Sd.Kfz. 251 Ausf. B - work horse of German infantry

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.

Postby Panzerjaeger66 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:53 pm

After the success of the printed model kit of the 6-wheeled Sd.Kfz. 231, another important vehicle of German WW II armor is in development: the half track Sd.Kfz. 251

The design phase is in progress. Here are some pictures of the current status:

Some test printing took place to improve the design.

More details have to be designed (especially the engine hood and at the inside of the hull), before the first prototype will be printed.

Available will it be here soon:

https://www.fertigungswerk16.at/

Keep you updated.

Greets,
Freddy
Last edited by Panzerjaeger66 on Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Panzerjaeger66
Corporal

Postby Ad Lav » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:19 pm

I think the hobby has been crying out for something like this.

Good move.
Ad Lav
Lieutenant

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:56 pm

A worthy challenge. :D It's good to see something outside of the usual feast for the eyes :thumbup:
43rdRecceReg
Captain

Postby Kaczor » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:59 am

Nice! Asiatam.de still have metal tracks for 251 but the price is very high...
https://www.asiatam.de/Testkategorie/Me ... ---16.html
Kaczor
Corporal

Postby lmcq11 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:57 pm

Sadly, I've never been able to build any small German WW2 AFV from any maker. When adding all the costs, they always end up as expensive as the biggest and most expensive Tamiya full option main battle tank...

lmcq11
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Postby FredtheFrench » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:26 pm

I don' t understand why manufacturers never made this model...
FredtheFrench
Corporal

Postby Panzerjaeger66 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:38 pm

Thanks guys for your comments! :thumbup:

Because there is very less space inside (if you want to leave the fighting compartment) for electronics and I had to make easy (but workable) bogies because of less space, bigger manufactures like Tamiya won't do this because it's critical.
Asiatam wanted to do it for years but handn't the chance to release it, so it's my turn ;)

Louis, sorry to hear that; yes it's pricy but you shouldn't compare small series manufacturer and their possibilities with Tamiya. Every small series manufacturer have the same problems as you could see, when DKLM/OKMO released the M60 and other special builds. After few kits their sold out....

Panzerjaeger66
Corporal

Postby Xiaoshan_Sailor » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:58 am

FredtheFrench wrote:I don' t understand why manufacturers never made this model...

Agreed, never have understood why Trumpeter never followed with one after their M3 halftrack. Am hoping another picks up the baton & develops a 1/16 RTR 251 once their pending FAMO appears in the first half of 2021.

That said, there supposedly a 1/10 251 project underway but who knows when or at what quality level from you-know-who. :/
Xiaoshan_Sailor
Corporal

Postby lmcq11 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:06 am

A way to make money is to bet on volume of sales if production costs can be decreased. This vehicle has so many variants and a basic kit would sell like hot cakes if priced in the $300 range, knowing the builder needs to add another $300 In extras. Otherwise, it’s too expensive for me. If affordable, a guy like me would buy and create many variants over some years. It’s the same reason why I have 12 Sherman based vehicles, but i will ever only have one Chieftain.

lmcq11

Postby Kaczor » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:12 am

Xiaoshan_Sailor wrote:never have understood why Trumpeter never followed with one after their M3 halftrack.

251 is more comlpicated, link track not one piece rubber bands, overlaping wheels, torsion bar suspension etc. And such relaitively small models tends to be not reliable in 1/16 scale. Those plastic scratch build models are great but I would be affraid to ride them anywhere elese than flat concrete.
Kaczor
Corporal

Postby Will01Capri » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:28 am

It's great to see, but now I have competition for my own 251 :)
Good luck with the build and it be great to see once you done with it. The only thing I dont look forward to are the tracks
Will01Capri
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Postby FredtheFrench » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:55 pm

Xiaoshan_Sailor wrote:
FredtheFrench wrote:I don' t understand why manufacturers never made this model...

Agreed, never have understood why Trumpeter never followed with one after their M3 halftrack. Am hoping another picks up the baton & develops a 1/16 RTR 251 once their pending FAMO appears in the first half of 2021.

That said, there supposedly a 1/10 251 project underway but who knows when or at what quality level from you-know-who. :/

Famo????? What manufacturer?
FredtheFrench
Corporal

Postby General Jumbo01 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:28 pm

1/10th?? Why oh why can we not agree to a standard?

New 'obscure' models in tanks is rather like model railways. Everybody starts off with a Flying Scotsman so everyone makes them and in huge quantities, and this keeps them affordable. The hard core that stick with the hobby develop a love for the obscure and ugly but have to wait forever before a backstreet manufacturer makes one, even though they know the market will be small, so has to overprice it to just break even. Our hobby is just the same! If you have been on this forum for a while you have probably passed through the Tiger1 and Sherman phase already ;)
General Jumbo01

Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:31 pm

So, will there be scope with this design to adapt it into an Sd.Kfz 250/3?
Son of a gun-ner
TOTM Admin

Postby Panzerjaeger66 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:01 pm

the Sd.Kfz. 250 is on the list and will follow a little later on. Despite it looks similar, the whole design have to be reworked and adapted; it's like almost start from de beginning. :S

Panzerjaeger66
Corporal

Postby Xiaoshan_Sailor » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:27 pm

General Jumbo01 wrote:1/10th?? Why oh why can we not agree to a standard?

New 'obscure' models in tanks is rather like model railways. Everybody starts off with a Flying Scotsman so everyone makes them and in huge quantities, and this keeps them affordable. The hard core that stick with the hobby develop a love for the obscure and ugly but have to wait forever before a backstreet manufacturer makes one, even though they know the market will be small, so has to overprice it to just break even. Our hobby is just the same! If you have been on this forum for a while you have probably passed through the Tiger1 and Sherman phase already ;)

:haha: :haha: :haha:

Just passing along intel I know & given it's 1/10 means it has to be coming from Hooben who's hellbent on building this new scale into a market leader.
Xiaoshan_Sailor
Corporal

Postby Xiaoshan_Sailor » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:28 pm

FredtheFrench wrote:

Famo????? What manufacturer?

Can't say, otherwise I'd have to kill you. :haha:

Stay tuned.
Xiaoshan_Sailor
Corporal

Postby FredtheFrench » Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:43 pm

Can't say, otherwise I'd have to kill you. :haha:

Stay tuned.[/quote]

Tell me and come here. I m waiting you............ to speak about this "new" Famo and drink a beer. :D
FredtheFrench
Corporal

Postby Panzerjaeger66 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:31 pm

After hours and hours of detailing, the design phase is done so far.

Some shots of the end design steps:

Workable back doors…

Coming up, the printing of the first prototype; I’m so excited…

Panzerjaeger66
Corporal

Postby FredtheFrench » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:01 pm

Excellent work. A lot of hours to draw. :clap:
FredtheFrench
Corporal

Next

Return to Other Builds