Torro/Taigen kit Tiger

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Torro/Taigen kit Tiger

Post by ronnie42 »

Might be some old pics on forum but going to put everything here. Going to try and get a start on this again, my Panther F has hit a dead end. Brass is lost in transit and my soldering station is having a flaky :thumbdown: Pictures to show whats been done so far , need to find pic for turret numbers or change camo. Just the tools , cables and jack to do . The old switch was playing up after i soldered cable on, so started with new switch.The Atak zimmererit is good where you need to open up the tank up.
Too many stripes.
Too many stripes.
Made a tow bracket with some brass scrap, and mudguards from thin brass sheet.
Made a tow bracket with some brass scrap, and mudguards from thin brass sheet.
Now who can date a tiger by the track cable fittings?
Now who can date a tiger by the track cable fittings?
Work on this stopped after the shovel was added.
Work on this stopped after the shovel was added.
P5213252.jpg
Turret ring moved and added thick styrene to stop flex. servo converted for rotation ,2 gears are easier to position The side skirts are thin brass fitted centre brace, but not needed as its thicker than the PE stuff
Turret ring moved and added thick styrene to stop flex. servo converted for rotation ,2 gears are easier to position The side skirts are thin brass fitted centre brace, but not needed as its thicker than the PE stuff
turret base adjusted to fit new centre.
turret base adjusted to fit new centre.
Fitted bearings in the Mantlet , drilled out the lifting pin and fitted tube for bearings.
Fitted bearings in the Mantlet , drilled out the lifting pin and fitted tube for bearings.
Old switch died as i tried to resolder a connection  fitted a better switch.
Old switch died as i tried to resolder a connection fitted a better switch.
Attachments
Turret Mantlet gaps filled  AL tube for IR emitter and no issues with the large servos.
Turret Mantlet gaps filled AL tube for IR emitter and no issues with the large servos.
Last edited by ronnie42 on Mon May 25, 2020 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Re: Torro/Taigen kit Tiger

Post by ronnie42 »

Going for a mid /hybrid build as its got zimmermit. Easy one first bar on front for track links . Removed smoke candles and old style cupola.
Steel tube cant fit the plastic strip
Steel tube cant fit the plastic strip
New style cupola, looks wrong a bit high.
New style cupola, looks wrong a bit high.
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

The rework of the early mess to a mid is rolling along, rear deck and turret roof almost done. Will let the pics do the most of the talking :D
The cupola marked for cutting
The cupola marked for cutting
Cupola cut down and rear deck cleared
Cupola cut down and rear deck cleared
Mid air intake, gas soldering iron is only running on max heat not very neat
Mid air intake, gas soldering iron is only running on max heat not very neat
Long pins to fix, cleaned up a little paint will hide the rest
Long pins to fix, cleaned up a little paint will hide the rest
Fitted air intake,holes line up and other filled.
Fitted air intake,holes line up and other filled.
Removed old fan position and filled joint at cupola
Removed old fan position and filled joint at cupola
Tidied up roof edge at old fan
Tidied up roof edge at old fan
Styrene then filler
Styrene then filler
New fan position , managed to save old fitting
New fan position , managed to save old fitting
Loaders periscope cut
Loaders periscope cut
Cant load more than 10 attachments, well the rest can wait. :D Need to find out about the panel in front of the exhausts as it wrong.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

That's definitely an early version, what made you decide on that cupola? I thought they didn't have those until the late version came out with the steel roadwheels? Or possibly the mid had a cupola like that? I'll have to check that.

If you're going with the mid you'll need to lose the feifel air cleaners.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Yes, my mid version does have that cupola, but not the air cleaners.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

OK. my bad, I now see that by the last photos you have indeed lost the air cleaners. Fine job, but it's not nice to confuse and old man like that!! 8) :haha:
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I am interested by your question about the date of the Track Cable because the one shown should be on an "Early" Tunisian Tiger 1 which could be found in Panzer Abteilung 501 (It must be clearly stated that the German Armed Forces did not use the term MID to describe the evolution of the Tiger 1) which make the lack of a pistol port an unlikely sight at that date ,(1942/43)
Very late in the European war some of the Fehrmann Gruppe Tigers and other floating units could be seen with this particular track cable pattern but it was not a standard arrangement indeed by that stage of the war very little in the way of Standard fittings could be found on Tigers in the field,
A very nice build and Paint scheme :thumbup:
Last edited by jarndice on Sun May 24, 2020 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

A tip for Anyone fitting the Working hinged front and rear Aber/Voyager Fenders,
I always glue a 1mm plasticard backing to them because the Photo-Etch is a bit too flimsy and tends to shake the fittings loose.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

jaundice you are right about the PE mudguards and side skirts. Wish they would make the PE slightly thicker to improve the strength . Was going to use the Voyager m/guards and side skirts but found a thin brass sheet, i just transferred the sizes and made them. Brass is easy to use.
The voyager pe is used as a template
The voyager pe is used as a template
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

Hi max In July 43 Zimmermit and the new cupola were ordered to be fitted to the tank. So my early was way out, or it could have been a rebuild you never know. Like the zimmermit look , have a jagdpanther waiting for a build, it will have the Atak zimmermit.

Return to “Other Builds”