Alwyn Turner Nashorn.

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
tomhugill
Captain

Alwyn Turner Nashorn.

Post by tomhugill »

Hey folks,

A build a very long time in the making. The last one Alwyn did, I couldn't bring myself to sell it so I better build it!

I'd hoped to start this some time ago but due to Corona virus the tracks took nearly 3 months to arrive. Lack of suitable gear boxes was an issue too.

The gearbox issue was solved with some jiggery-pokery and kindness of members.

I had some long shaft waltersons ones but they were missing a pinion and 10mm too long.

Happily some spare pinions were donated so I had working gearboxes. The next problem was solved by putting in a new mounting plate and moving the gearboxes 10mm in. Luckily being high low configuration this wasn't an issue.

ImageImage

I fitted the new impact tracks and sprockets and managed to find some metal ball bearing panzer iv idlers.

ImageImage

Last job was tidying up some of the pins which are used for the pivoting bits like the travel lock and shocks on the main gun. In some instances I replaced with styrene rod, some they were glue in and filed flush.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Next job will be installing a tk40 and custom speaker box

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Alwyn Turner Nashorn.

Post by AlwynTurner »

Mmmmmmmmhmm, nostalgia time! :D :clap: I will be watching this with great interest and a twinge of nostalgia. The only other build I'm really waiting for is Wayne's 1/6 version of this.

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
square4
Lance Corporal

Post by square4 »

Looking good, will watch this I have one started but have got side tracked with a couple of panthers.
I never finish anyth
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

AlwynTurner wrote:Mmmmmmmmhmm, nostalgia time! :D :clap: I will be watching this with great interest and a twinge of nostalgia. The only other build I'm really waiting for is Wayne's 1/6 version of this.

Everything is printed Alwyn, I’m just waiting for an opportunity to get the lower hull done at workImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

midlife306 wrote:
AlwynTurner wrote:Mmmmmmmmhmm, nostalgia time! :D :clap: I will be watching this with great interest and a twinge of nostalgia. The only other build I'm really waiting for is Wayne's 1/6 version of this.

Everything is printed Alwyn, I’m just waiting for an opportunity to get the lower hull done at workImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You kept that quiet! 1/6 Nashorn 8)

Lovely piece
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

You haven't seen the printed and assembled 1/6 scale 88, saw it at the scout hut - awesome 8O 8O :D :crazy:

Wayne please post some pics on a separate post - can't hijack Tom's post :{

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

A 1/6 88mm sounds incredible, I can't wait to see it Wayne!

Back to 1/16, with the elefant having reached completion it's time to crack on with some other projects.

Thanks to Mr Rainfords kindness I was able to obtain some Tamiya final drive covers. I took the opportunity to sort the wobble on the drive sprockets too. The problem was the sprocket wasn't deep enough for the flat on the shaft do it was sitting on the shaft but wasn't properly supported at the end. To fix this I added a little spacer on the flat of the shaft and sanded it to fit. I also added washer to the bolts holding the sprockets on. This seems to have fixed the issue.

ImageImageImageImage

Next up I'm adding the missing detail from the real on, I scratch built the bracket for the spare tracks from from styrene with some half round and hex section for the bolts.

ImageImageImage

Head lights were taken from a Tamiya panzer iv, I had to flip one round for correct base orientation. I drilled a hole through the base and fitted a warm white nano LED

ImageImage

The jack and jack block needed adding so I made up some mounts from styrene and brass. The jack it's self is Tamiya and the block is from rctank.de

ImageImageImageImage

Next up I'll be making some spare wheel holders and probably do some welds

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

More spare wheel holders and a start on the foliage loops. Just need the spare wheels nowImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

More spare wheel holders and a start on the foliage loops. Just need the spare wheels nowImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Looking great Tom, following along with great interest. :clap: :clap: :thumbup:

Return to “Other Builds”