Early Tiger I - Taigen Build

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: Early Tiger I - Taigen Build

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Yip that’s it, but being metal it won’t be easy. I’d recommend keeping it as is and ordering a plastic one.
Research your time slot against the Tiger features for that time . They are well documented.
Or, build it the way you want that makes you happy and that’s a good outcome too.
Thanks for the pictures.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Yes, this storage tube stays.
Screenshot_20190803-234222.jpg
This wrongly placed storage tube goes.
Screenshot_20190803-234304.jpg
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

I used a dremel rotary tool with a sanding drum followed by a flat needle file to remove mine. You will have a jagged hole to fill after you file the face flat. I used Tamiya putty to fill it in. It was wasn’t as much of a chore as I thought but be careful to maintain the curved contour around the barrel area. The result is worth the unique and seldom modeled modification.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

If I am seeing your picture correctly then you have already flattened the Gunners Binocular gunsight,
If you have then The Gun Mantlet that you are showing is good for an early Tiger 1 after that the only major changes to it was a reinforced mantlet in November 1942 with an enlarged protruding gunners binocular gunsight and in 1944 the gunners binocular gunsight was replaced by a monocular gunsight.
Your identification of the correct aerial stowage tube is right on the button. :thumbup:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
orntar
Private

Post by orntar »

Thanks all. Perhaps I will remove the hoop and foot hold. I know I can do what I want with my model, but making it inaccurate rubs me the wrong way.
-Nathan
Taigen Tiger I mid
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

[quote= "making it inaccurate rubs me the wrong way".[/quote]
And I suspect a few others :haha:
BUT Herman is right, It is your Tank and we will gladly answer your questions but nobody has the right to tell you how to build your Tank,
Trust me if you had seen some of General Alphas Tanks all of which were excellent and all of which did not conform to any Tank that took to the field in the slightest you would never again think twice about whose Tank it was :haha:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Did someone say Tiger 1 mantlet :D

Click on picture.
Attachments
57fa0738d5956_TigerMantletTypes.jpg.eb0b8d74cc3b4e32d979a0c8c50cab3b.jpg
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Don't panic Mick is stirring again, :crazy:
To all intents and purposes only "A" "F" "G" and "K" are relevant to the regular production "Henschel" Tiger 1 EarlyEarly /the Tiger 1 early / the Tiger 1 late/and very late.
The others are one offs or very limited edition Porsche turrets and a turret with Zimmerit.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Here’s my initial production Tiger mantlet. Take your time and you can do a much neater job than I did.
Attachments
10FCE25E-2E49-411A-B269-01B2845FEBCE.jpeg
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

There is of course the added delight that as the war went on, Tigers were damaged and sent back to the factory for repairs, or repaired in the field. An early Tiger that lasted through a few battles would have been refitted with parts from a later Tiger, rather than from a parts bin dedicated to the original version. Likewise, a late Tiger may also have been fitted with parts from an early Tiger if repaired in the field. :crazy:

In reality, no matter what you do, as long as you get the basics right, no one can say that yours is inaccurate...as long as you don't put a well known tank identification number on it, :D .
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1

Return to “Other Builds”