Hooben/asiatam/ludwig/armoured models Elefant

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
tomhugill
Captain

Re: Hooben/asiatam/ludwig/armoured models Elefant

Post by tomhugill »

Hey folks,

Afew updated on this one. Digging into the details you realise whilst the detail hooben have represented are generally correct and in the right place they're pretty low detail and can be improved on. Something I have also realised is on its travels some bits have been mislaid and will need replacing. One of the fender supports, tow shackle holder and some handles off the engine deck. I also need to do something about the gaps in the Atak zim

ImageImageImageImage

Some of the replacement bits. Replacing the non scale grab handles with brass ones.

I've also started refitting some of external bits that I'm not modifying.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
ImageImageImage

I've also reworked the welds using the soldering iron method

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Finally I wanted a working convoy light. The elefant uses the panzer iv type which only modellbaugasse do and is out of stock. So I made on using the existing bits. Jimbo wans excellent elefant blog gave me some initial ideas, then I refined.

ImageImageImageImageImage

First thing was to open the two apatite that are there already and open two more in the middle. The outside ones were squared off with a small file. Then I built the centre ones with styrene. Lighting is courtesy of two 5mm green leds ground square and glued together. I tried them head on and perpendicular. Head on was a bit too bright and head on was much better.
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

WOWSER, what a beauty
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Hey folks, finally got back on to the elefant. Had some goodies from germany thanks to Christian Ludwig. A fine line mg34 replaced the poorly detailed solid plastic one from hooben, mk 3m antenna, resin jack block, new metal sprocket scrapers and a brilliant travel lock from ludwig. I've also made up some new lifting eyes and bits on the engine covers, I'm not sure what they are but the were a pig to make! Added the sledge hammer and made some scratch built mounts for it in brass.

I've decided to use the rctanksaustralia piranha I had knocking about. Pleasantly surprised with how well it blends in. I've tried both hatches, any feed back from you folks on which looks best would be appreciated.

She's now pretty much ready for paint l, which I'm really looking forward to. If anyone has any good schemes I'd love to see them.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Fairly big update. My favourite phase in any build is the painting. I love how you go from a disparate bunch of bits to something very unified when that primer goes on, especially red oxide.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Assembling the paint, I usually have to buy new for a project as I tend to use it all up, seems however I had the forethought to by extra in the heavily used base colours. I'll be using a mix of AK (for the dark yellow) and ammo for the camo.

First stage is modulation of the base yellow

Everything looks very extreme at this stage, fear not it gets toned down as the painting progresses.

Next we do the chipping. I usually use cheap hair spray but I had some AK scratch fluid in. This is less extreme than the other fluids and mainly I had it in.

Water then reactivates it and using a brush you chip away till you get the desired result.

Once chipping is done another spray over of scratches fluid and then camo. I've settled on a tri colour squiggly affair

And my interpretation

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

That's all for now!

Marco Peter
Sergeant

Post by Marco Peter »

Very sexy result. And I love how many detailed pics you upload! :thumbup:
1:16 was my scale. Until 'Konan' came into my life... an Armortek 1:6 Tiger 1!
... Now followed by a Panther G, 'Gunther'!

I'm a happy man. 8)
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

That is one astonishing piece! That Camouflage is very well done. Nice

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Tanks alot.... :wave:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Perfect outcome.
I have one in the box for a future project & in my minds eye it would look just like this !!
Outstanding job
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Hey folks, thanks for the kind words couple of updates in one. Firstly I applied the markings, numbers and balkencross were done with stencils and the unit marking was done with a hooben decal I had some how kept over the last 9 years. Unfortunately it doesn’t have the white background it should, so I made a stencil for it and applied the decal on top.

Next I tried a brushed filter, using the ammo tan filter. Really please with how this cam out, not to overpowering but gives extra contrast to the zimerite and has worked as a light pin wash. I’ll be applying a darker one next for extra depth.

I also started painting some of the details like tools, jack block and the scopes initial black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Nice subtle color really well done.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Tanks alot.... :wave:
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Hey folks,

Continuing the subtle theme I've been adding a pin wash after a gloss coat of future. I've used a dark brown rather than black as the tanks of a light colouring. Ive tried to be a bit more careful and take more time than usual and minimise rework to take off excesses. I might come back to this stage and add more depth in places but for the time being I'm happy. Next will be streaking and grime.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Other Builds”