1/10 RC Jeep Willys MB - Long Range Desert Group-SAS- Build

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Re: 1/10 RC Jeep Willys MB - Long Range Desert Group - Build

Post by silversurfer1947 »

Just for information the black and white photograph is actually David Stirling with the SAS jeeps, who were the main users. The LRDG mainly used Chevrolet trucks. The Willy's jeep started to be used by th LRDG in July 1942, but only by the patrol commander and patrol sergeant.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

silversurfer1947 wrote:Just for information the black and white photograph is actually David Stirling with the SAS jeeps, who were the main users. The LRDG mainly used Chevrolet trucks. The Willy's jeep started to be used by th LRDG in July 1942, but only by the patrol commander and patrol sergeant.
Thank you. It is the reading of the book Stirling's Desert Triumps that gave me the idea for the build. It describes the raids and events that follows but does not go into much details about the organization of the SAS and what seem to have been an evolving relationship and potential rivalry with the LRDG. Its not clear who was doing what before the SAS eventually got their own fleet of vehicles. It is a story i choose not to explain as i could not build a clear picture, which is probably what the SAS wanted.
1/10 RC Jeep Willys MB - Long Range Desert Group - Build
Capture21.JPG (93.24 KiB) Viewed 2376 times
jimbo_wa
Corporal

Post by jimbo_wa »

Looking great (as always!) :thumbup:

I read about David Sterling and formation of the SAS in 'SAS: Rogue Heroes – the Authorized Wartime History' by Ben MacIntyre:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01DB43DNW

May be useful for a bit of extra colour?
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

The LRDG mainly concentrated on deep penetration for reconnaissance and information collection purposes, though occasionally were involved in combat. My impression is that they were partners rather than rivals. I first came across David Stirling in the form of a second hand paperback probably well over 50 years ago. I still have it. The Phantom Major by Virginia Cowles.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

:D Amazing! Even when you're waiting for materials for a build, Louis, and your build-engine is just 'ticking over', you still manage to knock out a minor masterpiece, as though you were just whistling, and simply 'passing time' :thumbup:

A couple of tidbits of info: The Vickers 'K (Gas Operated) machine gun was much underrated. Originally designed for aircraft use, it had a faster rate of fire than the MG34, along with comparable muzzle velocity. It was also more reliable than the .303 Browning, apparently.

Diana Rigg's daughter, Rachael Stirling- also an actress, is the granddaughter of David Stirling's brother, Archie.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

Hi Louis, not sure if you have seen this before. My favourite Michael Caine movie by the way.

phpBB [video]
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

In a nut shell due to its familiarity with the terrain the lrdg was largely used by the sas to get them to and from where they needed to be up untill the sas got those jeeps. Other wise the lrdg was a recon group. There’s a documentary on the bbc I player I believe that goes into quite a bit of detail on the birth of the sas and it’s relationship and differences with the lrdg
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Thank you guys for all your info, and i enjoyed watching the movie Play Dirty a few times already.

Today, i receive the 1/10 SAS gunner bust figure that comes with the Browning M2 AN (aircraft model) machine gun. It needs some cleanup and straitening of the barrel. It comes with a nice and very useful ammo belt. In 1/10 scale, this is inexistent anywhere else and i am lucky that this figure is available with it.
Superb SAS figure, i have not given up on trying to find a suitable body for him to be placed on the Jeep.
As planned, the Browning is installed on the forward passenger seat. Its the Vickers K twin mount that will be on the rear stand.
As seen in pictures, a resin ammo box is used for the ammo belt.
It is well detailed.
I have reinforced the thin mount so that it can hold itself better when the Jeep is moving.
Overview with my cat Platon in the background for an idea of the size of the Jeep. With all that resin loaded into it, the Jeep's weight is twice or more than before. There is no way the previous small motor could have powered the Jeep around.
Next steps for the Jeep, installation of the Vickers K twin mount from Shapeways when i get it.

Regards, Louis
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

I thought you might be interest in seeing the 1/10 scale Shapeways 3D printed Vickers GO (type K) machine guns on twin mount. It costs a fortune but as it is a trademark of the SAS/LRDG Jeeps, i needed one and with others things to do, i didn't see the business case of attempting to scratch build one myself. Its fragile so it will be removable and used on static display only. The mount elevation is functional but not the rotation.
1/10 scale Shapeways Vickers GO type K machine gun
Capture4.JPG (98.07 KiB) Viewed 2302 times
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

And with the installation of the 1/10 Vickers Go K twin mount at the back, the construction of the LDRG SAS Jeep is complete. Next step is the painting, Desert sand color of course.

I am also noticing i stupidly reversed the M2 sights... something i will correct now.
The recovery sand ladder is from Shapeways.
The Vickers twin mount is placed further to the rear than a M2 machine gun normally is. It was meant for the front passenger to turn around and use the Vickers while shooting towards the rear. There was no rear seat or passenger.

Return to “Other Builds”