My take on tiger 131

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
s3mps81
Recruit

My take on tiger 131

Post by s3mps81 »

Newbie to this hobby, this is my first attempt at a 1/16 scale tiger tank. Not going for a exact replica of tiger 131 but my take on it.

Started at beginning of September.

By buying the lower hull, and early road wheels and metal mud flaps

ImageImageImage

This was going to be a slow process but in mean time took the chance to modify the feifel filters
ImageImageImageImageImage

Using the supplied filters and styrene to get the double barrel effect,

Next purchase

Metal tracks and upper hull

Now time for some painting started undercoating the smaller parts and lower hull

Then started on the stern of the, trying to get the effect on the exhaust using AK weathering pencils

Next purchase Taigen 5:1 gearbox, and drive wheel and sprockets painted and installed

ImageImage

Time to tackle to upper hull and turret, primed and top coated, moulded tools removed and metal tools and brackets installed

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Next painting the tools and install ImageImage

Next wanted to give the side skirts a bit of lift instead of straight

ImageImage

Next was to tackle the camo

ImageImageImage

Both lower and upper hull completed camo no pics of upper hull at that time

Then moved on to the wooded block

ImageImage

Wanted to give some damage to the tank trying different technics so this is my journey though that process

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Didn’t like the idea removing the pipes every time you wanted to charge the battery, modified this using magnets so able remove the filters when wanting to charge or remove upper hull

Now to wait to buy the tank electrics any recommendations welcome

Thanks for viewing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
s3mps81
Recruit

Re: My take on tiger 131

Post by s3mps81 »

More pics that didn’t upload ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

I can see you are enjoying this! There is a fair choice of electrics but I'd narrow them down by suggesting that you make sure you get the very latest versions of each manufacturer's offering as they are getting better and upgrading frequently.

IF you choose to keep a lid on the budget, the latest HengLong v6 multi function unit based system can be purchased separately or as part of a RTR tank, the Tiger 1 tank complete being available for under £90, just 25 or so more than the radio kit, so will give you some spares/options? BB or IR? Battle systems compatibility? Just a few more things to consider.

Sent from my ASUS_T00G using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

If you your intention was to emulate "131" then I hope you will forgive me for pointing out some of the differences that you need to incorporate.
"131" does not have headlights in any pictures of it,
The tow ropes are reversed ie Tow Loops over the engine bay,
The Tiger 1 only had one aerial stowage tube with the exception of the command tanks which had one across the rear panel,
The correct aerial stowage tube is the one on the right flank of the engine bay (Left & Right as from the drivers position looking forward),
The Gunners binocular sight on the main gun mantlet is flat on the early Tiger 1 and protrudes on the "later" Tiger 1 early,
"131" had a step welded to the bottom of the front spare track holder and a grab handle above on the front slope.
I am very impressed that you fixed the Early Feifal Air Cleaners, Not many people do.
But overall very nice.
Peddinghaus do a very nice wet slide decal set.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
s3mps81
Recruit

Post by s3mps81 »

General Jumbo01 wrote:I can see you are enjoying this! There is a fair choice of electrics but I'd narrow them down by suggesting that you make sure you get the very latest versions of each manufacturer's offering as they are getting better and upgrading frequently.

IF you choose to keep a lid on the budget, the latest HengLong v6 multi function unit based system can be purchased separately or as part of a RTR tank, the Tiger 1 tank complete being available for under £90, just 25 or so more than the radio kit, so will give you some spares/options? BB or IR? Battle systems compatibility? Just a few more things to consider.

Sent from my ASUS_T00G using Tapatalk
Thanks general jumbo01

Defiantly enjoying this scale,

BB option at the moment, budget as been around £100 a month, one side of me says save go for the Tk Clark option and the other side wants to get this rolling around the floor already.

s3mps81
Recruit

My take on tiger 131

Post by s3mps81 »

jarndice wrote:If you your intention was to emulate "131" then I hope you will forgive me for pointing out some of the differences that you need to incorporate.
"131" does not have headlights in any pictures of it,
The tow ropes are reversed ie Tow Loops over the engine bay,
The Tiger 1 only had one aerial stowage tube with the exception of the command tanks which had one across the rear panel,
The correct aerial stowage tube is the one on the right flank of the engine bay (Left & Right as from the drivers position looking forward),
The Gunners binocular sight on the main gun mantlet is flat on the early Tiger 1 and protrudes on the "later" Tiger 1 early,
"131" had a step welded to the bottom of the front spare track holder and a grab handle above on the front slope.
I am very impressed that you fixed the Early Feifal Air Cleaners, Not many people do.
But overall very nice.
Peddinghaus do a very nice wet slide decal set.
Hi Jarndice

Not at all, all advice welcomed, specially if it requires more tinkering.

The tow ropes i can fix, give me excuse to get ride of the plastic ones , the step and handle I can do, the aerial stowage tube I can do, ( I didn’t even now thats what they were),

The gunners binocular sight may be a challenge that may have to look into, not sure if brave enough to tackle that one,

Thanks for your kind words on the fiefal air filters they had to be changed which makes a big difference to the look at the back.

jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

There is a choice with the gunners binocular sight, A rare Tamiya Sprue from the Tiger 1 Early (Static)kit if you can find it (The sprue not the Kit :haha: ) has the correct mantlet, It also has the proper "feifal" Air Cleaners,
You have a Metal Turret I noticed which can be filed flat BUT !!! The metal is very thin and you will go through it so be prepared with some filler. Good luck :haha:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

I highly recommend a Clark board. I feel like my TK-40s and Flysky transmitter tripled my enjoyment level in my Tiger.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

A bold attempt at possibly the World's most famous WW2 veteran. :thumbup:
Here's a pic I took of 131's track guards/fenders. Apart from a couple of shrapnel scars, you'll see they're otherwise straight, with no visible evidence of distortion.
You've certainly made a praiseworthy attempt at 131's (barely) two-tone camo scheme. I'd guess many visitors to Bovington only see the base colour, but you've added that elusive secondary shade, and with the same subtle touch that the original has. :)
Tiger 131- view of left side and track guard
Tiger 131- view of left side and track guard
Clicking on the pic will ENLARGE it dramatically ;)
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
DavidByrden
Corporal

Post by DavidByrden »

jarndice wrote: The tow ropes are reversed ie Tow Loops over the engine bay,
Eh? What? There's nothing wrong with the tow ropes on his model !

David

Return to “Other Builds”