M16 Half Track "Meat Chopper" Korea 1950 - Build

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Re: M16 Half Track "Meat Chopper" Korea 1950 - Build

Post by lmcq11 »

PainlessWolf wrote:Good Morning,
I was really hoping that a Trumpeter sprue set would have gone a long ways towards resolving this. Well, it is early days yet. Someone seeing your excellent reproduction work may be inspired to create a 3D model and print some out.
regards and following along!
Painless
Hi Painless,

I have the trumpeter kit. It seems to me that the trumpeter kit was the base for the WSN RC model, with some simplifications for RC purposes, but with very little value added compared to the WSN from an RC perspective. I see very limited benefits in a 150-$200 Trumpeter kit being cannibalized to upgrade the WSN model.

The serious and amazing figures shown in action at Remagen on the kit cover are not present. The kit provides the same monkeys as the WSN.
1/16 RC M16 Half Track MGMC Meat Chopper Korea build
Same chassis with fixed raised flaps everywhere.
The doors are molded separately but the flap is also fixed. Door interior details is limited and does not add much. Notice presence of huge ejecting pin marks that need filling. Parts are too thick.
Interior door frame is provided, but no other details, such as all the bolt and nuts.
Capture9.JPG (75.76 KiB) Viewed 2253 times
Same fake radio and platform as WSN is provided without any resemblance to the SCR-528.
Much nicer machine guns are provided, but Tamiya equivalents can be purchased separately to upgrade the WSN.
The rear platform of the M45 mount is provided, missing on WSN. Can be scratch built though. The gun mount battery is replaced by the elevation unit on the WSN, of similar size.
Wind shield and clear parts are provided, much nicer than WSN.
The encircled seat part is missing on my WSN for both sides. Notice PE parts on what I think are the spare M2 barrel bins.
A fully detailed engine with opening hood, but not much usefulness for RC.
Its about it in terms of items I see that could be used. I'll keep my Trumpeter kit intact. I do not even use it for references.

Regards, Louis
Last edited by lmcq11 on Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

This post is for the back of the cabin, including the radio frame, its armored cover and installation.

First task is to make the electronics easily accessible at any given time. It involves replacing the 2 crews at the back with a magnet.
All the floor holes are plugged, including On/Off switch, now accessible by lifting the cover. The tip of the cover that goes under the radio is cut so that it can be fully removed from the model, it does not show because it is hidden under the radio. Its otherwise too long and cannot exit the rear compartment. The WSN design of having the front cover screws going all the way to the frame and unaccessible under the glued radio does not make any sense.
If you thought building the radio was a challenge, the armored cover is also a good one, mainly due to the lack of references with dimensions.

The armored box is quite bulky like a big tub, it takes a lot of room and is highly visible. As such, it is the centerpiece of the model next to the M45 gun mount.
Dimensions were extrapolated by looking at comparison points, such as the height of the ammo box, seats, the fuel tanks, etc. All I have as reference material is the Gun Power book which was essential, providing 3D views from all angles. Its a must have.
The rack for the ammo boxes was reduced in size and adjusted to fit two boxes.
The front wall for the radio is cleaned up. The curved section of the front wall was lowered.
The frame for the radio is created as seen in reference, it fits under the armored tub with uneven spacing.
There are my initial dimensions for the tub. Better make them bigger at first, and then they were reduced in size and filed to fit in.
The armored tub is being assembled.
Contnuing on following post.
Last edited by lmcq11 on Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

The radio is installed in the armored tub. Throughout the construction, everything on the tub is adjusted to try to make it look like references, height, depth, width, thickness, spacing, etc. Assumptions sometimes need to be used and decisions must to be made.
Here is the finished SCR-528 radio in its frame and armored tub ready for installation on the M16. Radio antenna mount is on the left.
The radio is installed on the M16, looking good considering the alternative.
Good interior view of the crew's access to the radio. Now you see why the radio is important.

