So today I bought this..

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
sinj
Recruit

So today I bought this..

Post by sinj »

Well my first post was going to be about my HL Panther G that I have been working on at a snails pace but instead I’ll start with my latest purchase.... this pretty sorry looking HL Jadgpanther. Mine for the grand sum of £20! Looks to have all the electronics under the hood but not controller.
Tracks and wheels I have left over from my Panther project so that’s a positive.
First thing is to strip the bodywork down and give it a coat of primer. Then I can see the bodywork better. I’ve been following Soeren superb build of his JP so I shall be reading through that again too.
I really am a very slow modeller not having made a kit since my early teens. I’m no craftsman in this department so please be kind.
I am a huge fan of tanks and have a good collection of books for reference even if - as in the case of my Panther- I don’t always keep things historically correct(camo wise).
Anyway here is the Jagdpanther straight out of the bag, as I’ve just bought it this afternoon.
Attachments
98013E4E-84E4-4235-BD2F-465EE9D2AEAA.jpeg
A93A8BCC-4D46-4A51-BFBA-2E4EAEF3B8F1.jpeg
F7F12213-A8FE-49A9-AF84-90910CAE52DB.jpeg
38998ED7-8645-4BEE-AC4A-41B94A79E7A4.jpeg
4FB84744-9024-4DB7-9DA8-787B1E5E788E.jpeg
HL Panther G
HL Jadgpanther
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: So today I bought this..

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Wow, great price, but definitely needs some TLC.

I'm guessing you like a challenge Mr sinj.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
sinj
Recruit

Post by sinj »

A challenge is right. Looking at the standards of work on here I think I’ll post photos of mine in the dark! It’s the mud effect that’s the challenge on this. Do I work around it or try and take it off?
HL Panther G
HL Jadgpanther
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Depends if you like it or not.
Especially as it's your model.

Now young man, lecture time. Forget how others do their builds, for every single top notch modeller, there is at least a hundred wishing they were better at what they do themselves, but still enjoy the hobby, and do better at it than they realise.

And this isn't the place/forum to have doubts or worry about your abilities :thumbup:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Black Knight
Lance Corporal

Post by Black Knight »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Depends if you like it or not.
Especially as it's your model.

Now young man, lecture time. Forget how others do their builds, for every single top notch modeller, there is at least a hundred wishing they were better at what they do themselves, but still enjoy the hobby, and do better at it than they realise.

And this isn't the place/forum to have doubts or worry about your abilities :thumbup:

Well said :clap: :clap: :clap:

I am definitely one of the hundred - but I still enjoy my tinkering/upgrading and fiddling. I have also come to reaslise that although my Challenger 2 is not historically/technically correct I still get a great sense of sattisfaction out of it :thumbup:
Always on the search for Bootneck-proof kit
sinj
Recruit

Post by sinj »

Hahaha thank you. I’m liking the young man part.
Of course your totally right. It’s about the passion and the learning. We can always learn and improve.
Ref the mud effect, I guess I’d rather it not be there, well on the upper body at least. Will look for ways to take it off if it’s possible I’ll see where this project takes me.
My Panther now has a metal chassis, wheels and tracks so I’ve some ‘spares’ I can use for The running gear. I’ll start looking on line too for tools and exhausts. Half the fun is in the research.
HL Panther G
HL Jadgpanther
sinj
Recruit

Post by sinj »

Black Knight you’ve summed it up. That’s how I feel about it.
HL Panther G
HL Jadgpanther
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I don't imagine it will be too hard to remove that ghastly 'mud' effect, and I think it does need to go. It looks as if the JP has been wading through waist-high crunchy peanut butter. After that, and a good rub down (the tank not you :D) , you can look forward to choosing any camo pattern that catches your fancy. There's no need to make it over-elaborate either. Whatever you do, the main driver here is to enjoy yourself.
£20? Dirt cheap- or cheap dirt? :) A bargain, anyway.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
sinj
Recruit

Post by sinj »

43rdRecceReg wrote:I don't imagine it will be too hard to remove that ghastly 'mud' effect, and I think it does need to go. It looks as if the JP has been wading through waist-high crunchy peanut butter. After that, and a good rub down (the tank not you :D) , you can look forward to choosing any camo pattern that catches your fancy. There's no need to make it over-elaborate either. Whatever you do, the main driver here is to enjoy yourself.
£20? Dirt cheap- or cheap dirt? :) A bargain, anyway.
Thank you I have to agree. The more I’ve been looking at it tonight the more I’m thinking it’s definitely going!
HL Panther G
HL Jadgpanther
sinj
Recruit

Post by sinj »

Today I’ve made a start on looking at what needs doing. Taking off what I need and what is serviceable. Obviously I’ve jumped the gun a bit and ordered a bucket- it’s a prerequisite- etched engine grills and also axel support bearings for my Panther(I need to start a post on that too ). All parts so far have been ordered from Forgebear whom I’ve found to be fast and very helpful with a question about a product.
The upper body now has essentially been stripped with only the gun hanging. Not sure why the previous owner had to cut up the gun surround but that’ll need to be repaired. I’ll use the JP at The Tank museum as a reference and photos I’ve taken of the running JP of the Weald Foundation as well as books that I have.
I mentioned previously that my Panther has a metal lower hull and wheels but it’s also just sunk in that I have a perfect lower hull and wheels. I’ll transpose the electronics over at a later date but I can shelve cleaning this ‘mud’ off and salvaging this hull. Phew. Leaves me with upper bodywork to deal with now.
Camo is effective against the carpet however!
Attachments
742E7C4D-FB8C-46D3-9408-EE7811430ECA.jpeg
7F348334-9F49-4F93-9487-5AF65A448607.jpeg
4D3A5D54-4772-4B8F-B10A-A8BCBBF785E6.jpeg
397293DF-4D2C-4EE3-836A-FE011A6ECA39.jpeg
A0B4FA53-E3CE-4692-AF43-BB4DD7F572FF.jpeg
A0B4FA53-E3CE-4692-AF43-BB4DD7F572FF.jpeg (88.39 KiB) Viewed 2522 times
55C99436-4001-41AE-B8B3-448EF8F87C53.jpeg
9BD97A0E-614E-49CC-80D8-DC6657873F31.jpeg
HL Panther G
HL Jadgpanther

Return to “Other Builds”