PHF 1/16 Jagdsturmtiger

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
PatrickH
Recruit

PHF 1/16 Jagdsturmtiger

Post by PatrickH »

Hi, I've been lurking for a while now and have seen so many great builds but I thought it was time for me to join in and share my current work. This was actually started years ago but I get very particular with how i do my work, at the time I only had access to an FDM printer and it was great at the beginning being new to 3D printing but have soon come to realize the limitations of FDM when it comes to fine details.

So a short background info, I hope, my idea was to build one of the fabled paper panzers, the Jagdsturmtiger - I have a soft spot for the Sturmtiger but the JST is unique and an interesting challenge. Having taken a major interest in 3D printing, I was able to create unique pieces for my build which is great and a great boon to my hobby - I designed, tested and produced loads of parts on my FDM printer (Tevo Tornado) but the detail and quality was lacking so the project was shelved.

Fast forward a few years later and with 3D printing becoming more affordable I was finally able to acquire the Anycubic Photon S during their Christmas sale 2019. The JST project was brought to life again and brought into the work bench in earnest.
IMG_20191224_212259_838.jpg
Here i shall hopefully document my designs/thoughts and build processes. In so doing, as I'm quite forgetful, this will become my reference for future builds.

To begin with, my first priority was the gun mantle and this went through several designs until i settled on this one, printed on my FDM and textured with MrSurfacer500
DSC_0803.JPG
DSC_0803.JPG (65.05 KiB) Viewed 2906 times
DSC_0791.JPG
DSC_0791.JPG (77.71 KiB) Viewed 2906 times
But I wasn't happy with it so I revisited the design and integrated the bolt holes, added the lift hook tab(after all, i reasoned, mantle this size should have one right!?) and added the cast numbers. This was designed in Fusion 360, my go to 3D program.
DSC_0783.JPG
DSC_0783.JPG (39.61 KiB) Viewed 2906 times
DSC_0799.JPG
DSC_0799.JPG (57.06 KiB) Viewed 2906 times
DSC_0806.JPG
DSC_0806.JPG (69.3 KiB) Viewed 2906 times
I've got loads more but I shall end this here for now and get back to it after the school run heh

BTW, I'm working on a Taigen lower hull and an Asiantam upper
Attachments
IMG_20191227_174942.jpg
IMG_20191227_174942.jpg (98.96 KiB) Viewed 2906 times
Last edited by PatrickH on Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: PF 1/16 Jagdsturmtiger

Post by midlife306 »

Bloody hell, welcome to the forum!
Cheers
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Re: PHF 1/16 Jagdsturmtiger

Post by ronnie42 »

Hi No ridges to be seen , is this the way forward. High quality finished parts, one question . Read up on the printer how is it in real life, cleaning safety etc . Review makes a big issue about the handling of the resin and cleaning etc ?
PatrickH
Recruit

Post by PatrickH »

thanks for the welcome Wayne, much appreciated. :)

ronnie42 wrote:Hi No ridges to be seen , is this the way forward. High quality finished parts, one question . Read up on the printer how is it in real life, cleaning safety etc . Review makes a big issue about the handling of the resin and cleaning etc ?
Ronnie, yup, def no print lines if that's what you mean!? it's something you will get from an FDM printer but not with an SLA, these are being printed between 0.04 - 0.08mm layers. I'm stil getting the hang of exposure times, settings etc and not to mention manual support placements but all of these make for an interesting project =)

As for a review of the Photon S, sadly I'm not into the technical aspects of anything - I'm just your general hobbyist who like their equipment to be 'plug and play' heh and from my personal experience of this machine - this was exactly what i was looking for. When i got it, i plugged it, leveled the plate using the paper method (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4G6ExEtk70), loaded the vat with resin, used my own USB stick with I believe was my Sturmtiger barrel design sliced on Chitubox software with auto support and clicked print on the printer. 2.5 hrs later, i had my first successful print =) I've been printing non-stop since, loading up past designs and replacing FDM printed parts on the JST with resin copies.

As with most things dealing with chemical, one has to take certain precautions and awareness. I have my Photon set up in a small studio in the house, I use Elegoo and Anycubic resins - they do smell a little but less so than having thinners in the room and the smell doesn't bother me - think i got used to it, don't even notice the smell now unless i lift the cover!? Now word is, touching the resin can be dangerous - one might have reactions to it - not quite sure but i use gloves and respirators when cleaning the prints and i clean in the bathroom as it's the closest place. So i have isopropyl alcohol (ISO) in two seal-able containers on a tray to catch any small spillages - i give the prints a quick wash and then finally in a hot soapy water wash prior to curing. Even with the respirator, the ISO smell is still quite strong so i make sure i keep the bathroom window open and closed door (otherwise the missus will complain heh) I'm on a look out for a more friendlier way of washing the prints and heard car screenwash might be a good alternative so i nipped down to the local Tesco and got me one of these
Tesco Screenwash for cleaning
Tesco Screenwash for cleaning
IMG_20200107_115951.jpg (22.05 KiB) Viewed 2861 times
I am yet to try it but i shall update as soon as i do. I currently have something printing so i might try it on that.

