New project Matilda 3/4

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Re: New project Matilda 3/4

Post by AlwynTurner »

There was an earlier question about filling the print level striations, and I have just received some Vallejo plastic putty which is amazing stuff, it is quite liquid but when dry it has filled in all the little channels in the turret - see the pics

It really is a pleasure to use although it does take quite a bit of sanding to get the right finish.

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Well having assembled the chassis, I now understand what 43rdRecceReg was referring to about springs and the suspension, the gearboxes weigh a TON. The springs I have are totally inadequate so now I have to find some MUCH stronger springs to make the suspension work.What fun! :crazy: :/

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

HOORAY the force is finally with me! :D :haha: I ordered some .5mm springs from a company who charged me a mint, only for them to send me some puny .4mm springs and then argue that noone else had complained! Finally I went back to my usual supplier who managed to find me some .8mm spring at a much cheaper price
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-35mm-OD-6m ... 2749.l2649

These guys always come through when I need supplies of odd springs

Anyway here is the result

See how this one tiny spring can support the gearbox weight! Then it compresses nicely to give spring suspension when needed - I'm chuffed to bits! :D :D
Nw I can get on and do the whole suspension.

midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

Quality job Alwyn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

top notch, you are a class leader Alwyn, keep up the great work
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
Von Mooflesaaa
Corporal

Post by Von Mooflesaaa »

Mighty impressive.
Taigen Metal Tiger
Taigen Metal Panzer IV
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Just one word, WOW.

Alwyn dear :D Would it be possible for me to have an upgraded barrel with the fiber inside pwetty pwees :wave:
And out of curiosity, would it be prudent to ask for a spare pair of sprockets?
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Thanks all for the good words. Mick certainly when I get to your build the barrel will have tube instead of brass bar so you can fit fiber optic and a spare set of sprockets won't be a problem. At the moment my man cave is primarily a set of packed up boxes in preparation for the house move so very little will happen on Matilda until I get moved, a log cabin purchased, and my man cave restored. :crazy: :D

AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Progress on the track return guides. The stupid Tamiya 1/35 model had return rollers but they were discontinued for rails before the Mk3/4 so I designed my own return rails.
Anyone wondering why progress has been slow, well it's because I have been busy packing my man cave

It's now mostly in boxes ready for the move, which will most probably be delayed by the plague! 8O :crazy:

As a result my workbench is now the cleanest and tidiest it has been for years

Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Getting along nicely Alwyn :thumbup:

Sorry, can't help it, I'm gonna ask a dumb question. Those track return rails, would they have been in use during the north African campaign?
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?

Return to “Other Builds”