Panda Hobby Panzer 38(T)

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Re: Panda Hobby Panzer 38(T)

Post by silversurfer1947 »

Here is the offending piece in its final resting place. I managed to damge the paintwrk in the proces, but fortunately, I still have a lot to do in that repect. The photo has also revealed other areas that need attention. Those are real bolts holding it in place, though because of their position, they were trimmmed off and superglued.
IMG_20200112_112906.jpg
A word of warning for anyone who decides to make use of this Voyager package, and presumably any other from the same stable. The folding lines that are etched into a lot of the parts are very thin and consequently (as I found out) very weak. With this particular piece, I bent one fold slighty too far. I was very gentle and tried to bend it back into place and it snapped clean off. This happened to me with a previous piece as well. What you see was reinforced with a piece of 0.5mm plasticard and reattached with CA. In hind sight, I would probably have done just as well, if not better, using the original plastic kit piece. :/
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Not much to show though is have not been idle. I have mainly been working on details, which will only appear when the whole tank come together. I do have one major change to present however. It is starting to look a bit more tank like, with some wheels.
IMG_20200125_140031.jpg
I now need to concentrate on painting and try to get to grips with this modulation business. I also have a couple of crew members to get ready and some metal tracks to paint and weather.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Bravo now it's coming along
Tanks alot.... :wave:
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Having fitted the wheels, it seemed appropriate to try the tracks. I found my previous calculations left them short,so I had to fit 4 more links to each one. I think that gives them a total of 97 links each. They may still need further alteration. They did not look right, all bright and shiny so a need for some form of weathering screamed at me. Now my knowledge of track weathering is on the same level as my knowledge of modulation techniques i.e. it would struggle to fill a pin head. Nothing ventured, I thought. Initially, I tried using Aluminium Gun Blue, which did a lovely job on the steel track pins but only had a very slight effect on the actual track links. Obviously, the pewter metals did not react the same way. Better that nothing but in need of further treatment. I had in amongst my paints, pots of AK track wash and streaking grime. To cut a long story short, the tracks got coated. To be honest, I could not see any difference between the two paints. As a finishing touch, I lightly rubbed the tracks down with some fine wet and dry to remove the paint from the parts that would be in ground contact. This is how they ended up.
IMG_20200129_104014.jpg
As usual, constructive comments would be appreciated so I can learn from my mistakes. I shall be adding some dirt in due course.
Richard
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

Did you try AK track burnishing, it starts off black the turns to a dark greyish colour with a hint of green on Impact tracks. When you buy metal tracks wish they would tell you what metal/alloy its made from , then getting the correct burnishing fluid would be easy. Check the pins as mine clogged up and run rough until they eased off.
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Not heard of the AK burnishing. A bit late now, but I will keep it in mind if I ever have to do another set. I am guessing, but I think I might well have had the same problem as it obviously involves a chemical reaction which will differ between metals. I am 99% certain these are pewter. I will keep checking the pins - so far they seem OK, bu thanks for the heads up.
Richard
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Those of you who have been following my posts will know that I purchased the Aber machine gun set, hoping to be able to drill them out and fit fibre optic flash. This turned out to be way outside my level of ability. for the turret gun, I modified the plastic kit gun (see previously). However, I did use one of the Aber guns for the hull. I kept seeing it just sitting there doing nothing so I had an idea. This is what I have finished up with.
phpBB [video]

It wobbles about a bit, but I have never tried anything like this before and how no idea how to fix the linkage so it only move in a horizontal plane. It would have been fantastic if I could have got it fitted with the fibre optic as well, but I think this is better than nothing.
Richard
Von Mooflesaaa
Corporal

Post by Von Mooflesaaa »

I would be well chuffed with how that has turned out, watching that gun move was awesome, great job man.
Taigen Metal Tiger
Taigen Metal Panzer IV
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Kevin granum used to make a little board that would cause the machine gun to move randomly as you're driving the tank. I'll bet that would work perfect in this tank.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Max-U52 wrote:Kevin granum used to make a little board that would cause the machine gun to move randomly as you're driving the tank. I'll bet that would work perfect in this tank.
Is this it? http://rctanksaustralia.com/store/index ... ducts_id=4
Richard

Return to “Other Builds”