SAMOKHODNAYA USTANOVKA-152/KV14 RENOVATORS DREAM!

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: SAMOKHODNAYA USTANOVKA-152/KV14 RENOVATORS DREAM!

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I needed to cover bare patches where side armour had been roughly removed. There were screw heads, holes and exposed base material that needed to be covered.
I stippled on Tamiya putty you assist in covering these messed up spots.
Plan to blend in a mix of pigments over a rough 4BO green .
The upper hull had the same putty scrapped on with an old card, then a rougher old card dragged in the direction of the rolled plate to add more to the surface.
Could be that it’s done again once the primer is on.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Soeren »

For my eyelets connecting the cable to the hull I mixed the vms texture pigment into the green. That worked exactly to my taste. That would have been too much vor the overall hull texture though. I am curious to see how your pigments will work.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Had a bit of a go at the barrel mounting.
Now the lower hull is pretty much done, and the upper electronics need to be worked into the barrel mechanism, time to get the creative juice flowing :eh:
There is not a whole lot of options I can use in this case, so taking the pivot point and mantlet mounting(or lack thereof) into account, decided to dremmel the guts out of the resin mantlet & allow it to fit over a piece of copper tube(thats said Toob to you left hand drivers!)
The barrel that I got came with no inner sleeve, so some form of integration had to be invented.
I held the copper tube in the upper hull & marked the pivot points with a permanent marker.
Drilled through the tube, & used a section of brass tube to pass clean through and act as the pivot ears.
Out with the solder paste & set it in place.
I used an air die grinder to remove the brass section of tube that was on the inside of the copper to allow the barrel to clear & reciprocate as required.
Once placed into the casemate I think the mantlet might be held in place with an O-ring recessed into the resin.
The end of the copper will be profiled to suit the mantlet.
Should allow the barrel to recoil smoothly.
Attachments
P8090006.JPG
P8090005.JPG
P8090003.JPG
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

Coming along nicely Herr Bix. Looking forward to whatever comes next.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Thanks Mr E , minor progress really & certainly not worth pictures!
Just working out pivot lengths and how to secure the mantlet
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Starting to look the goods now.
I trimmed the copper sleeve to a closer profile of the mantlet & used putty inside the mantlet to get the tolerances closer.
Plan to use putty to close any gaps & blend them together once the elevation mechanism is finalised.
For now, its on to the internal bits of hardware that will function the gun.
Then the outer details & paint
Attachments
P8220002.JPG
P8220002.JPG (91.37 KiB) Viewed 1651 times
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good evening, Herman!
A Beast of a Main Gun there! Excellent work(fun)!
following along,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Zveroboy :D

Super cool. Love the gun barrel.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Love your custom made barrel support :thumbup:

May I make a suggestion, should you ever do this again, it may pay you to make little washers from the solder pipe fitting for that size pipe, and solder them in place around the little brass tube at the same time you solder that tube, for added strength. That's if you had the luxury of the extra width the "washers" would create.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

No such space luxury I'm afraid Mr Gunner. I used smoke tube over the trunnions to allow a bit of compression once I secure the mount properly, and to add a little bit of resistance to the freeplay.
Im bound a bit by the previous state of the pivot points made into the resin & I dont really want to go mucking around too much with very old resin.
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “Other Builds”