As promised, blow by blow mega build Russian Xmas pressie

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

As promised, blow by blow mega build Russian Xmas pressie

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Okay, just couldn't ignore the beauty sat before me. Its Russian, 2nd World War and my real love when it comes to tanks. My two adult kids knew this and without letting on bought it for me. Enough. I won't do an opening box chapter 'cos you all know how to open a box and a box is a box is a box!

Stage 1, bag 1&2
Here we have the hull and suspension/track parts. I'll detail the hull first. Following the instructions you take two flat sections to make a ridged plate then add the illustrated bricks and add to the plate where shown. It goes on, and on etc but having watched again the Lego movie over Xmas we all know Master Builders don't follow instructions so here's the result of the first two bags, actually around 10 bags as Cobi follow the Tamiya bag principles, giving you the highly detailed hull.

Bag three takes you, brick by brick, through the construction of the turret and gun. This is the 85 model and has a big gun, so big it is fabricated from over 10 sections/parts. This is very useful if you need to do a three point turn in a narrow country lane as you can easily break the barrel down. Or rotate the turret.

We now cone to the mist complex part of the build - fitting the turret onto the hull. You need to ensure that the hull is in the upright position and that the turret is in the upright position so that the hulls male knob is able to enter the hulls open hole. No lubrication is necessary or, indeed, recommended as plastics can be ruined and permanently damaged by such thoughtless acts.

If all goes well things should appear as in photo 3.

Spectacular isn't it but... as 3D printer enthusiasts will know, any modular brick based constructions will leave you with tiled radiused surfaces rather than smooth ones so, if like me you are constantly seeking perfection (I'm on my twelth wife) you will want to take your new addition back to the workshop for its final finishing, painting, detailing, weathering and stuff.

After nearly half as long as it took me to build the complete machine l emerged with a model l could live with and feel proud of. It took 15kg of filler and six packs of various grades of wet n dry followed by 2 cans of primer, 3 or 4 top coats, several sets of decals and a few detail packs. It was then left out in the overnight frost and rain to weather. And viola! (Is that French or a musical instrument?) Any way, here it is!

I'm so please with it l've asked the kids to get me a Cobi Panther IV for my birthday where l hope to fill and sand it into a detailed replica of a Sunderland flying boat but that's a couple of months away so both l and you will have to patiently wait.

Now, back to my long suffering SU-100 ;)
ImageImageImage

Sent from my ASUS_T00G using Tapatalk
Last edited by General Jumbo01 on Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:41 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
General Jumbo01

Re: As promised, blow by blow mega build Russian Xmas pressi

Yeah, l know, the photos are a bit of a pick and mix but hey, what the hell, perfection takes work and I'm a lazy #^!*@ ;) :crazy:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

8O 8O Well, either your adult kids have a highly developed sense of humour (likely); or, they're trying to repatriate you to the short trouser years (also possible). :lolno: Maybe both. :wave:
Cheers, GJ :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
General Jumbo01

You see straight through me every time! Yes, its both my kids and me, but they know that with grandchildren gathering in number l have to get my Lego skills up to scratch. Preferred Mechano though ;)

l've never grown out of shorts! :thumbup:
Xiaoshan_Sailor
Sergeant

Post by Xiaoshan_Sailor »

LOL! Been there, just done that with the 61098 Cargo Train with my 4-1/2 year old over the weekend. I needed a stiff drink 5 hours in. :crazy:

Return to “Other Builds”