1951s King Tiger

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

1951s King Tiger

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Hey everybody. I have been given a tamiya king tiger. One guy found it in the bin, gave it to another guy, he did not like it and it ended in my hands.

So I decided to do something new with it, to paint it in a 1951 scheme, for my dystopian battlefield.

I will eventually replace the turret with a wooden basket, because the plan is to make a bergetiger 2 with it. So far I am happy with it.
photo_2020-04-30_10-15-23.jpg
photo_2020-04-30_10-15-24.jpg
It has more markings that the ones you can see there. I added a G over the engine. Great idea that came from our colleague SCHWEREPANZER I wil post more pics at some point. Once when I receive the barrel and once the bergetiger basket is done.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
jarndice
Colonel

Re: 1951s King Tiger

Post by jarndice »

Hi Rad, I know that the French used Panthers after WW2 and Syria and others used the Panzer 4 after WW2 but I was not aware that the Tiger2 saw service after WW2 except as targets on gunnery ranges,
I must admit I have never seen the fascination with Tiger 2s so I have never looked into the history of the type.
I would like to know more about your plans for a Bergepanzer Tiger 2 :thumbup:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Hi Jarndice, I think you have not seen them because, as far as I know, there were no tiger 2 in use after the WW2.

But in my imaginary timeline, in 1951 there is still war (but almost ending) Rommel is alive and in charge of the axis army and there are some more strange things like UFOs and other secret weapons. Hence I paint my models feeling free and not following any historical accuracy but just how I think they look nice.

About the bergetiger 2, I think they did not exist, but considering the panther was "almost" the same tank as the king tiger, I will keep following that path.

Plan will be to have a bergetiger running with a benedini mini module, and to leave the turret in the ground, in my diorama. Lets see how it goes!
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

Just to add my 2 cents worth, I imagine that if King Tigers were still in service, their problems may have been solved. Is there a way to model those solutions? In much the same way the Pz IV was up- armoured, maybe there is a way to indicate a different powerplant was used, maybe with a raised engine deck to fit a radial engine or a multi-unit engine like the Sherman used?
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Estnische wrote:Just to add my 2 cents worth, I imagine that if King Tigers were still in service, their problems may have been solved. Is there a way to model those solutions? In much the same way the Pz IV was up- armoured, maybe there is a way to indicate a different powerplant was used, maybe with a raised engine deck to fit a radial engine or a multi-unit engine like the Sherman used?
Sure there were a lot of improvements planned, some of them I have already seen in 1/35 scale models, like infra red lights, extra spaced plate in the upper turret, different exhausts and many more. All of that was for end of 1945 and what if 1946 models.

But about my own model, well, I have been struggling what to do with it. As you many know my experience with Tamiya is... "Not good" at its best, and I did not want to spend not even one Euro of this Tamiya tank. Idea was to give a quick paint and to fit it in a diorama in the basement and forget about it...

I was thinking about the RC panorama here in my city, about how frowned upon the RC tanks are (banned from most RC events, and with no tank events at all) and the lack of toys I had for being able to assist to any "civilian rc event" here, so then the Bergetiger 2 idea came to my mind. It is some sort of bending the rules, like "Yeah tanks are banned, but look! Mine is not a tank! is a vintage working machine! It has no turret, it carries tools and tows other vehicles" and to try if they swallow it, lol.

So hence the undetailed body with no accesories (and no WW2 slogans) and the idea to use the turret in my diorama, once the barrel arrives.

If things were different here, I would finish it as a true what if 1951 tank with tons of gadgets, because there is plenty of room inside for them. Anyway I ended loving the look of it, and I must say I like it much more than my zimmerited three tone king tiger.
PershingLover
Corporal

Post by PershingLover »

A bergetiger 2 is not really a great idea... The thing can barely move itself!
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

PershingLover wrote:A bergetiger 2 is not really a great idea... The thing can barely move itself!
Not the one built in 1951, which has the superturbocharger with flux condensor and works with uranium! lol
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

Rad_Schuhart wrote:
PershingLover wrote:A bergetiger 2 is not really a great idea... The thing can barely move itself!
Not the one built in 1951, which has the superturbocharger with flux condensor and works with uranium! lol
Yes that’s the way to go!
Peregrine
Recruit

Post by Peregrine »

NoooooOO! Do not replace this turret! I love the work you did. This tank is perfect!! (just get a barrel mounted).
Maybe the Bergetiger 2 will look nice, too, but this tank look is amazing. It'd be such a shame to change it.
Why don't you get some cheap HL Tiger I body and do Bergetiger out of that?
That's because it has pos Tamiya gearbox and electronics.. lol
Once Rad does the overhaul, it'll fly like an angry buffolo :)
Torro Late Tiger I: metal pro version, ASP2/Taranis controls, many customizations.
Taigen KV-1: HL 2.4GHz controls, few customizations.

Under Construction:
HL M41 Bulldog: ASP2/Taranis controls, all metal upgrades, many customizations.
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Peregrine wrote: Why don't you get some cheap HL Tiger I body and do Bergetiger out of that?
Because I am poor and I don't want more tanks, lol. Anyway the idea is to be able to swap between the normal turret and the bergetiger basket, so it can be used in war or as a repair tank when needed.

Return to “Other Builds”