Early Tiger I - Taigen Build

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.

Postby orntar » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:48 pm

Hey everyone. I started my Taigen Tiger I model a few weeks ago, and I wanted to share my progress. It is the "Metal Edition" they call it.
It came in quite a large box for the size of the tank.

I started with the lower chassis, I think most everyone is familiar with Taigen/Heng Long suspension, so I didn't take a lot of pictures.

I did redo the the track holder and all the foot loop like the Tiger 131 has. I have seen this in other historic photos as well in the early Tiger I's
I also added the transmission housing blts, as my kit did not come with this detail part. Made of styrene and brass hardware.

I then moved on to the upper hull. I removed all the modled in tools i wanted to detail out.
I added the grab handle to match the foot loop.

I did the same with the rear plate. Removed the crank handle and filled some holes.

orntar
Private

Postby Jimster » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:53 pm

Looks like a great job so far. Are you modeling a particular tank or going freestyle?

Jimster
Corporal

Postby orntar » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:35 pm

Undecided so far. I will probably do my own thing.

orntar
Private

Postby jarndice » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:00 pm

Hi, As you have included the front step and grab handle you are pretty much committed to an early Tiger of the North African/Italian campaigns,
That of course is only if you are after accuracy, Its your Tank and you have to make that decision yourself,
Lots of detail differences are to be found on this variant in comparison with the slightly later Russian Campaign Tigers.
jarndice
Major

Postby orntar » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:15 pm

Thank you, I am going for an African campaign. (so far)

orntar
Private

Postby Max-U52 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:33 pm

It looks good so far. I like the fact that you're getting rid of those crummy molded in tools. I'll be watching with interest.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Postby jarndice » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:43 pm

Well the step was not fitted for very long, what was also to be seen with the front step would be reversed tow ropes in other words the ends of the tow ropes were over the engine bay and not near the front hatches,
There was no escape hatch on the turret instead there were two pistol ports. one on each side of the turret slightly forward of the stowage box,
All good so far but here comes the first problem,
The early "Feifal" air cleaners comprised of 4 separate drums, two on each side of the rear panel, each pair joined by a short hose, the later "Feifal" air cleaners were a pair of one piece elongated drums that you will have in the kit.
Speak nicely to someone with a 3D printer and they might make your air cleaners for you :thumbup:
jarndice
Major

Postby orntar » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:40 pm

Well, i certainly do not want to reverse the tow ropes. Maybe it wont be so accurate.

orntar
Private

Postby Jimster » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:01 pm

I thought the late August ‘42 Tiger action in Russia was their first use in combat? These Tiger projects can certainly lead you down the rabbit hole.

Jimster
Corporal

Postby Max-U52 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:08 pm

You're right, the first four tiger tanks to see combat were sent to Leningrad in August of 1942.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Postby orntar » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:29 pm

I got some parts in finally, and started on the tools and rear plate. From Voyager I gor the mid production detail set for detailing out the clamps and fixtures, of course I can't use it all for an early Tiger. From ECA I got a front hull blower, light conduit set, exhaust flip caps, and a an early Notect Convoy light. The later will be posted soon.

Here you can see the tool clamps, blower and conduit sets.

I then started on detailing the tools. I got a mato ,metal tool set from ebay, but it did not include the larger hammer and the pry bar was much too small.

So I made a new hammer and pry bar.

Fire extinguisher and crank bar.

Then onto the new jack, still need to make the foot. The glue is currently drying on that.

Look at this tiny pawl that is for the jack crank handle! Needless to say, I did not use it.
Last edited by orntar on Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

orntar
Private

Postby Jimster » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:34 pm

Nice wheat penny. Your details parts look nice I’ll definitely be following this build.

Jimster
Corporal

Postby Soeren » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:47 am

These PE sets add a lot of detail for a very resonate price. Have the Aber set for my Tiger but used the Voyager PE for the Panther, both good sets. Voyager is a bit thin materialise but seems to be easier to work with.
That small piece beside the penny should be the ratchet piece.
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Postby wibblywobbly » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:12 am

Will follow this thread, I have a Taigen Late version on the way that I got for bargain money on Ebay. I've done a few Tigers but like an idiot I sold the last one.

The steps were put on originally, but usually removed in Russia. They were a very handy way for Russian troops to climb onto the hull and stick mines on the turret, or throw grenades down the hatches. 8O
wibblywobbly
Major

Postby orntar » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:53 am

Thanks for the info wibblywobly. Maybe I should have left them off. but I like the look, and they are on.

Made some slow progress today. I put magnets in the air cleaners and pipes for easy removal. Read about it on this forum.
Here it is in action.

I plan on using the brass covers from voyager, so I cut up the plastic ones that came with the tank for reinforcement for the exhaust stacks. I plan on using cement and screws.

I put the tube thru the center and filled in the opening. Once painted and behind the cast cover and sheet metal protectors you wont see the extra plastic.

I added the ECA exhaust flappers.

Added lift lugs and texture to the cast covers.

orntar
Private

Postby Jimster » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:08 am

That’s looking great. Can’t wait to see it finished. But then again are they ever really finished?

Jimster
Corporal

Postby jarndice » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:58 am

The early Tigers did have flappers on the exhaust which were usually secured open unless "Fording" but the covers/caps came later.
jarndice
Major

Postby HERMAN BIX » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:47 pm

Nice work so for Mr Orntar, a Tiger build is really a trip down the 'rabbit hole' indeed.
many options and many variations of those options.
Your one with the earlier timeslot will need a flattened mantlet and driver binocular peep holes as well I think :crazy: , but those driver peep holes could be welded over too :shifty:
Thanks for pitching up & showing pictures, they are allegedly worth a thousand words. :thumbup:
HERMAN BIX
Major

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:12 pm

Hi Mr orntar, great stuff so far :clap: And thank you for sharing :thumbup:

I've just noticed something. When you removed the moulded on tools from the hull, you left the left hand (as seen from the back) aerial tube that wasn't on the real tanks in that place.
I'm really surprised Mr jarndice didn't point that out 8O
Son of a gun-ner
TOTM Admin

Postby orntar » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:28 pm

Thanks Jimster.

Jarndice, so they flappers are appropriate?

Herman Bix, this is the mantlet I have. It should not have the raised portion?

Son of a gunner, Good catch. I will remove one. I assume the storage is on the side where the aerial mounts?

orntar
Private

Next

Return to Other Builds