WCP RC Models Kubelwagen Project

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.

Postby Jimster » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:56 pm

Having a blast with this fantastic model from WCP! I finally got the Benedini sound unit wired, 4 channel receiver hardwired and speaker hidden inside the rear engine compartment. Now it’s time to weather and detail this smooth running Kubelwagen. The interior will have the wires painted to help hide them better and a canvas tarp to cover the Benedini unit. Maybe some other creative stuff. Here’s some pics and a short video.
Image
Image
Image
phpBB [video]



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Jimster
Warrant Officer 1st Class
 
Posts: 1573
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:51 am
Location: Illinois

Postby Model Builder 4 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:21 am

Really nice Jimster :clap: that looks and sounds super cool 8)

Cheers, Lee.
User avatar
Model Builder 4
Warrant Officer 1st Class
 
Posts: 1628
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:46 pm
Location: South Wales valleys

Postby EAO » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:13 am

Jim,

She's starting to come together now very nicely! Impressive sound from that little speaker! :O I had admired the drive train when WCP showed it on the Forum before sending it over to you. I knew it had a nice suspension system but somehow missed the little shocks! Just a peek of them by the speaker in the back, man they are cool! :thumbup: Paint job and markings look great! Can't wait for the weathering and crew.

And here you led me to believe that you wouldn't be working on "Lil' PJ" for quite sometime. I knew you wouldn't be able to resist having it sitting on your workbench. :haha:

That's one hell of a start,
Eric.
User avatar
EAO
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 231
Joined: Sun May 10, 2020 5:29 pm
Location: Central Missouri, U.S. of A.

Postby Will01Capri » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:28 pm

That's brilliant and awesome. The sound is superb. It's a little beauty. Very nice I am well jealous now haha
User avatar
Will01Capri
Warrant Officer 1st Class
 
Posts: 2014
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:34 pm
Location: South Scotland

Postby Will01Capri » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:31 pm

You are going to have one of a very few Jim. We have bought all the stock of the Tamiya tyres that we can find worldwide and so far this means we will only be able to build 5 unless we come up with a alternative option.
User avatar
Will01Capri
Warrant Officer 1st Class
 
Posts: 2014
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:34 pm
Location: South Scotland

Postby silversurfer1947 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:41 pm

Hopefully, mine is one of the 5! On a slight sideway move, does anyone know of a suitable driver figure? I can find a 4 figure set in winter gear and a 2 man set for a schwimwagen, but I am looking for a driver for a DAK kubelwagen.
User avatar
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 3130
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:54 pm
Location: Bristol, UK

Postby Jimster » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:34 pm

Thanks Will! I should’ve had you engrave a number on the bottom, “#1 (or 2) of 5”! It will be a well sought after collector’s model. I have to admit that I’m as proud if not prouder of this Kubelwagen than I am of my Leningrad Tiger! I play with it every evening. Forget I said that.........I drive it every evening and get a big smile on my face every time that VW engine sound cranks up and I honk the VW horn. It drives like a dream with your excellent suspension system. You and your wife are an excellent team!
Speaking of figures, Surfer. Where did you find the four winter clad figures? I need to order them for the Kubelwagen.
User avatar
Jimster
Warrant Officer 1st Class
 
Posts: 1573
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:51 am
Location: Illinois

Postby silversurfer1947 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:36 am

Have a look on Aliexpress. I think they are probably copies, so the originals are out there somewhere.
User avatar
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 3130
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:54 pm
Location: Bristol, UK

Postby jarndice » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:37 am

Will01Capri wrote:You are going to have one of a very few Jim. We have bought all the stock of the Tamiya tyres that we can find worldwide and so far this means we will only be able to build 5 unless we come up with a alternative option.


I bought a Tamiya Kubel kit with a view to r/c ing it but when I opened the box it was obviously far too flimsy for the rigour's of running with my Armour so I put the box away untouched for a rainy day :lolno:
Having viewed your much sturdier WCP version on Jimsters thread and because I have a full set of unused tyres does that mean I could order a Kubel sans tyres and fit my own at my leisure and get on with fitting it out with r/c plus titivate it with Tamiya bits and pieces ?
I would certainly pay folding money for a WCP Kubel,
All I need is confirmation that you would print one for me PLEESE :thumbup:
User avatar
jarndice
Major
 
Posts: 6323
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:27 am
Location: the mountains of hertfordshire

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:48 am

Great model, really superb Benedini sounds, but a strangely disconcerting video...with the Invisible man at the wheel :O :D :thumbup:
User avatar
43rdRecceReg
Captain
 
Posts: 5179
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:38 am
Location: North West Highlands, Scotland

Postby Jimster » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:14 am

He’s wearing the Wehrmacht’s top secret camouflage uniform. Works like a charm! :haha:
Jarndice is absolutely correct about how solid this model is! It has withstood indoor attack cats, outdoor rough solid terrain and the occasional heavy hand of cheap American whiskey. I’ve even drilled holes for wire routing without a bend or twist on any part. All hinges are sturdy as a bank vault and the suspension is as beautiful as it is functional. It’s a rock solid model just waiting to be detailed and modified to represent any Kubelwagen you want. It would be a shame to stop producing it.
User avatar
Jimster
Warrant Officer 1st Class
 
Posts: 1573
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:51 am
Location: Illinois

Postby Will01Capri » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:48 pm

silversurfer1947 wrote:Hopefully, mine is one of the 5! On a slight sideway move, does anyone know of a suitable driver figure? I can find a 4 figure set in winter gear and a 2 man set for a schwimwagen, but I am looking for a driver for a DAK kubelwagen.

