Stug 4 1/10 scratch build

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Stug 4 1/10 scratch build

Post by AlwynTurner »

Well I have been MIA for long enough. All my tools and bits are packed ready to move which is still not happening due to some very risk-averse 'civil servants' at our local authority >:< :'( :crazy: but anyway enough ranting.

After reading the 1/10 scale thread and laying awake one night I decided it was time to get something done. I was inspired by the work Wayne has done on the 1/6 version of the Nashorn which I assisted in a small way by designing some 1/6 scale running gear, I realised I could scale this work down a bit to 1/10 and yesterday got stuck in and made a start

I did the track links and sprocket and printed them

The lower hull will be made of 5mm ply, and I think I've managed to source some 4mm styrene which I will use for the upper hull. I'll need an electric scroll saw for that which will have to wait until after the move as otherwise it just becomes something else to pack and hope it won't get damaged. I'll need some heavy duty gearboxes but I'm sure anything that will move a metal king tiger should be up to the job (any suggestions/recommendations will be gratefully accepted) :thumbup:

And so it begins....

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
Last edited by AlwynTurner on Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Nashorn 1/10 scratch build

Post by midlife306 »

Nice one Alwyn, I can’t wait to see this take shape, I’m sure you’ll finish it way before mine lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Xiaoshan_Sailor
Sergeant

Post by Xiaoshan_Sailor »

Following this one. Finally broke down & ordered a CR-10 Pro V2 so have plenty of room to print 'em big. :D
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

It's interesting because the sprocket and track could be used to do 1/10 Panzer 3 or 4, possibly even a Stug. With the panzer 3 and stug I'd have to sort something out for the suspension though, I'd really need to go torsion bar but can't yet figure how to do that with 3d printed components. Hmmm......

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
Xiaoshan_Sailor
Sergeant

For me, as they say on The Economist podcasts, "first up" will be to correct the atrocious suspension Hooben mucked up on their Hooben release. Luckily, Warprints offers excellent STL files that I'm buying to scale up for this very purpose.
midlife306

Post by midlife306 »

Do you have a link to the war prints files please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Can I second that request please? ??? :D

tankme

Post by tankme »

I know some aren't big fans of Hooben, but they are making a larger CNC gearbox that can put 550 and larger motors (up to 775 I believe) for their 1/10 line of tanks. You can see from this AliExpress page they make the ones for 1/16 scale tanks and another larger one in the pics. https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4000570055055.html

https://imgur.com/tOu0g5T
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Stug 4 1/10 scratch build

Post by AlwynTurner »

Change of plan.

Because of the scarcity of 1/10 figures I've decided to instead design and build a 1/10 Stug 4, the reason being I have all the designs for the suspension for the Panzer 4/Nashorn/Stug 4.

And so the work goes on. Luckily I hadn't started the lower hull build yet. :D

Xiaoshan_Sailor
Sergeant

Here you go, gentlemen, regarding Warprints STL files. You can also contact Tomáš here on the forum. He announced on FB he's interested in scaling up his files, even possibly offering kits & parts in 1/10 & 1/6.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/warprints

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/various ... 6-rc-model
Last edited by Xiaoshan_Sailor on Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Other Builds”