Panda Hobby Panzer 38(T)

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Re: Panda Hobby Panzer 38(T)

Post by silversurfer1947 »

A little more to report. It is very slow progress so far as photo etch is concerned. This is one tool assembly. How shall I describe the process of assembling the brackets and leather straps? Challenging, I think. It is not easy trying to thread brass straps through a minute buckle.
In my defence I would point out that what you see comprises 17 different pieces.
IMG_20191215_154148.jpg
I need to touch up and weather the "leather".

I have been doing other work, particularly on the smoke candle unit, but at present, it is very much work in progress. Photos will appear when it is in a more finished state.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
Von Mooflesaaa
Corporal

Post by Von Mooflesaaa »

Looking great, love the fine photo etch work you are doing, cannot wait to see the smoke candles all fully finished, your paint work displayed so far is incredible, then entire machine shall really look the part once done.
Taigen Metal Tiger
Taigen Metal Panzer IV
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

That hammer is really good , been watching this build.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

SS1947,
Keep the course, Doc! The best is yet to come ( as far as PE advancement goes ) Your work ( fun ) show here is awesome!
regards,
Painless
Attachments
PPSH closeup.jpg
PPSH closeup.jpg
...Here for the Dawn...
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Today, I have managed to get the jack strapped to the tool box after a fashion. The one problem I have found with the Voyager photo etch is that, so far, without exception, all the straps are far too long for the tools they are supposed to secure. I have done my best with them. If you don't get too close, I think they will pass muster.
IMG_20191216_153245.jpg
The flash has accentuated the mahogany brown I use to the weather the dark brown of the straps. It is not that bad in real life. I think (hope) I only have one more set of straps to do.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

I still have another pair of tools with securing straps to do, but I fancied a change. Two of the tools, the bolt cutters and the axe, are held in place by clamps rather than straps. Quite fiddly, but so much easier than the Aber clamps. I know they are not as accurate, but having battled with Aber clamps when I did my Tamiya Tiger, I am prepared to make the sacrifice.
IMG_20191217_150922.jpg
They do actually work
IMG_20191217_151159.jpg
but I think I may glue them in place once I am finished. They would be fine on a static model but I fear they would fall apart. A shame but better safe than sorry.
Richard
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

It has been a while but I was away from my model for some time over Christmas. I have not been idle since my return, though I appear to have little to show for it. Amongst other things I have been working on the turret machine gun. The RC kit contains an led attached to a length of fibre optic cable. The instructions are very simple. Cut the gun into 2 halves. Drill 1mm hole from both ends in both parts. Combine the 2 halves. Simples.

Probably if you have adequate modelling skills. Sadly I do not. I do not have a pillar drill, so had to drill each half using a pin vice and try to line the drill up by eye. Not a great success. I managed to go through the side of the gun in both sections. Eventually, I did manage to get a hole roughly through the centre. I have done what I can to repair the damage.

Originally, I had visions of fitting the gun with a miniature servo so it could sweep from side to side. However, as you can see from the photos, the turret is rather crowded already.
IMG_20200106_125327.jpg
IMG_20200106_125319.jpg
The gun is still able to move, but by hand only.
Richard
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Your attention to detail on what looks to be an extraordinarily finiky model is something to marvel at,
I will continue to watch with great interest,
As to pillar drills,
Some years ago I bought a Dremel Pillar drill stand and it was money well spent, It comes with a backing plate that allows the drill to be firmly locked in the vertical and at almost every other angle.
My only regret is that the base plate is not wider.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Soeren »

That is looking great. :thumbup:
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

I remember this with my build. Such a cramped space but once it comes to life it is really quite impressive.
Tanks alot.... :wave:

Return to “Other Builds”