KV-1

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: KV-1

Post by Soeren »

This will take some time for sure. But I always wanted to make good use of the plethor of oil paints I bought some time ago.

Quick in between,just rub it until it is o your liking. Only some thinners on the brush to keep the paint workable.

After doing the turret I went for the lower hull that has a much more vivid green now as well and attempted some panels on the upper deck with the focus being the engine hatches until now. More brown to the area covered by the turret together with the blueish green and yellsow and olives to the other side, adding more variety and fake shadows.

Will now have to work along until all the upper is looking nice.
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Soeren absolutely beautiful job!
Tanks alot.... :wave:
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

Soeren thats better a pic with a talk thro :D Know how its done now.
Exhibitedbrute

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

I agree it does look very good. Mind if I put a photo of my kv-1 here for people to compare your shading along with normal weathering? It think the comparisons will compliment your shading quite well
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

You are welcome to share your work Exhibitedbrute :thumbup:
Exhibitedbrute

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

So here is my kv1 with its standard weathering. The idea here is that the comparison of the 2 will help you guys decide if you want to shade and with any luck compliment the efforts gone to with the shading on this build. Underneath all of that mud and white was it’s just Vallejo 4bo just a standard airbrush job nothing special with some sponged on dirt and white wash.

If you focus on just the green base coat it looks quite bland in comparison
Attachments
C37B6DBF-3945-4649-9590-98E20264A893.jpeg
C37B6DBF-3945-4649-9590-98E20264A893.jpeg (34.55 KiB) Viewed 2223 times
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

The tank looks great Exhibitedbrute.

Today I put some more effort in the hull sides before turning to the upper hull again where I did the engine deck complete now.
The sides are now really interesting looking with a lot of green shades and some mossy appearance.ImageImageImage

By the way, the light yellow colour in the second picture in the tray is called "light sand", to me it looks more like pus. :think:
Exhibitedbrute

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

Rather interestingly I’m not completely satisfied with mine but I suppose it’s all about the time of year you go for. For mine it’s just coming through the back end of winter so everything on it would be quite dull with few or no shades and to an extent white wash protecting the base coat where as yours at the moment looks more late spring to summer so would have different shades and levels of wear that the shading does well
AlexW34
Private

Post by AlexW34 »

Wishing I had an airbrush now :(
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

Exhibitedbrute wrote:Rather interestingly I’m not completely satisfied with mine but I suppose it’s all about the time of year you go for. For mine it’s just coming through the back end of winter so everything on it would be quite dull with few or no shades and to an extent white wash protecting the base coat where as yours at the moment looks more late spring to summer so would have different shades and levels of wear that the shading does well
At the moment it feels like going a bit out of hand and I wont necessarily do the same on the 1/35th scale tank. It just takes a lot of time an the real shadows are not yet added by this method. Nonetheless you can achieve really nice and mooth transitions. Worked on the upper deck sides and the stowage boxes today and was really happy with the shadows and different colors I could achieve. If I was any good in color theory I would be able to better predict the effect of mixing different tones and how to desaturate the colors. This is just trial and eror atm.
But I can now see how one can give life to a monochrome spray can coat without the need for for an airbrush. It would also be interesting how a camo paint would look like, if by blending you can achieve something like a sprayed on look.

What also helped in my attempts was this VMS oil expert. Although I thought to have bought the wrong product, Satin instead of matt, the results dont look too shiny and the paint dries quickly and feels perfectly solid after a short time aready.

Return to “Other Builds”