The rear wall was cut and lowered to the level of the seats, some compromises needed to be made because the WSN seats are not exactly located and at the height seen in references. I let it go and adjusted.
I just got my shipment of fiber optics so next step is to finish the machine gun and work on the M45 gun mount.

Regards, Louis
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

The following posts are for an area I was anxious to see if it would work; the machine guns and the M45 quad gun mount. There is a video attached at the end of the third post for the gun mount in action with the 35RCTANK ACU unit gun flash and sound.

First, following the building of the prototype last week, I needed to complete three other M2 machine guns exactly like it. An assembly chain with a standardize process is required, with checking and testing at every step to avoid mistakes.

The barrels are made.
The Tamiya M2 plastic sleeves and barrels attachment are used, just need to drill the hole centrally... It easier to do this on a Tamiya plastic barrel than an Aber solid metal barrel. Although the Aber brass sleeve would have really looked good, it would have been more work and a lot more expensive.
The body of the M2 is made to accept the new metal barrel, going inside by about 10mm, but also need to make way for the 1.5mm fiber optic and the 3mm yellow LED.
This is the time to feel like a gun maker.
The fiber optic and LED are connected and thoroughly tested before enclosing them in the body of each M2.
Cut away overview of the 1/16 scale M2 machine gun armed with its own embedded 3mm yellow LED.
Capture6.JPG (78.85 KiB) Viewed 2221 times
There are some finer and fragile details left to install on the M2s (better keep these for the end or they will be destroyed during the build) but the core are ready to installation on the M45 quad gun mount.
The interior of both gun elevation wheels are cleaned of all features to make way for the electrical connections, resistor, wires and to facilitate movement. As all the individual exterior M2 mount points were factory glued on my model, there are no purposes in screws holding them as well. Even if they had been loose, I would have glued them and do the same.
The top machine gun can have its wires going strait into the gun mount elevation wheel interior. However, the lower machine gun is more distanced from the elevation wheel so connections to the LED need to be prepared and extended before placing and gluing the machine gun. Extensive trial and error process is used to align all machine guns at that point so that they all shoot horizontally and vertically in the same direction. It can easily be achieve by sanding the back anchor point and glue the machine gun to it once perfection is achieved, keeping the front point loose until the end. It makes a big difference in the look and feel of the model. The old WSN machine guns were all misaligned and shooting in all directions, not funny and it made it look like a cheap toy, not a $200 RC model.
Amazon has many cheap LED kits of 3mm and 5mm LEDs of all color coming with 200 ohm resistors. These need to be connected to the longer + wire of the LED. Without resistors, the LEDs will burn. Resistors have no polarity and can be installed either way.
Continuing on following post.
Last edited by lmcq11 on Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

I gave each M2 machine gun LEDs its own resistor, then connected + and - wires to a single wire on each side, and then to a single wire going down into the hull.
Both elevation wheels are installed on the M45 mount. All machine guns are pointing in the same direction and looking smart.
After removal of all the WSN electronic, I was left with plastic components to reused for a simpler gun mount rotation system, in my case, one that works. Modifications are required to let wires loose inside the mount base so that a minimum rotation of 180 degrees on both sides can be achieved.
I found rotation works better when the wires that are loose inside this "rotation drum" are glued to the plastic when they enter and when after they exit the drum. It took about 30 minutes of fine tuning to get it to work. Guys that want to achieve 360 rotation and more must reuse the WSN 360 connector wheel and try to make it work. If I had to redo things, I would at least try to salvage it instead of throwing it in the garbage like I did in a moment of frustration over having bought something that did not work.
The M45 gun mount is assembled for installation and testing, minus the ammo boxes and any details that are not required at this time.
Rotation unit is inserted.
The continuous servo used for elevation is connected to independent channel 6 assigned to the VRa knob on the emitter. I found that it allows for better control than left stick. The servo makes its own elevation sound... Rotation unit and gun flash wires are connector to the 35RCTANK ACU unit.
The basic M45 gun mount minus its accessories is installed and ready for testing.
Continuing on following post.
Last edited by lmcq11 on Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

And finally, here is a short YOUTUBE video of the gun mount in action during its first tests.

https://youtu.be/zn9QB6TGe1o
Next step is to finish the gun mount.

