Taigen panzer iv kit.

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Von Mooflesaaa
Corporal

Re: Taigen panzer iv kit.

Post by Von Mooflesaaa »

I wasnt aware the bow mg could move. it looks to be a solid piece on my build, let me double check when I get home.
Taigen Metal Tiger
Taigen Metal Panzer IV
john1970
Corporal

Post by john1970 »

The bow machine gun doesn't move it does stick out quite a bit inside the hull where you put the volume control might be in the way.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

john1970 wrote:The bow machine gun doesn't move it does stick out quite a bit inside the hull where you put the volume control might be in the way.

Every Panzer 4 in my collection (Last Count 8 Complete of all types, 3 more in various stages of build) have fully mobile hull MGs in factory fitted ball mounts.
The only work they have received from me is paint on the barrel,
On a point of accuracy the Barrel on the hull mg34 fitted to the PZ4 in Heng Long and Taigen models are wrong as they use the infantry pierced barrel when they should have fitted the smooth Armoured barrel (Aber sell an armoured MG 34 barrel but it is solid so the LED ability is lost).
If yours does not work it probably has been inadvertently glued in position or trapped by the fitting of an oversize switch shelf.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
john1970
Corporal

Post by john1970 »

On the heng long hull the machine guns move on the new Taigen hull they dont

Von Mooflesaaa
Corporal

Post by Von Mooflesaaa »

Yep I have the new taigen hull without the movable mg mount.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
Taigen Metal Tiger
Taigen Metal Panzer IV
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

When the Normandy Tiger 1 build was still live on the Forum we were all shown how by using a child's plastic bead a static Hull Mg could be converted into a fully floating version,
Debond the hull MG from its mount and drill out the old mount,
Open out the hole in the bead to accept the gun barrel and carefully glue the barrel into the bead.
Offer up the unit to the hull mg position and then just glue a small piece of plasticard at the bottom and another at the top of the back of the bead trapping the bead in place DO NOT GET GLUE ON THE BEAD.
Job done. :thumbup:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Von Mooflesaaa
Corporal

Post by Von Mooflesaaa »

Well its been a minute since I worked on this. Now with winter closing back on in. Time to restart. Ive got the Atak zimmerit set on order. Fingers crossed that it fits. Ive also been working on removing the molded in tools and replacing the diamond tread with aftermarket photo etch. This is where we are at so far. ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-A115U using Tapatalk
Taigen Metal Tiger
Taigen Metal Panzer IV
Von Mooflesaaa
Corporal

Post by Von Mooflesaaa »

Well this has been a riveting good time. Added all the rivets to the tread plate that was removed. Next step is to do the same to the other side. Then start adding tools.ImageImage

Taigen Metal Tiger
Taigen Metal Panzer IV
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Glad to see you picking up the thread again!. The diamond tread looks amazing, and I also applaud the neatness of the interior and electronics.
Mypersonal bugbear with the Taigen Pz IV is the rear engine deck. It's level, but it should be sloped. Tamiya got it right, but Taigen somehow seem blind to this significant detail.

I took a razor saw to my StuG IV project, and put a few degrees of slope into the deck. Baldrick131 tackled the anomaly here:
viewtopic.php?f=207&t=29898

Others have had a bash too.
Still, it's possible to make a fine looking Pz IV without the modification but- it looks much better with it. :thumbup:
If you're interested, this is a pic I posted comparing the Tamiya and Taigen upper hulls, and revealing the slope issue. Tamiya at the top (where else :D ), and Taigen below.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Von Mooflesaaa
Corporal

Post by Von Mooflesaaa »

Thanks for the pic comparison. Hmmm I'll have to have a look see at how I can fix that part. Thank you for pointing it out. I'm really enjoying getting back into this build. Hopefully my zimmeret set will show up soon.

Taigen Metal Tiger
Taigen Metal Panzer IV

Return to “Other Builds”