PHF 1/16 Jagdsturmtiger

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: PHF 1/16 Jagdsturmtiger

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

:) I'd be uber-chuffed with print results like these. One would be hard-pressed to find the equivalent from an online seller :| Love the wing nuts especially!
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
PatrickH
Recruit

Post by PatrickH »

Apologies for the delay in my responses here but I’ve been quite busy with the build, lots of tweaking, re-printing, re-designing, re-printing etc – I’ll try and update with pictures soon.

SCHWEREPANZER: Thanks, have taken your suggestion in mind and have re-designed the cupola, will post pics soon. =)

c.rainford73: Cheers, lots to do still but getting there bit by bit and enjoying the process as I go along.

Von Mooflesaaa:
Thanks, glad you like what you see =)

43rdRecceReg: I know what you mean, I don’t even consider buying ready made items now, if I need something, I always think if I can make it first, how easy it is and if I can do it. Buying aftermarket product’s kinda like the last resort in my mind.
PatrickH
Recruit

Post by PatrickH »

time for an update as this is long overdue.

As i wasn't happy with the overall fit of the last roof base, i decided to tweak the design and then re-print for a better fit. I sprayed sugar water on the build plate to help with adhesion and this was before i re-leveled the plate. Thankfully, 6 hours went by and the corners didn't lift so I got a perfect print which isn't easy to say the least.
new roof print
new roof print
DSC_0880.JPG (97.91 KiB) Viewed 2162 times
I then went about attaching the separate resin printed hatch by first taping it from the bottom and then using gorilla glue for the seams
assembly
assembly
DSC_0977.JPG (29.17 KiB) Viewed 2162 times
Then once that has dried and cleaned up, I applied resin with a brush on the surface to help eliminate the print lines, left to dry, which was still a little bit wet looking, sanded and the result was a smooth surface =) I will then apply, Mr Surfacer 500 on top of this to finish.
assembly
assembly
DSC_0985.JPG (27.63 KiB) Viewed 2162 times
Next I worked on the raised commander's cupola, designed on Fusion 360 and printed on the Photon but I wasn't happy with the sharp edge at the bottom of the periscope housing so once again, I tweaked the design to have a much more curvier look and added a few details and re-printed again. I then added MrSurfacer500 to simulate cast texture.
left cupola is the final iteration
left cupola is the final iteration
DSC_1002.JPG (17.56 KiB) Viewed 2162 times
Next was the MG bubble, again not happy with the Asiatam's version so I popped the old one out and designed my own with a working ball. For the opening, instead of the trapezoid design that the ST usually come with, I based mine on the Panther's as I like the look of it better. I reasoned, this was a paper panzer so why not?!
bubble
bubble
The render above was actually the initial concept, I added a curve to the upper opening in my final design and added a back retainer for the ball
mg bubble shots
mg bubble shots
rear shot of the bubble render
rear shot of the bubble render
DSC_0999.JPG (18.29 KiB) Viewed 2162 times
I printed the ball and mg bubble separately and with hindsight I should have printed them together as I couldn't get the ball in due to the rear retainer - I didn't really want to re-print as it would take another 2 hours just for these two parts so I simply and carefully cut the rear section partway, enough to bend and place the ball inside - this worked thankfully. The new MG bubble is a direct replacement to the old Asiatam bubble, it just slots in to the original hole.

Roof done with all the components in place, minus the new commanders cupola - I have also raised the ventilation by an extra 3mm. Both the loader's hatch and the ammunition ejector port are designed to open and close, I will be using 0.6mm copper wire on the hinges for this. Next i will be designing the periscopes to go with the commander's cupola.
overall final look
overall final look
DSC_0989.JPG (24.35 KiB) Viewed 2162 times
PatrickH
Recruit

Post by PatrickH »

With the roof nearly finished, I moved on to the rear exhaust cylinders - again not being happy with the Taigen's offering I designed my own along with the armoured guards.
new cylinders
new cylinders
exhaustc.jpg (81.02 KiB) Viewed 2160 times
rear cylinder in situ
rear cylinder in situ
DSC_0923.JPG (50.54 KiB) Viewed 2160 times
I had planned on curving out the dents with a drill but then I had an idea of using one of my favourite products
tesco tomato puree
tesco tomato puree
snapshotimagehandler_1419349611.jpg (46.04 KiB) Viewed 2160 times
That's right, the good old Tesco Tomato puree, I read about this from a fellow modeller years ago and I have been collecting the foil ever since. Very useful, very malleable, easy to use and sands really well. So I went back and tweaked the design once again to incorporate a 0.3mm indentation to accommodate the foil so it would sit flushed.
cylinder test
cylinder test
snip.JPG (36.13 KiB) Viewed 2160 times
Cut the foil to size, wrap it round and stuck on with superglue.
tomato puree foil
tomato puree foil
I have only done one of these, I have also applied resin to the edges of the foil, left to dry and then sanded to guarantee a perfect marriage of the two pieces. Next job on the list is to paint it and see what the result looks like.
jimbo_wa
Corporal

Post by jimbo_wa »

Great idea to use the puree foil - looks perfect!

