KV-1

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: KV-1

Post by Soeren »

MontanaGold Series scrapes of as well. Will try black series as well.

I sprayed all my other tanks with that paint already and you can sand it and unless you go at it with a screwdriver you wont damage it. There is definitely something going on with that material.
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

Good afternoon. Worked on the rolled steel effect on the turret and also added some exaggerated weld lines.

A bit of cast texture added to the gun mount.

The Aber machine guns are rather nice upgrades as well and they are hollowed. But the inner diameter is really thin so they don't take the optical fibre from the kit.

Also widened and slightly textured those filled bolt hole marks. They look a bit too overdone ootb.ImageImageImage

Gesendet von meinem SM-G900F mit Tapatalk
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

I would agree about the bolt holes. The circles are supposed to represent the bolt holes being welded over, but they are much too prominent from the pics I have of the real tanks. I'm removing them completely from my SU-152 front since they aren't present on that TD. I found that Aber machine gun a royal PITA to solder, but I've gotten better at it since then.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

The bolt holes are sanded down and still too prominent. I guess I will drill them out completely and fill with putty. I just found a PDF online with pictures of all surviving kv tanks and they show them really flush. On the other hand the tank panels are soon deeply pitted, that some of those could as well be river finds. But still 4bo says they are already too prominert on the trumPeter kit and I would say these are already somewhat less scale wise compared with the Tamiya tank. By the way, although the Trumpeter kit has some weld seams, in the pictures of the real things I couldn't find any. Caveat: there should be a simplified turret out there maybe that is the version without weld seams.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning,
The earlier Soviet tanks such as the KV series were manufactured and put together with a great deal more care and attention to detail than later on. After Stalin sobered up and realized that he could lose the whole damn Country, emphasis was put on speed and efficiency in manufacturing of the Armored forces. Hence the flame cut welds and pitted armor plate and etc....etc...
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

By the way. I didn't bother soldering the machine guns. I have a special superglue that until recently worked very well with all the people. Loctite 424.
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

PainlessWolf wrote:Good morning,
The earlier Soviet tanks such as the KV series were manufactured and put together with a great deal more care and attention to detail than later on. After Stalin sobered up and realized that he could lose the whole damn Country, emphasis was put on speed and efficiency in manufacturing of the Armored forces. Hence the flame cut welds and pitted armor plate and etc....etc...
regards,
Painless
Good to know. Thanks. On some of the surviving kv1s there is almost no pitting visible in the panels. Still, this is a model that needs charter. So texture and welds it will be. Well and I enjoy doing a mess with Mr Surfacer on these large models anyway. By the way I first thought there is no texture on the Trumpeter kit. But there is, it is really very subtle and also some very fine weld and torch cut marks can be found. But they are less obvious than all those sink holes in the parts ;)
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning again,
The last Trumpeter kit that I used for research ( that I remember ) was one of the builds for the beutepanzer KV-2 ( The Palace ) It was a great kit and most of the casting marks were on the inside of the pieces ( thankfully )
regards,
Painless
Attachments
Ready to go BOOM.JPG
Ready to go BOOM.JPG
1 35 Trumpeter 1941 KV-2A.JPG
1 35 Trumpeter 1941 KV-2A.JPG
...Here for the Dawn...
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

I have that KV-2 kit also and I think it is quite decent.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

The Trumpeter kit has great detail. The wing nuts on the barrel cleaner tube alone look amazing. Some silly gaps are not so nice though. Considering the low price of these kits makes it a nice package nonetheless.

Tried the electornics today and wow, the speaker gives awesome sounds. I wired the electronics with one of my Flysky FS-T6 radios, using the exponential function as 75/100 the trim functions at least give the proper sound response. Once put together it should work fine.

Return to “Other Builds”