Tiger 1 detailed build.

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Von Mooflesaaa
Corporal

Re: Tiger 1 detailed build.

Post by Von Mooflesaaa »

Wait. Did someone say rivets.....I'm now working on the turret bin. Sadly the kit is missing a lot of rivet detail. So I shall be adding these one at a time by hand....stay tuned to see how it all turns out. Image

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
Taigen Metal Tiger
Taigen Metal Panzer IV
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Holy smokes those look nice. Did you make those from scratch or use a commercial product? In model railroading I’ve seen rivet strips similar to decals with rivet bumps on them. Probably not made large enough for 1/16 scale tanks though.
Von Mooflesaaa
Corporal

Post by Von Mooflesaaa »

Made from scratch using my trusty punch and die set. Thank you for the kind words and support.
Taigen Metal Tiger
Taigen Metal Panzer IV
Von Mooflesaaa
Corporal

Post by Von Mooflesaaa »

Well that was a "riveting" idea. Remind me to not do that again. Not going to lie. My eyes hurt after doing all those rivets. Time for a well earned second beer.....Image

Taigen Metal Tiger
Taigen Metal Panzer IV
Wildboar44
Corporal

Post by Wildboar44 »

Nice touch there Sir. 8)
Yesterday is our history, Tomorrow is an eternal mistery, Today is a gift, its why its called "The Present".
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

When I was making up the Aber Front and Rear Hinged Fenders on a Tiger1 I backed the thin brass sheet with 1mm Plasticard then I used small dressmakers pins to simulate rivets,
I pin viced a hole through the brass sheet/plasticard ply combination for each "Rivet"then pushed the pin through,
When all of the faux rivets/Pins were in place I dripped a dot of superglue on the inside of the fenders to lock each of the pins in place,
When the glue had dried I snipped the balance of the pins off from the inside and the job was done.
I think we all have our own particular way of fitting rivets. o-
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Von Mooflesaaa
Corporal

Post by Von Mooflesaaa »

Great tip there Jarndice. So work continues on the turret bin. An oftern overlooked part if the turret is the rear lifting lug. Now on the taigen kit the rear lifting lug is present but sadly its completely wrong. Now joyfully I have the metal turret version of the kit. Which makes modifying it oh so much fun. What indid was snip if the metal lug. And graft on a resin replacement. Sounds easy. Turns out it wasn't. Not a lot of room and the metal was a bugger to trim down. Thankfully it's all done now and a massive improvement. I have also finished adding all the rivets to the bin. All in all, a happy chappie.
ImageImage

Taigen Metal Tiger
Taigen Metal Panzer IV
Von Mooflesaaa
Corporal

Post by Von Mooflesaaa »

Today has been an exercise in welding. Or pretending to weld anyway. What you guys think. Good? Crap? I've no idea. I usually only build plane models and weld lines are not usually present on those. Next step is the zimmerit on the gun mantle. Image

Taigen Metal Tiger
Taigen Metal Panzer IV
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

If you look at the faux welding around the base of your Taigen Panzer4 Cupola on the Turret you will get an idea of what Taigen think is acceptable :thumbup:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

You had me at rivets. It’s a painfull process.

Worse if you do what me and jarndice did. Use dress pins. You can only stab you thumb so many time cutting them before things go red
It’s your tank it’s what you make it

Return to “Other Builds”