roadwheels have had a lot of trotting)

What I did not think of asking Dominique is if to connect the elmod in a taigen there was a need for some kind of extra cable, I have never had a taigen tank and I don't know what connectors it has inside...

So in a few days in the Panzodrom there will already be five shermans and a pershing tanks, so that I will balance a bit the forces with so many German tanks ;D

best regards
Jussek

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Club-RC-Reus-Secci%C3%B3-de-Modelisme-Militar-Radiocontrolat-PzGr-Tarraco/639220812799552
Jussek
Sergeant

Post by Jussek »

hello guys

I finally bought the taigen M4A3 (76) at rctank.de, I have to admit that this model with the T23 turret gains a lot, it is not as ugly as the HL :haha: , the latter was given to me for my birthday almost a year ago, and in the end I have sold it to a friend, so I have recovered part of what it cost to reinvest it in the taigen. I haven't done to it almost anything yet, just install the antenna, wich i also bought at rctank.de

I'm waiting for the stencils that Rad is making for me, to repaint it minimally and do the weathering.

although first I want to install the elmod fuson pro F that I also bought at rctank.de and the functional upper hull hatches from mato, so I can close the belly holes and move the switch under the driver's hatch

buuuut, i've a question for the sherman experts... as i will disasemble the IR emiter, and then move the turret coax machinegun to the correct hole (now it fires from the right side of the gun, from where i think the gunner visor is) , so my question is: i've seen some turrets where the browning barrel is protuding well outside the gun mantlet, and others where it is almost no visible. Is there any explanation to this? it could be either way?

if you take a look here http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minu ... ounts.html, on the bottom of the page, there are two pics, In the right one you can see the barrel of the machine gun protruding a lot, while in the left one you can hardly see the barrel.

btw, a few pics of the aerial!

best regards!
Jussek

Tiger6

Post by Tiger6 »

You have to be a bit careful with Museum/Menorial examples, as they tend not to be accurate :S

Looking at period photo's the machine gun should not protrude from the mantlet, UNLESS you are looking at examples from specific units like the 37th, who mounted 50 Cal's in the coax position from roughly Feb 1945 onwards.
Jussek
Sergeant

Post by Jussek »

so no protuding barrel.

Thanks mate!
Jussek

Jussek
Sergeant

Re: I'm not a Sherman guy but... Jussek's M4A3(76) 'Soul Rea

Post by Jussek »

Morning sirs (and lady)

taking profit from the holydays, i started to work on the Sherman ;D nicknamed "Soul Reaper"

The first thing was to empty the interior of the lower hull, all the electronics went out, since I am going to install an elmod

In the end, the speaker should be a FR7 visaton, I can't fit an 85mm speaker with mylar cone, which is the one I use in the other tanks.

After emptying the lower hull, and as this tank will also pass through the Panzodrom river, I have had to plug the screw holes in the belly, and open an drainage for the water at the back, just below the tow hook.

after closing the screw holes and opening the drainage ones, as always i build a waterproof container for the electronics

next step is making the driver hatch functional, so i can put the main switch below, I used the strand technique, with the help of my wife, who held the upper hull so that I could perform the saw movement with the string. I have intentionally tried cutting to make the hinge functional but I am not sure that I can achieve it. the alternative would be to install the Mato hatch, but I see it very small compared to the Taigen

At this point I would need your advice, what would you do? and most importantly ... how? I don't even know how to mount the Mato hatch hinge

Personally, I would prefer to install the original one that I have cut, as long as I can save the hinge, but the position of the hinge makes it complicated, besides that there is not much material left to work with and make the hole for the pin. Has any of you done it?
Jussek

Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: I'm not a Sherman guy but... Jussek's M4A3(76) 'Soul Rea

Post by Jofaur86 »

Good evening, I personally did it on a Tam, but with the original hatches cut out, and sticking under the ABS, see photo attached, but I think we will have to remove the metal axis, existing and drill a hole, both in the upper frame, as the metal hinge to insert a thin axis

http://rctank.pl/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... 0&start=50
D0BE3DC3-53D8-4637-A4B3-54EAF5D984CA.jpeg

Return to “Other Builds”