RC 1/16 M3 Lee - early production tank - build

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: RC 1/16 M3 Lee - early production tank - build

Post by tankme »

And if you like it...that's all that matters. :)
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

The tank is running on a nice polished/waxed wooden floor , would be much slower on carpet or dirt (more friction).
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Can always drive it slower ! ;)
I wish my tanks were that good that the only thing to pick on was how fast they are :'( :'( !
Magnificent
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi, i was not happy with the way my new M3 runs so i gave it a new metal Mato MT217 gearbox.
RC 1/16 M3 Lee early production tank - build
Here is the M3 Lee in action in the bush. Its much better with the new gearbox.

phpBB [video]

Here are a few pictures to compare my latest M3 with my first attempt 5 years ago. You can see the new turret that replaced the undersized Vandra kit turret that i had beefed up, enlarged upper hull top where the turret sits, corrected front plate and driver's hatch, and some improvements in the early suspension. It also used modified Mato M4A1 chassis and tracks instead of modified Heng Long M4A3 and tracks.
Regards,
Louis
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

Making a good thing even better Louis, the low-speed control looks just right. A solid improvement!

The of inaccuracies and weird dimensions in these resin kits always intrigue me, I wonder if they're because of mistakes when translating the source material or for more practical reasons when moulding?
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Raminator wrote:Making a good thing even better Louis, the low-speed control looks just right. A solid improvement!

The of inaccuracies and weird dimensions in these resin kits always intrigue me, I wonder if they're because of mistakes when translating the source material or for more practical reasons when moulding?
Thank you !

i like Vandra because he is producing kits of rare tanks, but i am spending half the builds correcting dimensional mistakes that could have been easily avoided. Instead of using blue prints or a good 1/35 kit to extrapolate dimensions to 1/16, he must be only eyeballing pictures. Mistakes are piling up on top of each other and he is compensating by doing more mistakes in order for the thing to come together. The case of the M3 Lee is dramatic as both Vandra and Haya somehow seem to be quite satisfied with an unrealistically undersized turret ring and turret. No one would dare doing this to a Panther or Tiger turret...
Panzerjaeger66
Corporal

Post by Panzerjaeger66 »

I didn‘t follow this thread but the result of your reworking is amazing!

Louis, I agree, not only using blueprints helps for correct dimensions (I‘m not using 1/35kits because they mostly are not correct too), lots of time is needed for checking original pictures and walk around‘s before a design can happen.

Return to “Other Builds”