TORRO Sturmtiger build

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: TORRO Sturmtiger build

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Well done "your Boss" :thumbup:
The IBU looks wonderful up there on the vertical plane.
Certainly is a marvel mate.
My favorite bit is the left-front guard & mudguard section. Nothing like brass to look like proper distressed metal on a model ;)
Thanks for pushing on with it
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
baldrick131
Lance Corporal

Post by baldrick131 »

I have made a few more bits for the sturmtiger.
To start with I need to mount the receiver out of the way so made this small holder for it that the receiver just pushes into and I can stick it anywhere with double sided tape.

I have also got to re position the daughter board as it will clash with the speaker box i am making so I made this simple bracket that too can be stuck anywhere with double sided tape.
This is my first speaker box to see if everything fits in place.
But there wasn't enough room under it to fit a nicad battery under it so I have re worked it to enable that with just slight mod to the hull by removing the daughter board mounting posts.
These servo mounting brackets were made to see if they held the 9G micro servos for when I get the barrel moving by them and were not really to use.
But they are a base model to modify to suite as and when I get further with the traverse mods here is the first one fitted as a trial but it may change as i discover issues or problems along the way.

I have uploaded some files to Thingiverse.
RC Sturmtiger switch bracket with mount for IBU2U Control board (from previous post) = https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4137620
10 Channel iBus Receiver Mounting Bracket = https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4137648
Heng Long - Torro Daughter circuit board mount = https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4137752
Mounting for 9G Micro Servo = https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4137659
As usual when I get the other bits done I will upload them too.
Last edited by baldrick131 on Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Von Mooflesaaa
Corporal

Post by Von Mooflesaaa »

Mate that looks stunning, love the work being displayed.
Taigen Metal Tiger
Taigen Metal Panzer IV
baldrick131
Lance Corporal

Post by baldrick131 »

Its been a slow progress on the Sturmtiger lately but I have done some stuff mainly on the speaker box as it was not quite right but after some jiggerypokery and threatening my 3D printer with a trip out the window I have finaly got it fitted.
It requires 3 holes to screw it down but it has cut outs to miss the rear catch mechanism and one of the original speaker mounting points it also allows the use of the standard stick battery to be fitted below it but this does mean the removal of the daughter board and its mounting points.
as you can see it allows the fitting of the tarrs smoke unit to be fitted I do not know if the original unit will fit as that went in the bin and i haven't tried it.
Its in 2 halves and requires gluing together (bumper repair epoxy is what I used)
I hope to get the parts for the gun traverse next its a matter of not getting distracted by other things but I have made a few pieces to get the ball rolling on it but they will need more work to get up and running.
I have uploaded it to Thingiverse - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4244152/files
The speaker I have used is here - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Visaton-FRS- ... 4902.l9144
Last edited by baldrick131 on Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wildboar44
Corporal

Post by Wildboar44 »

baldrick131 wrote:and threatening my 3D printer with a trip out the window
I did have a giggle reading this, perseverance is certainly a word well used in a Modeller’s vocabulary !. Excellent solutions and great build you have. Thank you for uploading.
Yesterday is our history, Tomorrow is an eternal mistery, Today is a gift, its why its called "The Present".
baldrick131
Lance Corporal

Post by baldrick131 »

Well seeing as this isolation milarky has separated me from my 3d printer and tank Hull meaning I cannot go any further with the traverse mechanism :think: .
I decided to have a go at getting the metal tracks painted.
I don't think they turned out to bad considering I've not used most of the stuff to do it before just watched lots of videos online and hoped for the best.
So it just shows I wasn't wasting my time glued to YouTube.
Now I'm a bit stuffed and can't do any more to it I will have to find another back burner project in the shed to do until I'm reunited with the 3d printer.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

I think they look great. Weathered tracks really give a tank character.
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Really like the attention to detail and the kindness you have displayed making and listing such excellent pieces for others in the hobby to use!

Incredible :thumbup:
Tanks alot.... :wave:
baldrick131
Lance Corporal

Post by baldrick131 »

I really have too much time on my hands so I decided to replicate the bought in bucket with a home made one just to see if I can.
Knocked up a flat pattern in Onshape and stuck it down at the dot end so I could lift the template to score some ribs in it before sticking the template down and cutting it out and rolling it round a tapered paint drush handle and soldiering it along the seam.
Then I pre tinned a small peice of brass before sitting the bucket on it top placing the tinned peice on the bottom with the solder touching the bucket pressing gently with a peice of wood heat the metal with a soldering iron and let cool before triming the excess.
Roll a small piece of copper wire to suit the top edge and solder on.
Make and solder on some small brackets make and fit a handle and now I have a dinky bucket.
It's thin enough to add small dings or dents in just need to know what colour it should be if anyone knows I would be grateful if you could let me know or point me in the right direction to find out.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I’m probably not the guy to ask!! :shifty:
Outstanding job on a vital component of any German tank build.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “Other Builds”