MT-LB, my very own TNEH!

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Lert
Sergeant

MT-LB, my very own TNEH!

Post by Lert »

So, most regulars here will remember Wibblywobbly's MT-LB thread. He has since put it up for sale, and I was lucky enough to be able to snatch it up. My very own TNEH! Yes!

What's a TNEH I hear you ask?

Why, a TNEH is that one thing that every modeler - nay, every collector - strives for. That one piece that has the potential of becoming the centerpiece of their collection; the envy of all other modelers. The TNEH is that legendary, almost mythical creature ....

The Thing Nobody Else Has.

(So, Wibbly, if you're reading this, please don't go mass-producing these, mmk?)

So, here some pictures of what Wibbly has created and deemed me worthy of possessing:

Looking good ... Here compared to my KV-2:

The MT-LB is almost as long, but so much more squat. It's a very compact vehicle. In fact, that was my first thought: 'Wow, this thing is compact'.

My second thought was 'Wow, this thing is solid'. I know Wibbly described it as 'rock solid' in his build thread, and he wasn't kidding! It feels more solid than equal size HL tanks, for sure.

In pieces:

Compact, rock solid and roomy!

This was also included in the package:

The Taigen set is the older type with the basic older RX-18 sound set, but it's nice to have a spare set of electronics lying around to test things with.

Overall, very happy! Very pleased. However, that said, there are some problems.

The gearboxes are also old plastic ones:

Functional, but I'll replace them with something sturdier. Not really a problem per se. This picture also shows the mechanism by which Wibbly has bolted the forward and rearward hull halves together. Very strong.

There's also a seam that needs attention.

Seam between the forward upper hull and the lower hull, most intrusively visible on the bow. However, some filing and sanding and filling will do the trick I'm sure.

Here a close-up of the nose:

There are horizontal lines across the nose, an artifact of the 3D printing process. Those will also need some attention and sanding / careful filing.

Here is the roof panel:

My heart sank when I looked at MT-LB pictures online and found out that the forward 60%-ish was the wrong way around. Compare with this blueprint:

However, the roof panel is just two panels separately printed and glued together on a piece of plasticard, so it'll be very easy to separate and turn the forward 60% the right way around.

The last issue is one that I knew beforehand, that Wibbly already addressed in his build thread. The tracks are Pz III / IV ones, with the single centerline guide horns. The real MT-LB had tracks with dual guide horns, towards the outside of the track. However, this is not really something that can be helped, as AFAIK there are no scale tracks available of the correct type, and these are at least functional and moderately close in design, so it'll just have to do. And, as stated before, I knew this going in.

I'm planning to build it like the version in the blueprint pictures above, so there'll be some more work to go - sanding off and scratchbuilding new hatches - they won't be opening so as long as it looks right it's good enough for me - scratchbuilding a turret, fortunately it's a very simple shape - scratchbuilding fenders, light fixtures, tools, towing cables, small hand-holds ....

All in all nothing very difficult to do, but this project will keep me busy for a while to come. Very happy with my purchase!
JagdPanther / Leopard 2A6 / StuG Ausf. G / KV-2 / M4A3A4 / MTLB / 2.5 ton truck 6x6
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: MT-LB, my very own TNEH!

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Very interesting, Lert. :) I've often wondered how accurate some of the blueprints are. It's easy to assume that these must be the ones the manufacturers worked from; and yet many of the WW2 tank schematics I've referred to lately are all largely the work of one Dr Dan Saranga. :think: I don't think he was around in the 1930s and 40s in Germany, the US and Britain, which leads one to wonder what he used for source material.
Nothing beats visiting a Museum with a tape measure and camera. The only problem is, most museum staff don't let you get fully 'hands on' with their precious charges. :|
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Lert
Sergeant

Post by Lert »

43rdRecceReg wrote:Very interesting, Lert. :) I've often wondered how accurate some of the blueprints are.
That's the problem, yes. But if you cross reference different blueprints with online photographs you can get very close to the actual dimensions and design. But then you run in to different variations with different details, which complicates matters again.
43rdRecceReg wrote:Nothing beats visiting a Museum with a tape measure and camera. The only problem is, most museum staff don't let you get fully 'hands on' with their precious charges. :|
That, and there's no museum nearby with an MT-LB in their collection.

Still, it promises to be a fun project, and I'm looking forward to getting stuck in. First thing on the list, remove the paint and sand the forward hatches and windows down to re-do them in a slightly different design, according to that blueprint.
JagdPanther / Leopard 2A6 / StuG Ausf. G / KV-2 / M4A3A4 / MTLB / 2.5 ton truck 6x6
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

What makes me smile is how happy someone's hard work has made someone else! Nice to see it has found such appreciation in your collection :clap:
Tanks alot.... :wave:
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Very nice project! If you’re on Facebook lars Fischer has done an NVA one, might give some ideas for detailing
Lert
Sergeant

Post by Lert »

Depression has been kicking my ass, so I've done very little work on my TLEH.

I took it to work and sandblasted the upper hull and roof panels with the softest grit.

The astute will notice that a piece of the roof seems missing. That's because I tried to sand the hatches off with a band sander, but the roof was too flimsy and got damaged, so I just cut it out. It will be very simple to cut a piece of styrene sheet to size and glue it in, then fill the seams, giving me a nice flat canvas to work with.

I also separated the roof pieces and used the band sander to get rid of most of the styrene sheet holding them together:

Here's the forward upper hull compared to the same piece on a 1/35 model of the MT-LB I got my hands on. There'll be some re-shaping involved to make the big one look like the small one but I can work with that.

Next step: making the roof and scratchbuilding the new hatches, turret ring, etc. I got a 1/35 MT-LB so I can get some rough measurements to base my scratchbuilding on.
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

Hope you're doing well, Lert. Sometimes just going through the motion of sitting down at your bench at picking stuff up can be enough to kick-start some enthusiasm and act as a bit of distraction.

The MT-LB's a really cool machine, the Soviets had (and I guess the Russians have) an endless number of variants on the chassis, there are all kinds of cool things you can do from here. Are you planning on keeping it as a troop carrier, or did you have something more esoteric in mind?
Lert
Sergeant

Post by Lert »

Raminator wrote:Are you planning on keeping it as a troop carrier, or did you have something more esoteric in mind?
Not sure yet. Depression has been kicking my ass of late so the build is on hold. I found some inaccuracies in the model so I basically am going to scratch built the entire roof section and parts of the walls. Need some tools first though. Also, I've never done a scratchbuild job on this scale, not even close. So that's a bit daunting as well, to say the least.

It's slow going, but I'll get there.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi, as an alternative for the Pz3 tracks, you might want to check moaihobby.com for 1/24 hard track plastic VS Sherman tracks in 1/24 scale. They are the only vendor I know that have some in stock and provided fast service. Two sets would be needed. I used these for the BMP-1 and they run very well and are solid. They have the side pins and look closer to the Russian tracks. Our friend Locb13 has developed a 3D sprocket for these for his BMP and can send you his 3D specs I am sure.

Return to “Other Builds”