Rebuilding the KV-1, again...

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Jarlath
Corporal

Rebuilding the KV-1, again...

Post by Jarlath »

My metal Taigen KV-1 has been my main battler since I first acquired it from MichaelC years ago... (Has it really been nearly 4 years!).
Last year was the internal upgrade and I re-routed and remounted the internals to more of my style.
I also switched to a TK-40S last year from the TK-22. Loved the new controls, but I think the inside pf the tank got a tad hot...

The old mounting plate. I noticed something was off when my speaker box had come lose.
Rectangular outline denotes the old speaker location

My 0.080" PS Sheet had detached itself from the smoothed down Taigen mounting tray. I did use a fair amount of glue...

Some severe warpage of the PS Sheet that was used... My ON/Off switch mount visible from the side (4 solid square PS pcs).

Another angle... Severe warpage... I can only conclude that the heat buildup inside the tank was huge...

So I 3D printed a pair of identical base plates.They use the standard 4 holes in the hull for the Taigen tray and a another 4 extra holes drilled through the hull floor

A rough new layout approximation of where everything is going to sit.A pair of fans to circulate air in the tank, the TK-60, reused speaker and battery.

The Taigen black gearboxes are phenomenal and push the 22lbs tank all over the place...

Location or RX, On/Off switch, TK-60 and a pair of RX powered fans for air circulation.

Speaker and battery locations. Will still need to make all the mounts and retaining trays, but it is a concept :)
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Rebuilding the KV-1, again...

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

The thing with the kv-1 and correct me if I’m wrong but all though the fans will help with the heat unlike the Sherman’s and tigers there’s not really anywhere for that heat to go as there isn’t really much in the way of engine vents/grills. Mine currently is standard so the Taigen board has a fan but as I said all it’s doing is circulating hot air so when I run it I usually keep the hull slightly open while I figure out where to vent it. Drilling vents between the gearboxes seem to be an idea at the moment. Unless you can make the decorative extractors functioning ones
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
Jarlath
Corporal

Post by Jarlath »

I have the aftermarket hatches installed overtop the gearboxes (They rattle like a Mofo!) So I do have an outlet for heat.
Similar to this (My side boxes are metal too and rattle as well... Need to magnetize them shut).

Dave has them at Forgebear! HERE

I'm also going to open up the driver's view slot and Dremel out the hull where the engine air intake covers are.
(Mine are currently covered with a mesh for looks but not opened into the hull).
Last edited by Jarlath on Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jarlath
Corporal

Post by Jarlath »

Further to the rebuild internally,

This is how I plan stuff. Sketches! Go Go 3D printing thinking cap...
Jarlath
Corporal

Post by Jarlath »

From sketch to finished product...
First attempt at the new speaker box...

Fit-up is perfect! YAY! No more iterations to print...

And install position! (I just screwed the box down into the base plates)

Return to “Other Builds”