Hooben Elephant...

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
brizo58
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Hooben Elephant...

Post by brizo58 »

Hi everyone,
I have a question to ask!. I’ve just finished the hooben Elephant. I put a request in the wanted section for a HL Radio set. I got some reply's. But I thought I’d try one of my HL sets. Now this is where it’s gone west as it were. All connected the correct way!! But to move forward or backwards I have to use the right stick over to the right to go forward and to the left to go in reverse!!!!!!. I’ve tried all the different ways to plug in the motors but that doesn’t work!!. If I move the stick up or down the tank turns left and right 8O . So hopefully one of you very nice chaps can help me out????. Many thanks in advance gentlemen. Brian...
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Hooben Elephant...

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

A couple of questions that may seem silly, but can eliminate the obvious.
One, are you using the right controller, as in, the same version as the MFU? Sadly some Heng Long controllers look the same from different versions.
Two, have you had the controller apart at any time?

Also, have you taken these from a known working tank, or did you purchase this setup as is?
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
brizo58

Post by brizo58 »

Hi yep taken from a working tank all works as it should. It’s a HL 5.2 version.no not had it apart no need as working fine. Brian...oh just one other thing the hooben Elephant has rear gearbox’s the radio came from a front gearbox set up.........
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

It shouldn't make a 90 degree difference on the stick which end the boxes are, you'd expect 180 difference if you wired them wrong.
Heng Long controllers aren't programmable, they're all preset, I don't think even the latest controllers can be programmed like a fly sky etc. That's why I asked if it had been taken apart.

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
brizo58

Post by brizo58 »

Yep dose seam strange. I’ve been into RC for donkeys years now and there’s not many problems I can’t solve. But this I admit has me stumped. I think I’ll probably stick with my good old Tamiya tanks :) you know where you are with them. And I’ve never had any trouble with em....... Brian...
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Sorry I've not been any help.
And my questions were like an AA mans, where the customers say, "no, I didn't do a thing"

Well, one thing you can do when you eventually get your Heng Long setup for it, you can swap the wiring around in the hand set.

I'm quite the (probably foolishly) fan of Heng Longs, and I've never encountered or heard this one, doesn't make any sense, especially as the gearboxes are plugged directly into the board.

I even wonder if this could happen if a board went faulty :think:

Raminator

Post by Raminator »

I'd say the board's fine. If the tank is pivoting when you are trying to go forward, one of the motors is going forwards and the other is going backwards.

Try swapping the wires in one of the motor plugs, Brian. If the tank turns left when you try to go forward, swap the wires for the left motor; if it turns right, swap the wires for the right.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

This was just posted here;
2 out of 2 defective Henglong 5.3S gold label receivers? - RC Tank Warfare
viewtopic.php?f=79&t=27080
RenoirLV wrote:I'm happy to report that the new 5.3 gold label does indeed offer better handling at low speeds. Compared to the 5.3 silver label. At least this was my case. The other things are the same.
The usual problem with the drive stick was there too. It was going forward when the stick was pushed left. Awfully inconvenient. There was somebody here on the forum who mentioned it earlier. It is fixed by changing motor polarity. Not sure which way but try swapping connector pins around. It may even be the case that one is one way and the other is opposite. Anyway it works correctly after some attempts.
Although it doesn't make sense, it's worth a try if it has worked :think:

RenoirLV
Corporal

Post by RenoirLV »

Raminator wrote:I'd say the board's fine. If the tank is pivoting when you are trying to go forward, one of the motors is going forwards and the other is going backwards.

Try swapping the wires in one of the motor plugs, Brian. If the tank turns left when you try to go forward, swap the wires for the left motor; if it turns right, swap the wires for the right.
Exactly what I tried to tell. Only makes more sense. Image

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Started as a tank man.
2x early Tiger 1's made from parts of HL, Taigen, Mato and whatever I saw suitable.
Ural 4320 (~1/12)
WPL B36 Ural
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

RenoirLV wrote:Exactly what I tried to tell. Only makes more sense. Image
I meant the whole problem and its possible cure, not what you said, although. . . . ;)

Return to “Other Builds”