All in all though, do not let chemicals scare you - they are no different to using thinners and everything else we use in our hobbies that can be considered toxic. As long as you use safe practice and common sense, it will be fine and 3D printing is certainly a great addition to our hobby.
Last edited by PatrickH on Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
SCHWEREPANZER
Sergeant

Post by SCHWEREPANZER »

Hi PatrickH,

Welcome to the forum. I know you'll find this a friendly place, most receptive to the innovative technical processes you're already bringing in your very first post. And lovin' the subject build, a beast close to my heart as well despite it being a butt ugly beast. Will be avidly following your build report. That new mantlet is just superb.
SCHWEREPANZER
Sergeant

Post by SCHWEREPANZER »

BTW, I failed to ask...is that the Asiatam Sturmtiger I see in your initial pictures?
PatrickH
Recruit

Post by PatrickH »

thank you SCHWEREPANZER, and yes that is indeed an Asiatam Sturmtiger upper, can't quite remember where the hull came from as I believe I started this project back in 2015!? Most of the parts I need for this build have been stored in various places, more likely mixed in with various other projects that one often gets sidetracked to but they will all gradually be found and as i warm up to the build, hopefully we can get some sort of order going . At the moment however, most of the 3D design work have been done and I'm sure others will arise as I progress but baby steps, we will get there =)

Currently waiting for the roof part to finish printing, I had to slice it in two in order to fit onto my build plate.
JST roof detail render
JST roof detail render
DSC_0809.JPG (24.41 KiB) Viewed 2821 times
sliced roof render
sliced roof render
DSC_0813.JPG (17.65 KiB) Viewed 2821 times
9 hours print and at the 6hrs mark i noticed that there might be some issues due to the way I orientated the part - some slight shifting I think but i won't know for certain until the print has finished. Hopefully it can be salvaged. The other half of the roof i have already orientated vertically as opposed to a 25degrees slant in the hope of eliminating this potential problem.
sliced roof printing in progress
sliced roof printing in progress
DSC_0816.JPG (20.61 KiB) Viewed 2821 times
I am also creating the vent cover as an extra added detail - yet to be printed and probably will need to be reviewed and re-designed depending on the fit.
ST vent
ST vent
DSC_0810.JPG (29.91 KiB) Viewed 2821 times
ST vent cover
ST vent cover
DSC_0811.JPG (27.65 KiB) Viewed 2821 times
I have also decided to replace the provided Asiatam front bar - not quite sure what the proper term is for this!? but the original metal part lacks definition and as I am enjoying designing and printing, this got put into the mix.
left bar is the FDM printed copy, right side is the original part
left bar is the FDM printed copy, right side is the original part
IMG_1655.JPG (66.49 KiB) Viewed 2821 times
top grey part is the resin copy and the bottom blue bar is FDM printed for comparison
top grey part is the resin copy and the bottom blue bar is FDM printed for comparison
DSC_0796.JPG (46.23 KiB) Viewed 2821 times
I'm sure you would have noticed by now - there are and will be a lot of 3D printing as part of this blog heh It's a great novelty and I'm embracing it wholeheartedly - there will be some traditional model making in the future I can assure you but for now, I am busy creating replacement parts and parts unique to this build. Once I start putting things together - you can expect to see some actual modelling work, bear with me in the mean time. :D
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

What an excellent build. I've built one myself, this is one I will watch closely :clap:
Tanks alot.... :wave:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Glad you emerged from the shadows, Patrick :thumbup: This amounts to quite a sensational intro, especially for the increasing 3D throng! :D
A warm welcome.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
PatrickH
Recruit

Post by PatrickH »

c.rainford: Thanks, I have seen your build, some great processes you did on yours and a great result, I will be referring to your build as i progress to maybe steal some ideas hehe

Reccereg: Yes, I have been perusing the 3D section, lots of helpful advice there and it's great to see that more and more of us are turning to this great technology - I am still trying to convince a friend to get one but it's taking a while as he's an old relic and will take A LOT of convincing hehe

Return to “Other Builds”