1/16 RC M5A1 Stuart Light tank - build

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Re: 1/16 RC M5A1 Stuart Light tank - build

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi, thank you everyone, it won't be my last Stuart based vehicle for sure. It was too much fun and it looks very good. This was a quick, cheap and pleasant build. Being based on a very accurate and detailed kit, this is one build that i did not have to count bolts, cut a lot of plasticard or tear something apart. I could concentrate instead on the RC aspect and it mostly involved drilling holes, the cutting of brass and aluminum tubing, and some rods. Having been able to fit in a real RC gearbox and control board is a definite success story. However, every millimeters of available space count in this integration.

The Classy Hobby M5 Early version that was recently announced will be in my bucket list.

But other possible build based on M5 chassis include the following;

The M8 Scott SPH
M8 Scott
M8 Scott
Capture.JPG (94.26 KiB) Viewed 627 times
M8 Scott
M8 Scott
The M5 Recce, without turret but with an M2 MG
M5 Recce
M5 Recce
Capture3.JPG (56.63 KiB) Viewed 627 times
British M5 Kangaroo
M5 Kangaroo
M5 Kangaroo
Capture4.JPG (29.55 KiB) Viewed 627 times
The M5 tractor
M5 tractor
M5 tractor
M5 tractor
M5 tractor
Capture6.JPG (38.71 KiB) Viewed 627 times
However, for those who were thinking of an M4 tractor, it is not based on the M5 as we might think because of the idler wheel, it is based on the M4 with a totally different suspension than the Sherman or Stuart.
M4 tractor
M4 tractor
Regards, Louis
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Re: 1/16 RC M5A1 Stuart Light tank - build

Post by ronnie42 »

Perhaps the big players in 1/35 should take a hint and release more 1/16 kits . The detail is amazing, converting to RC was another masterclass build as everything just fitted , painted up you would never know until its switched on. HL and the others need to improve the moulds for casting nos and crisp mouldings . Make you wonder about all the after market parts needed to detail 1/16 RC tanks.

Return to “Other Builds”