6-wheeled Sd.Kfz.231 – Beginning of Wehrmacht reconnaissance

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Panzerjaeger66
Corporal

Post by Panzerjaeger66 »

Usually I’m designing tracked RC vehicles, but sometimes I switch over to other genres.
Since a very long time I wanted to have a 6-wheeld recce car Sd.Kfz.231 and after WPL/JJRC released their trucks, it was possible to use some parts of their chassis.

Here are some pictures out of the design phase.

While designing with WPL axles first I saw some problems and switched to JJRC...

Base is the chassis of the JJRC Q60 (WPL B16 isn’t possible to use because of its different rear axles).

Some parts of the kit:

…to be continued…
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

I’m loving this, looks awesome
If you ever consider selling the STL’s I’d be your first customer
Cheers
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Re: 6-wheeled Sd.Kfz.231 – Beginning of Wehrmacht reconnaiss

Post by Max-U52 »

midlife306 wrote:I’m loving this, looks awesome ImageImageImage
If you ever consider selling the STL’s I’d be your first customer Image
Cheers
Wayne

That would be a perfect candidate for 1/6 scale. I can see the little wheels turning in Wayne's head all the way from here. 8)
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Great. Very Interesting challenge. I’ve done a couple of adaptations myself and it’s real fun, experimenting and improving with each model. The length of the axles and choice of tires can be an issue when luck does not offer a perfect fit from the start. I understand your choices. I am surprised you seem to create your own gearbox upgrade. There are quite a few cheap upgrade options available on the market with 370 motors, including the one with high/low servo shifting between crawler mode gears and high speed. I was recently surprised by its capabilities. On a vehicle with a fighting turret like this one, choice of electronics is also important for turret/gun action and also servo steering. I’ve found that the Clark TK-40 worked well on the Cadillac Gage V-150 and the TPz-1 build.
I will follow your progress and ideas.
Panzerjaeger66
Corporal

Post by Panzerjaeger66 »

midlife306 wrote:I’m loving this, looks awesome ImageImageImage
If you ever consider selling the STL’s I’d be your first customer Image
Cheers
Wayne

Wayne, because I'm working exclusively with Chris https://www.ludwigs-hobby-seite.de and Lukas https://www.fertigungswerk16.at/modelle/ this won't be happen; I'm sorry ;)
Max-U52 wrote:That would be a perfect candidate for 1/6 scale. I can see the little wheels turning in Wayne's head all the way from here. 8)
Uh, because the kit is all 3D printed, the lower hull would be approx. 1m long in one piece; that have to be a huge printer... :O
lmcq11 wrote:Great. Very Interesting challenge. I’ve done a couple of adaptations myself and it’s real fun, experimenting and improving with each model. The length of the axles and choice of tires can be an issue when luck does not offer a perfect fit from the start. I understand your choices. I am surprised you seem to create your own gearbox upgrade. There are quite a few cheap upgrade options available on the market with 370 motors, including the one with high/low servo shifting between crawler mode gears and high speed. I was recently surprised by its capabilities. On a vehicle with a fighting turret like this one, choice of electronics is also important for turret/gun action and also servo steering. I’ve found that the Clark TK-40 worked well on the Cadillac Gage V-150 and the TPz-1 build.
I will follow your progress and ideas.
Louis, I see you checked the posted pictures accurately!
You're right, the length of the axles have to be reworked (a little) but overall they are very good to use. Because I'm working with Lukas who is very experienced in 3D printing (see his homepage) tires and other stuff is no real problem, also the gear box. The hull is very tiny and to find a fitting gearbox needs more time than to design a exactly usefull one. The gear motor I'm using is an 370.
I'll check the TK-40 if it would be working for this model; for now I've planned to use the WPL Sound Set V3 with extra connections to motors and maybe using turn light for gun flash, but let's see...

Best regards,
Freddy
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Panzerjaeger66 wrote: ; for now I've planned to use the WPL Sound Set V3 with extra connections to motors and maybe using turn light for gun flash, but let's see...

Best regards,
Freddy
Why to use those horrible electronics in such a wonderful and unique vehicle? I do not get it...
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
Panzerjaeger66
Corporal

Post by Panzerjaeger66 »

I'm very bad in electronics so I've to use what's standard available. I have no idea to use a tank board for this kind of steering? The only board I have on hand is the HL Tk 5.3 would this be working?
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Post by jhamm »

Panzerjaeger66 wrote:I'm very bad in electronics so I've to use what's standard available. I have no idea to use a tank board for this kind of steering? The only board I have on hand is the HL Tk 5.3 would this be working?
in short: No
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi Freddy,

Your ability to design and fit mechanical parts in the tiniest of space is what is most important.

For electronics, its a personal choice and everyone uses what works for them. If i was building this combat vehicle and i might, i would continue with a tricky combinations of TK-40 functions and 10 channel receiver configuration where;
- Motor connected to TK-40 right engine port with vertical stick control and engine sound
- Steering servo connected to an available channel on receiver and assigned to one of the rotating knob as a driving wheel
- Turret rotation 360 continuous micro servo connected to TK-40 turret rotation servo port
- Gun elevation micro servo connected to an available channel on receiver and assigned to one of the rotating knob as elevation control
- MG34 machine gun with fiber optic/LED connected to TK-40 MG1 cables with mg flash and sound, assigned to a switch
- 20mm cannon with fiber optic/LED connected to TK-40 MG2 cables with mg flash and sound, assigned to a switch
- Head lights and tail lights with TK-40
- Small 2 cell 7.4V battery

Its one of the possible configuration but as you mentioned Freddy, its a narrow vehicle and available interior space is surely an issue. Its hard to realize the interior space left available for electronic units, turret rotation wheel and for running wires until the hull is built and we see what's possible.

Thank you for creating this vehicle.

Louis
Panzerjaeger66
Corporal

Post by Panzerjaeger66 »

Hi Louis,
thanks for you detailed explanation about the electronics you'd use, but I have no clue to do this (for now). Maybe later if I find a colleague next to me who will do that for me.
So, maybe you will show us later what's possible to do with this kit :thumbup:

Return to “Other Builds”