KV-1

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: KV-1

Post by Soeren »

You are right, the details on these Tamiya rc tanks are not too impressive out of the box.
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

Hey there did soemthing to the wheels to try the filters. The triples of road wheels each got a different type of oil filter with two passes. The Idlers and sprokets were painted with at least two filter types in different sections.

ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

First time i looked thought cant see any difference , then next time yes but its very subtle :D
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

It is indeed. The three tip left have ochre, top right olive (which is the best suited filter) left bottom is faded green - giving a nice blueish tinge - bottom right is industrial earth a strong dark olive brown. On the sprockets the teeth are olive and the ring with the bolts has the blueish faded green. All Abteilung 502 oils. I am not unhappy with the result.
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

Hey there, after testing a bit what kind of shading colour I would use - Olive mixed wiht industrial earth gives a nice and deep olive color - I went for a dot applied paintjob on the turret. The end result is really to my liking. Used a pallet of 6 Abtl 502 oil piants, the lighter ones more for the upper half and the darker ones to the lower half. Paints were thinned for application with VMS oil expert enhancing medium satine.

Dot applied semi random

Now the color is much more vivid and accentuated, sompare with the 1/35th scale kit that only got the olive filter.

Shadows below, highlights and some color variation higher up
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

Very nice finish . Wish we had a pic of the blending, for me it would be strange to apply random dots of the filters unless i had seen it done. :O
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

I will take pictures during the process next time. The paints thinned with the VMS products and a brush very slightly dampened with thinners blends totally easy.
Exhibitedbrute

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

I have to be honest though the results of those filters are pleasing much like most of us weathering. I imagine it can get quite frustrating getting the shade you want when blending. Again much like some of us weathering. It annoys the hell out of me when I can’t get it how I want it
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

Exhibitedbrute wrote:I have to be honest though the results of those filters are pleasing much like most of us weathering. I imagine it can get quite frustrating getting the shade you want when blending. Again much like some of us weathering. It annoys the hell out of me when I can’t get it how I want it
It was a good start for me to try the colours individually on the wheels, so I knew what to expect. In the end it turned out exctly like I wanted it to be in this case. As I never tried this "dot filter" before, I was of course a bit hesitant.
Exhibitedbrute

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

The end result does look a lot better than a standard coat of paint but I doubt I would have the patients to do that then wether it
It’s your tank it’s what you make it

Return to “Other Builds”