Yours will be No.2 :)
User avatar
Will01Capri
Warrant Officer 1st Class
 
Posts: 2014
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:34 pm
Location: South Scotland

Postby Will01Capri » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:49 pm

Jimster wrote:Thanks Will! I should’ve had you engrave a number on the bottom, “#1 (or 2) of 5”! It will be a well sought after collector’s model. I have to admit that I’m as proud if not prouder of this Kubelwagen than I am of my Leningrad Tiger! I play with it every evening. Forget I said that.........I drive it every evening and get a big smile on my face every time that VW engine sound cranks up and I honk the VW horn. It drives like a dream with your excellent suspension system. You and your wife are an excellent team!
Speaking of figures, Surfer. Where did you find the four winter clad figures? I need to order them for the Kubelwagen.

Yours is No.1, I'm well jealous, I think mines might be No.5 if I am allowed one haha
User avatar
Will01Capri
Warrant Officer 1st Class
 
Posts: 2014
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:34 pm
Location: South Scotland

Postby Will01Capri » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:52 pm

jarndice wrote:
Will01Capri wrote:You are going to have one of a very few Jim. We have bought all the stock of the Tamiya tyres that we can find worldwide and so far this means we will only be able to build 5 unless we come up with a alternative option.


I bought a Tamiya Kubel kit with a view to r/c ing it but when I opened the box it was obviously far too flimsy for the rigour's of running with my Armour so I put the box away untouched for a rainy day :lolno:
Having viewed your much sturdier WCP version on Jimsters thread and because I have a full set of unused tyres does that mean I could order a Kubel sans tyres and fit my own at my leisure and get on with fitting it out with r/c plus titivate it with Tamiya bits and pieces ?
I would certainly pay folding money for a WCP Kubel,
All I need is confirmation that you would print one for me PLEESE :thumbup:

Hi Shaun, send a message thru to my wife and we could print one for you so you could supply your own tyres.
That makes a potential 6 haha. Still an exclusive club.
Some tamiya bits could be made to fit for sure. But all bits are custom designed for our own model.
User avatar
Will01Capri
Warrant Officer 1st Class
 
Posts: 2014
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:34 pm
Location: South Scotland

Postby Will01Capri » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:55 pm

Jimster wrote:He’s wearing the Wehrmacht’s top secret camouflage uniform. Works like a charm! :haha:
Jarndice is absolutely correct about how solid this model is! It has withstood indoor attack cats, outdoor rough solid terrain and the occasional heavy hand of cheap American whiskey. I’ve even drilled holes for wire routing without a bend or twist on any part. All hinges are sturdy as a bank vault and the suspension is as beautiful as it is functional. It’s a rock solid model just waiting to be detailed and modified to represent any Kubelwagen you want. It would be a shame to stop producing it.

Many thanks Jim. I am over the moon you are soo happy with it, it's a little gem. When I figured that suspension out I have to admit I was smiling. I hope you never need to replace the suspension arms it's a tricky fiddly setup, but it does work nice.

We have been in touch with some people and we can get some drivers. But they are on a long back order. But they should be here in new year.......
User avatar
Will01Capri
Warrant Officer 1st Class
 
Posts: 2014
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:34 pm
Location: South Scotland

Postby sassgrunt » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:31 pm

Will, check your PM regarding tires. -Mike

sassgrunt
Sergeant
 
Posts: 581
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:08 am
Location: Hawaii, USA

Postby Jimster » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:24 pm

Just another short video showing this little bucket going over some gravel and passing by my other WCP models including the pak, trailer and Tiger engine (on the trailer). Maybe a bit redundant but it’s only 30 seconds long and something to look at on a Friday night. I’m sorry. That sounded really bad.
phpBB [video]
User avatar
Jimster
Warrant Officer 1st Class
 
Posts: 1573
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:51 am
Location: Illinois

Postby Will01Capri » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:16 am

Jimster wrote:Just another short video showing this little bucket going over some gravel and passing by my other WCP models including the pak, trailer and Tiger engine (on the trailer). Maybe a bit redundant but it’s only 30 seconds long and something to look at on a Friday night. I’m sorry. That sounded really bad.
phpBB [video]

Excellent. That is superb. Very good indeed
User avatar
Will01Capri
Warrant Officer 1st Class
 
Posts: 2014
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:34 pm
Location: South Scotland

Postby EAO » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:30 pm

Jim,

Just got back from doing some winterizing at the cabin. You're new video is awesome! Man, that VW really makes me smile! :D

Cheers,
Eric.
User avatar
EAO
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 231
Joined: Sun May 10, 2020 5:29 pm
Location: Central Missouri, U.S. of A.

Postby Jimster » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:50 pm

Thanks! Now the fun part begins (I don’t like sorting out electronics). Detailing and weathering is my favorite aspect of this hobby. I need to figure out the best way to gain access to the light buckets for my LEDs. Thinking I might remove the wheels and drill up from below and poke it up from there. There’s already a little hole underneath the fender to guide my drill bit. I’m afraid if I attempt to remove the light bucket that I will break something. Any advice will be seriously appreciated. Will?
The Notek light installation should be a fairly straightforward job.
User avatar
Jimster
Warrant Officer 1st Class
 
Posts: 1573
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:51 am
Location: Illinois

Next

Return to Other Builds

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests