Comet A34- Ludwig kit

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Comet A34- Ludwig kit

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Jimster wrote:Great progress photos and that smoke looks awesome! You're definitely putting good effort into it.
:haha: :haha: Thanks, Jim. That sounds a bit like an end-of-term (or Semester, in your case) school report!. :lolno: Time for a Glenlivet, I think, my friend :thumbup:
Hmmmm...(Mr Magoo impression)..now where did I leave that glass?...hmm
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Well, I've just corrected the 'oversight' at the rear of the engine deck: two slots have been cut into the rear plate, to allow it to pass over the smoker pipes. It now sits flush on the lower hull, as it should.
I've also tightened up the grub screws on the Henntec arms. That's the outer one here:
The shaft is knurled from the arm inwards, and really shouldn't slip; but flats would probably work better.
The problem is actually with the right-hand track. I makes one complete turn (amounting to a couple of feet on the floor) and then sticks on the sprocket. :problem: of course, the sprockets have already gone through several revolutions before that juncture, and so it's not a problem with the sprocket. There must be some defect on one of the metal segments in the track. The left hand side runs smoothly. I'll have to mark the spot on the RH track. where it jams, remove it for inspection. Looks like a spot of filing might be needed. Otherwise- movement would be perfect (Spin, turn, creep etc.. Then Jam; yes, it does that perfectly too. :/ :D ).

Other than that, the turret traverse is excellent, and elevation's fine too ( a bit more travel would be nice, but it works well). The only other issue is the servo recoil.
It doesn't recoil. So I must test the servo, and then find out whether it's actually getting a signal from the MFU.
there are no instructions for the servo, except those which deal with the smoking barrel option. In those, the servo cable goes into ch 7 (servo recoil) and the microswitch cable appears to go into the smoke heater ch. Whereas I put it in the CN 6: Trigger plug- as that has a microswitch in the diagram. More on that later.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

The problem and solution to the sticking right-hand track: a protuberant trackpin. :/ pushed back into position with water pump pliers (ideal for pushing pins in because the extendable jaws remain parallel-pretty much).
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Here's an interesting video highlighting the performance of the HL TK 6.1s MFU, that's now resident in The Comet, and its impressive array of future-proof features (smoking illuminated barrel, Wi-Fi, PFV and so on). It makes the point about the unit's capabilities better than I can, despite the Chinese pictograms ;)
phpBB [video]

...and here, in spite of the pictograms, you'll find useful photos of the bits needed to install an FPV unit:
https://cafe.naver.com/dangjinmiso/2014
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

While I have the HL wiring and Transmitter diags to hand, I thought I might as well post them here, even though they appear elsewhere.
This is the only one available with the new HL servo-based recoil unit. This is the one you'll find in the Abrams, and is likely to appear in more HL iterations of the future, i expect.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

These are the other latest bits of relevant info:
TK6./TK6.1s addenda:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

As the Comet now has a machine gun sound (four possible sounds, in fact), I thought it prudent to add an MG. The thing is, the pre-wired 30cal Taigen/HL guns just don't look anything like the Besa 7.92mm fitted to the Comet and Cromwell. So...I decided to make a FrankenMG from a 30cal unit; sawn-off to accommodate an Aber MG 34 barrel; muzzle brake from the 30cal, and some fibre-optic cable.
It works!. All I need to do now is paint over the exposed barrel, ( and the light escaping from it), and then paint the exposed muzzle. The fibre optic also needs a wee snip...
The bits needed (not including the JB weld- metal ed., used to bond the bits together and the junior hacksaw):
Sawn off 30 cal with MG 34 barrel added
Ersatz Besa 7.92mm:

testing for desired red glow:
One working MG's enough for me, but doubtless some intrepid OCD modeller would add some light to the co-axial gun as well. ;) :D I'm not that guy... :wave:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Ah, as an afterthough, it occurred to me that any wishing to undertake a build such as this (do think twice :think: :lolno: ) might be interested in how I routed the wiring past the menacing-looking metal turret ring, and its gnashing teeth 8O :
:wave:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Here, at last, is the long (un)awaited video of the Comet's proving trials. I managed to get the recoil working by adding a jumper to Ch6 (normally the microswitch input)
As per a suggestion by, Lee, I think back in December, it's also possible to use a white LED in the barrel (connected to LED 1- 'Launch Flashing Light') to simulate a gun flash. That'll be for another time. There are still some basic tweaks needed, but everything looks good so far. Now, it's time to repair that absurdly fragile gunsight again... :/
phpBB [video]
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Will need a tutorial on that jumper in cn6 please mate, I have a similar task to put one in a StuG
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “Other Builds”