Regards, Louis
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

This is the planning stage for the crew.

These are the two figures coming with the M16 WSN and Trumpeter models. They are action type figures and they are not realistic for the kind of build I am doing. I am presenting a model in action during the Korean war. War is not funny, so what are these guys smiling about... Unless they are posing for a camera, men in war are always tired and do not smile while riding on a open top vehicle. Korea is not Vietnam, this is winter, its cold outside and the shooting is going on. I will not be using them.
I looked around for the most interesting figures that could be used as a base for modification into new ones for the build.

Its winter 1950 Korea, its terribly cold, the Chinese are on the offensive, the situation is dramatic. I therefore need 4 guys with the right equipment and that convey the proper emotions.

This will be the commander, likely standing on the front passenger seat of the cabin. He shows confidence to his men.
Capture2.JPG (35.58 KiB) Viewed 2216 times
This Warrior BAR gunner will be transformed into a M45 gun mount loader, holding an ammo box for reload.
Capture.JPG (59.25 KiB) Viewed 2216 times
This SOL Model Korea BAR gunner will be another loader. Men shown running have the basic elements to put them in a sitting position somewhere, it includes a bended torso and knees. Its future position has not been identified yet. But I am noticing that the space on a M16 is tight, so I will see when I am at that stage.
Capture3.JPG (30.17 KiB) Viewed 2216 times
A figure from a Chinese maker, likely a knock off. The plan is to make it the gunner inside the M45 mount, minus the young girl of course. He seemed to have the right equipment, thick clothing but not too thick, he needs to fit inside. He has winter boots, good. Those Jerrycans he sits on can be of use as well.
Capture4.JPG (33.09 KiB) Viewed 2216 times
Regards, Louis
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

What do I say ?Your M16 is truly a "Tour de Force" :clap: :clap:
I resisted asking if you were going to fit side cargo carriers along each side of the lower body as some were in the earlier unpleasantness because unlike you my research was not centred on the "Korean Police Action",
I feel sure that if there was any historical knowledge of such fitments during that conflict your M16 would by now be sporting them,
Its a bit like Bovington's Tiger 1 with its front step and hand grip,
Certainly they are there to be seen but were they put on by a German Field Workshop or by a REME workshop in preparation for the Kings visit accompanied by Mr Churchill on their visit to North Africa.
Both of these good gentlemen are pictured on top of 131 and they had to have got up there somehow ???
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

jarndice wrote:What do I say ?Your M16 is truly a "Tour de Force" :clap: :clap:
I resisted asking if you were going to fit side cargo carriers along each side of the lower body as some were in the earlier unpleasantness because unlike you my research was not centred on the "Korean Police Action",
I feel sure that if there was any historical knowledge of such fitments during that conflict your M16 would by now be sporting them,
Its a bit like Bovington's Tiger 1 with its front step and hand grip,
Certainly they are there to be seen but were they put on by a German Field Workshop or by a REME workshop in preparation for the Kings visit accompanied by Mr Churchill on their visit to North Africa.
Both of these good gentlemen are pictured on top of 131 and they had to have got up there somehow ???
Hi, from the pictures I have seen of the M16 in wartime, the crew kept the rear side armor free of stowage, surely so that the flaps could be lowered and be ready for action.
The crew were putting the stowage attached to the rear bins at the back, on top of the armored windshield, on the front sides and on the winch platform.
I recently purchased a Tamiya 1/16 Sherman restauration project and the previous owner had included in the package two Ultimate Soldier 1/18 M16 front side tarps. They are a perfect fit for the 1/16 model.
Regards, Louis
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Kaczor »

As I said before, your details are great. Better than I've seen on some 1/6 halftracks ;) It's a pity that there are no more mass produced soft skins available. "Standard" M3 Halftrack would be nice together with Sdkfz 251 ;)

Return to “Other Builds”