So today I bought this..

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: So today I bought this..

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

971wright wrote:Great bargain those gearboxes cost £20 then you have other parts which add up a good battery.plus the rest.

regards pete
Actually, those gearboxes look like the Taigen pro 4:1, although they are an earlier version than what's on offer now, possibly 35 quid at the time, over 40 now for a newer set.
So yeah, gearboxes alone, very much a bargain.

And yes, they look like they are Panther ones. Which should be ok in the jagd panther, although, for the jagd panther, they usually need a conversion like these ones.

Taigen 4:1 Pro Steel Gearbox Jagdpanther 380 Motors 18.000T + Conversion Kit
https://www.forgebeartanks.com/store/p5 ... __Kit.html
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
sinj
Recruit

Post by sinj »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:
971wright wrote:Great bargain those gearboxes cost £20 then you have other parts which add up a good battery.plus the rest.

regards pete
Actually, those gearboxes look like the Taigen pro 4:1, although they are an earlier version than what's on offer now, possibly 35 quid at the time, over 40 now for a newer set.
So yeah, gearboxes alone, very much a bargain.

And yes, they look like they are Panther ones. Which should be ok in the jagd panther, although, for the jagd panther, they usually need a conversion like these ones.

Oh brilliant, thanks for this info. I was going to shelve them and put original OEM gearboxes in. If they need a conversion that could possibly explain the bodge fitment/hacking of the hull.

John
HL Panther G
HL Jadgpanther
sinj
Recruit

Post by sinj »

Closer look at gearbox fitment.... or non fitment
Attachments
63B202FB-A17E-4194-9987-014A33AFE846.jpeg
63B202FB-A17E-4194-9987-014A33AFE846.jpeg (67.48 KiB) Viewed 1902 times
8AF1EA12-C96D-4D3C-88FC-502514EFB423.jpeg
8AF1EA12-C96D-4D3C-88FC-502514EFB423.jpeg (97.21 KiB) Viewed 1902 times
EC7CE571-2DA6-4B25-AE1D-3153DCB35105.jpeg
F3FCA5A7-948D-4F5F-8FAC-21C2D8C45790.jpeg
HL Panther G
HL Jadgpanther
sinj
Recruit

Post by sinj »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:

regards pete

Looking at the link, Pete, these look the same as the ones I have in my Panther and the metal lower hull. Ill see what base they have or how they fit.
Am I to think the JP base is different then from standard Panther? I’ll be home later today so I’ll find out.

John
HL Panther G
HL Jadgpanther
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

sinj wrote:Am I to think the JP base is different then from standard Panther? I’ll be home later today so I’ll find out.

John
John, if you look again in the link I gave you. Look at the second and third pictures, you will see a plate/bracket which is the conversion for the jagd panther. It's to hold and move the higher motor back and lower.
I'm not sure why it's needed, I'm guessing that the motor in the higher position may cause problems with the jagd Panthers upper hull fitting which doesn't apply to the standard panther. Could the higher motor get in the way of the gun innards (bb unit) when on high elevation?
Other than that extra motor bracket, these gear boxes should be the same as the ones for the Taigen panther with the lower hull metal base.

Mick.

Edit: I think Pete was more accurate with his gearbox valuation. The pro ones in the link have ball race bearings on all gear shafts. Although yours are the same boxes, they are the older version with bushes that the "pro" ones were produced to upgrade.

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
cashybai
Lance Corporal

Post by cashybai »

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=26068

There's a link to a good reference book in there, also look for kajero jagdpanther and tank craft jp books, all a good read
The addictions getting worse... Pantiger, WSN Tiger Mid, WSN T34....And now a Jagdpanther...HELP!!!
sinj
Recruit

Post by sinj »

cashybai wrote:viewtopic.php?f=22&t=26068

There's a link to a good reference book in there, also look for kajero jagdpanther and tank craft jp books, all a good read
Ooh nice thank you. I’ll look later. On shift now(although looking to make conversion bracket for motor/gearbox as it’s quiet ).
John
HL Panther G
HL Jadgpanther
sinj
Recruit

Post by sinj »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:
sinj wrote:Am I to think the JP base is different then from standard Panther? I’ll be home later today so I’ll find out.

John
John, if you look again in the link I gave you. Look at the second and third pictures, you will see a plate/bracket which is the conversion for the jagd panther. It's to hold and move the higher motor back and lower. .........
Mick.

Taking a closer look, I could see what you meant Mick. So I’ve made one( luckily a few quiet hours at work today), I’ll have to wait until I’m home at about 1900hrs to see if it fits.
Anyway here’s the process in pictures. Sorry for picture overload!
John
Attachments
2AC69308-9A29-42AC-AB48-B6AE09A95F4B.jpeg
Final fit making sure gears mesh nicely and not tightly.
Final fit making sure gears mesh nicely and not tightly.
59AF9CAE-440C-4B33-A611-2A0C31BA1A4E.jpeg
716F63E9-9F21-43B9-AB78-6D3FCA190F3D.jpeg
Trimmed excess for neatness and stop infringement of upper body
Trimmed excess for neatness and stop infringement of upper body
8EE0DB0E-D0BA-47B8-A250-0DFF21D41F4C.jpeg
8EE0DB0E-D0BA-47B8-A250-0DFF21D41F4C.jpeg (61.21 KiB) Viewed 1865 times
8964EA54-8FB4-4C55-B41C-EA7423B1A831.jpeg
8964EA54-8FB4-4C55-B41C-EA7423B1A831.jpeg (77.35 KiB) Viewed 1865 times
Rough template for motor. Giving room for movement
Rough template for motor. Giving room for movement
E8815330-6DE5-4DD1-BF4A-068DCAC52055.jpeg (91.01 KiB) Viewed 1865 times
HL Panther G
HL Jadgpanther
sinj
Recruit

Post by sinj »

Only final placement will tell if I’ve made this correctly.
Attachments
AB25F70D-FCA6-4ACF-BC73-DC8B688F9562.jpeg
HL Panther G
HL Jadgpanther
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

:clap: :clap: bravo sir :thumbup:

Now make it in steel ;)

With close inspection of the pro box, it looks like the top of the motor is inline with the top of the two screws that hold the bracket to the gearbox.

Sorry, got to say, if you have this bracket as a test piece, I really would consider making the final bracket out of steel. Under load when you get this beast rolling, that aluminium plate is more likely to flex, and the brass motor pinion will only need to be out of mesh a little for it to get damaged and strip.
Also I noticed the plate/bracket is slightly spaced off the gearbox, it would be better if you could get them tighter together, would make it more stable, and align the pinion more with the first driven gear.
You may have to do a little indent where one of the gear shaft bushes goes. Also I would use a minimum of 2mm thick steel.

Return to “Other Builds”