Lovely work on the 3D design and printing too, really completes the details.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
SCHWEREPANZER
Sergeant

Post by SCHWEREPANZER »

What's the expression, "necessity is the mother of..." Very innovative work on those exhausts. Have never seen that product in the supermarkets around these parts, but you can bet the next time the wife sends me to the grocery store, I'll be looking it. I am anticipating a rather credulous look from her when I tell her its "for a tank I'm working on."

Do I spy a 3-D printed Kugelblende there in the background? Please tell us about that and how its fits into your JST...if that's what it's for.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Hi Patrick, I've been watching this with great interest and you're doing some amazing stuff, especially with the printer. I little over a year ago i bought a Wanhao D8 SLA printer but I never could get it to print right. Well, I got some small stuff to print well, like door handles for 1/10 trucks, but the main reason I bought it was to print tires, and I never could get them to print right. They'd sag or stretch or come out the wrong size, and I finally gave up and it's been a $1200 paperweight ever since. What you're doing here has me thinking maybe i should give it another try. What slicing software are you using? They recommend ChiTuBox for the D8, I suppose I should check around and see if anything new has come out. It's been more than a year since I touched it at all. So do you think you might be willing to give advice to someone like me? With computer stuff my hands have ten thumbs. :'(
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

Eleven thumbs lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PatrickH
Recruit

Post by PatrickH »

Thanks Jimbo, 3D printing is a great boon to our hobby =)

S.Panzer: I mostly do the cooking so i don't even need an excuse to stock up on tomato puree, also I have introduced spaghetti Wednesdays so yeah I'm pretty much set hehe. I just had a look on amazon usa and it does look like you have something similar over there though it surprised me that there are tubes of t. puree there from Waitrose - I thought Waitrose was exclusively a UK supermarket?!
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=tomato+puree ... _sb_noss_1

As for the kugelblende, or as i'd like to call it, MG bubble hehe it's quite simple really, the whole thing just slots into the existing hole, it's a direct replacement and I'm using an Aber MG with it as the quality is simply stunning
guny.jpg
guny.jpg (81.35 KiB) Viewed 2125 times
guny2.jpg
Max: I supported the Kudo Bean SLA printer during their KS campaign but when i finally received it and found out that they haven't included a slicer program and with the numerous reported problems I didn't even bothered setting it up and that was maybe a year ago - i still haven't used it, it's gathering dust in the garage now =(. But anyway, i was looking at the Wanhao D5 as 500 is the most i could afford really but when I found out about the ANycubic Photon and the amount of users on FB and support I found myself clicking on that BIN button ;). So is the D8 your first resin printer?

What resin are you using to print your tires? I mean I can try and help but I'm by no means an expert on this - as i mentioned before, i like the plug and play stuff and the photon has been like that for me. Feel free to PM me though and we can discuss what you are doing with your setting, etc.

I am using Chitubox as my main slicer program, it's easy to use and what's more - it's free =)

Midlife: cheers =)
PatrickH
Recruit

Post by PatrickH »

Just a short update as I'm waiting for parts still. But I started work on the rear deck and I wanted to replace them with these amazing parts from Hachette Tiger tank magazine, thanks to ebay I was able to secure Issues 16, 20, 21, 22, 23 and 41 for a complete rear upper engine deck - currently still waiting for Issue 41. But these pieces are amazing and the details so crisp thaht I simply must have them.
Hachette Magazines
Hachette Magazines
However, when i cut out the existing Taigen deck, i found that the Hachette pieces are larger by about 1-2mm. I really couldn't think of any way to make the two pieces fit without compromising one or the other. However, I heard that the Heng Long deck is a perfect match for the Hachette pieces so i quickly secured one from ebay - currently stil waiting for that ti arrive.
Hachette magazines engine deck
Hachette magazines engine deck
So that's where we're at - waiting.

Return to “Other Builds”