Panzer Spirit Build 2022 - ?

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: Panzer Spirit Build 2022 - ?

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

I agree about iced tea and modeling, a staple combination for me. However, be careful about the similar appearance between iced tea and dirty brush cleaner. Ooh! Bad mix to sip! :sick:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Ha!! I too had a near miss once when cleaning a brush, just missed my Tennessee Sippin Whiskey by that much .
Now my brush cleaning cup is kept well away from the good stuff, never to be repeated !

Oh, good progress too Mr Wolf, you are a devil for the details mate.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning, Gentlemen,
I hear you about brush cleaner mishaps. I keep the cleaner in it's original, small glass bottle with lid. No issues with confusing it with a Mason jar. (I hope) Thanks for looking in! More details to follow.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Ok!
Except for it's Coat of Blue Glow, the Sherman ( and it's crew are done ) I'll do the UV paint at the same time for both of these vehicles. Here is another Lot of Pics. Next up is the Commander of the Jagdpanther and the complex Paint Job for that Beast.
Pics: ( Click to Enlarge )
Attachments
A good shot of Mr. Fafner.jpg
A good shot of Mr. Fafner.jpg
Looking significantly more real.jpg
Looking significantly more real.jpg
Primer time for Sherri.jpg
Primer time for Sherri.jpg
Jim getting the initial coat of Flats...Notice that I want his goggle glass left shiny....jpg
Jim getting the initial coat of Flats...Notice that I want his goggle glass left shiny....jpg
Time for figure painting fun
Time for figure painting fun
Not forgetting what lies ahead.jpg
Not forgetting what lies ahead.jpg
Will have to fix the ...clean.... as well..jpg
Will have to fix the ...clean.... as well..jpg
Way too shiny but that will get resolved.jpg
Way too shiny but that will get resolved.jpg
Initial coats of primer and gunmetal and olive drab.jpg
Initial coats of primer and gunmetal and olive drab.jpg
Prepping to paint the 50 cal.jpg
Prepping to paint the 50 cal.jpg
Last edited by PainlessWolf on Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Continued from Above:
Attachments
Off to find Trouble.jpg
Off to find Trouble.jpg
One Tank of the Build complete.jpg
One Tank of the Build complete.jpg
Realism comes for Sherri.jpg
Realism comes for Sherri.jpg
Closeup of the other side of Jim Fafner.jpg
Closeup of the other side of Jim Fafner.jpg
Musty ... Needs a good airing out..jpg
Musty ... Needs a good airing out..jpg
Weathered .50 cal.jpg
Weathered .50 cal.jpg
Now that's a reincarnated Queen of the Elves.jpg
Now that's a reincarnated Queen of the Elves.jpg
I just love Shermans.jpg
I just love Shermans.jpg
Sitting for 40 yrs...lets see what we can do.jpg
Sitting for 40 yrs...lets see what we can do.jpg
Lacquer job forthcoming.jpg
Lacquer job forthcoming.jpg
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Afternoon all!
Still looking for that photo of the Sherman with the 12 spoke steel idler wheel. ( like the Mato representation ) I have seen it in one of my Zaloga books so it must be out on the WWW somewhere as well. If not, Sassgrunt showed me how to swap out the idler front plate so that a six spoke appearance is substituted for the original Mato while keeping the needed width of the idler. This Sherman was harder to work on than a similar plastic hulled \ turreted version. It makes up for that by being _Solid_
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Afternoon,
A small update sans the usual Pictures. The Jagdpanther Lower is primed and curing for later paint. We have had days of continual rain so as an oddity, it is a little too humid to paint up here. Looking at the Upper, it is ready for primer except for...( I looked at the Archer weld beads on Barry's Abrams and it struck me how smooth the joins are on the Taigen \ Torro Jagdpanther Upper armor plates). The HengLong upper is exactly the same. So I ordered the Archer weld beads today in .040\1mm . No problem waiting to finish the paint, it is too humid anyway. This added detail will help to add needed realism. See you with another update later this week.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good afternoon! I managed to prime and paint the Jagdpanther lower with the ( admittedly ) small amount of required coverage. I used the last of a rattle can of Model Masters Desert Yellow since it matched the existing paint on the road wheels much better than the Tamiya that will get used on the Upper. Primer was the usual red brown with an etching factor to account for the brass trim. The same will also be used on the Upper.
Attachments
Far too smooth and awaiting Archers assistance.jpg
Far too smooth and awaiting Archers assistance.jpg
A little fill in detail painting will see the Lower ready for the UV and weathering....jpg
A little fill in detail painting will see the Lower ready for the UV and weathering....jpg
Lower fully primered.jpg
Lower fully primered.jpg
Fortunately I spotted the mistake and cleaned off the red reflector lens with a toothpick before putting on more primer....jpg
Fortunately I spotted the mistake and cleaned off the red reflector lens with a toothpick before putting on more primer....jpg
Keeping it as clean as possible.jpg
Keeping it as clean as possible.jpg
Also awaiting final UV paint and weathering....jpg
Also awaiting final UV paint and weathering....jpg
Copious amounts of blue painters tape and self adhesive dots and rubber tubing later....jpg
Copious amounts of blue painters tape and self adhesive dots and rubber tubing later....jpg
Carefully removing parts and pieces.jpg
Carefully removing parts and pieces.jpg
WIP getting the Jagpanther ready for the next steps..jpg
WIP getting the Jagpanther ready for the next steps..jpg
...Here for the Dawn...
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Painless, might you tell us about what paints you are using on the tracks and tools (before weathering)? I have seen so much variety in these and I keep changing them, trying to figure out what would be more accurate.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning, Herr Doc!
All of my tank tracks of late have been metal and painted at the factory. All that I do to make them more realistic in appearance is to run them out in the rough. For tool handles, I use Model Masters 'Leather' in enamel applied to plastic or metal that has been scribed to resemble wood grain. A black wash completes the look after the enamel dries. Metal heads, blades, etc.are cleaned up with a small file and dotted with Tamiya rust or dirt weathering depending on vehicle and location of use....Now on this Build, the tanks have been sitting with all their attendant gear for some 4 decades. The wood on everything will look washed out and there will be rust.
regards,
Painless
Last edited by PainlessWolf on Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
...Here for the Dawn...

Return to “Other Builds”