Puma Sd.Kfz. 234/2 Metal Origin 1:16 WIP

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Met5
Corporal

Puma Sd.Kfz. 234/2 Metal Origin 1:16 WIP

Post by Met5 »

Since the future is ahead of us and those who stop are lost, why not go from our beloved tracked vehicles to a rotated vehicle?

The Rubicon was crossed with the Famo going to put his hand on a vehicle that was not fully tracked.

This is not even tracked ..... it is only equipped with wheels.  8 moreover.

Since we love to kick ass at Patrie Officine we picked up this unfortunate model that ended up in the hands of a Dutch model maker.

The vehicle was declared complete with all the upgrades that metal origin brought out after the primitive model, upgrades that went to solve the problems (not a few) that the model presented.

Amiably renamed "squirrel" by the workers all once compared with the Famo he waited practically 6 months before being put into work.  The motto at the POs is "one at a time".

I immediately liked how it had been painted. Among the many things that I am not able to do there is camouflage. I don't like mine.

This is a nice thing (having already painted it) but it increases the difficulties: if I make a mess it will not be possible to put a piece but it will have to be completely repainted.

Let's start with the disassembly:

The recoil mechanism is nothing short of Franciscan. There is no elevation mechanism. The rotation of the turret is still absent even if the engine has been mounted on the hull

The antenna has been attached, even two.

But the real show is inside:

The transfer of motion is guaranteed by a cantilever pulley, the original transmission (replaced because it is too noisy) has been attached in a box with all the gears dismantled.

In support of the vehicle is a cloud of aluminum (or zamak)?) And copper filings

The engine that acts as a belt tensioner is cool

The idler pulley with a single twisted wheel constraint point which is a marvel.

The engine howls like a hyena in heat, earplugs not supplied;)

Let's continue with the discussion:

Metal filings everywhere. Let's look at the lower parts:

Some damage to photo etchings. The joy of watchmakers .....

Overall: it should be a Swiss watch, at the moment it is just a bunch of pieces :)

The vacuum of the FAMO is rapidly filling up, the dismantling has just begun:

The master builder looks at the numerous parts: "let's start again with another desperate case" he seems to think:

....stay tuned ;)
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Re: Puma Sd.Kfz. 234/2 Metal Origin 1:16 WIP

Post by ronnie42 »

Looking forward to see the improvements to the internals . Nice to have a build concentrating on the RC setup, not often do you see work on the internals.
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

I’m looking forward to this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Met5
Corporal

Post by Met5 »

We continue with the disassembly:

Actually we indulge in disassembling it, having removed the wheels we proceed with the internal mechanics. The good thing is that they are all socket head screws

The arrows indicate the wise use of hot glue to hold in place bearings that do not want to stay in place: scratch:

The axle that replaces the original type. There had to be 8 ..... In theory ..... In practice there is only one. Great. So to order also the new axle shafts ........

The removal of the wheels was not painless. To remove the studs (with all the thinner that friendly voices have recommended to dissolve the glue) we had some crashes. To be repaired or redone all from scratch. At the moment we put them aside, we have other headaches. I usually use vinavil for this kind of installation......

The origin of the metal filings that I found in the hull. Planetaries and pinions in Zamak. It is consumed which is a pleasure. Adventurers in an almond-eyed suit and tie respond to my request for steel parts which they supply as spare parts in Zamak. Steel parts are supplied by third parties.

The starting point is to make the shopping list. But every euro spent will be in vain if at the base I have gears that crumble. It becomes imperative to find or have steel sprockets and crowns built
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Post by jhamm »

Hi,
yes these Gears the worst i ever seen...
I am working on a solution for that, think the WPL differential gears is possible.

The gearbox is easy to fix with toothed belt:
Eingebaut.jpg
You see the output shaft with washers and spacer to measure the required length..
Einzelteile.jpg
Einzelteile.jpg (76.09 KiB) Viewed 4208 times
Aufbau.jpg
Aufbau.jpg (53.83 KiB) Viewed 4208 times
You need:
1x Geared 370er Motor with 250rpm at 6Volt
1x engine plate of 3mm aluminium
1x GT2 6mm toothed belt 112mm 56 teeth
1x toothed belt wheels 20 teeth with a Ø 3mm bore
1x toothed belt wheels 20 teeth with a Ø 8mm bore
1x shaft extension 21,5mm long outside Ø 8mm with inside Ø 4mm bore
2x spacer 4,2mm long outside Ø 5 or 6 mm with inside Ø 3mm
2x flange ball bearing MF83 ZZ 3x8x3 mm

the toothed belt wheel fit with two spacers 4.2mm long to the Ø 3mm output shaft
the other toothed belt wheel fit with at the shaft extension

phpBB [video]
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

This build is getting better, never knew the Puma had so many faults. Was going to buy one , went for the Jagdpanther instead lucky me. Lots of upgrades for rc cars and crawlers available , must be a nightmare checking out parts to replace the substandard drive chain parts. Can see this being a money pit getting a robust RC model looking at the cost of high end surface models.
Met5
Corporal

Post by Met5 »

Thanks Jhamm but I decided for a more radical solution:

The first supplies begin to arrive. I would say that we did the calculations well:

To be able to install definitively, just enlarge the gear hole from 4 to 5 and insert a bushing with an internal diameter of 3mm

We decide to celebrate with a healthy cleaning:

And since at 34 degrees it is airbrushed that a pleasure we lighten the spirit:

Ordered the other 8 gears now we can already imagine the result.

Someone will say "but did you also paint it outside?" Yes, we said that we liked the model of the painting but it is time that we at Patrie Officine learn how to make Camo
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Great work :wave: Enjoying your solutions to the problems presented :clap:
Tanks alot.... :wave:
jcarducci
Recruit

Post by jcarducci »

Someone referenced your very interesting thread regarding this Puma. I'm curious what is the bevel gear set you purchased to replace the zinc gears?

I never miss an opportunity to replace a zinc gear; zinc gears are just wrong...

Good job, good informative thread. I'll be interested how this ends up. Yes I have a Puma kit or two...that I've not yet built.

Jerry
Stay home, build a tank save a life!

http://tanks.linite.com
Met5
Corporal

Post by Met5 »

Pending supplies, we continue to prepare everything that will be needed later. Given the reduced grip, the hands are light but numerous

Return to “Other Builds”