Tiger 1 detailed build.

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Re: Tiger 1 detailed build.

Post by Jimster »

Wow, Jarndice. I just finished modifying my ariel holder but after reading this I realize I need to up my game and make a better one from scratch. Thanks once again.
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Does that allow you to use the full 360 rotation of the turret??
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

The spare aerial holder lies along the same part of the tank body as the moulded section,
The major differences are that it is elevated by about 2mm and instead of the leading edge of the tube being behind the aerial it starts approx 25mm in front of it and ends 5mm before the rear plate but as the holder is mounted on the outside of the aerial it is well clear of the turret as it turns.
It is not the most obvious part of a Tiger 1 but the photographs that show it make it clear it does not foul the turret and that it stands clear of the tank body.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Von Mooflesaaa
Corporal

Post by Von Mooflesaaa »

Do you happen to have any good pictures of this that you could post. I am not sure If I can complete the modification without destroying some of the work already done, it is now in a tricky place. Thanks for the heads up regarding the aerial tube.
Taigen Metal Tiger
Taigen Metal Panzer IV
Wildboar44
Corporal

Post by Wildboar44 »

jarndice wrote:I have a confession to make :shh:
For years I have been nagging new members of the Forum about the need to remove the excess Spare Aerial Holder from their Heng Long/Taigen Tiger 1s,
Well the truth is that leaving the correct aerial holder in place is a mistake if you value accuracy,
The real Tiger 1s spare aerial holder was elevated above the engine decking not resting on it.
I make the two "Cup" holders from 2mm Plasti-card off cuts and pin vice the holes for them in the edge of the tank body,
I cut a length of 2mm brass tube to size and mount that in the holders and with the little cap from the end of a ball point pen and a lick of paint it looks much better than the awful mess that it replaces.
Dam jarndice........ why did I read this :crazy: you just know the voice's are going to tell me to add that to my ever growing list ! 8)
Have you any pictures of one you have done ?
Yesterday is our history, Tomorrow is an eternal mistery, Today is a gift, its why its called "The Present".
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

Wildboar44 wrote:
jarndice wrote:I have a confession to make :shh:
For years I have been nagging new members of the Forum about the need to remove the excess Spare Aerial Holder from their Heng Long/Taigen Tiger 1s,
Well the truth is that leaving the correct aerial holder in place is a mistake if you value accuracy,
The real Tiger 1s spare aerial holder was elevated above the engine decking not resting on it.
I make the two "Cup" holders from 2mm Plasti-card off cuts and pin vice the holes for them in the edge of the tank body,
I cut a length of 2mm brass tube to size and mount that in the holders and with the little cap from the end of a ball point pen and a lick of paint it looks much better than the awful mess that it replaces.
Dam jarndice........ why did I read this :crazy: you just know the voice's are going to tell me to add that to my ever growing list ! 8)
Have you any pictures of one you have done ?
As you get to know jarndice better, you will learn that he never posts photos. :'(
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
Von Mooflesaaa
Corporal

Post by Von Mooflesaaa »

Dang it. Lol

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
Taigen Metal Tiger
Taigen Metal Panzer IV
Wildboar44
Corporal

Post by Wildboar44 »

Best I can offer on the aerial tube from my files
Early 1943 Tiger 1
Early 1943 Tiger 1
close up of that tube
close up of that tube
Yesterday is our history, Tomorrow is an eternal mistery, Today is a gift, its why its called "The Present".
Von Mooflesaaa
Corporal

Post by Von Mooflesaaa »

Perfect thank you, that might be something I could actually work on and fix on my project.
Taigen Metal Tiger
Taigen Metal Panzer IV
Von Mooflesaaa
Corporal

Post by Von Mooflesaaa »

Right snagged myself some brass sheet, time to have a play and try and build the rear exhaust shields. Shall keep you updated with progress when I get home tonight.
Taigen Metal Tiger
Taigen Metal Panzer IV

Return to “Other Builds”