Comet A34- Ludwig kit

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Comet A34- Ludwig kit

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Some relevant stuff on WW2 British AFV radios, and aerial bases:
This site is for died-in-the-wool WW2 radio transmitter nuts/ collectors: http://www.royalsignals.org.uk You could spend a lifetime clicking on all the links in the 'signals website. :crazy:
Larkspur Aerial
Larkspur Aerial
Larkspur vehicle antenna.jpg (36.93 KiB) Viewed 2519 times
Here 'Claus Suslowicz' (possibly his right name) gives an interesting insight into how the aerial base acquired a 'halo' (protective frame) later in the War.
http://hmvf.co.uk/topic/16066-ws19-antenna-lengths/

On this website, you can actually buy the ubiquitous WW2 type 19 British radio (still in use up until the 1960s)
Type 19 Radio
Type 19 Radio
wireless-set-19-160x160.jpg (30.58 KiB) Viewed 2519 times
https://store.cbeagle.co.uk/wireless-set-19
In fact, there's enough stuff here - even American- to make any re-enactor's dreams come true; and to finally send that long-suffering partner oot the door permanently, or down to the local off-licence. :lolno: :D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
enginepeter
Private

Post by enginepeter »

Here are the antenna photos that might help.

Peter
Attachments
aerial2.jpg
aerial2.jpg (48.02 KiB) Viewed 2490 times
aerial.jpg
aerial.jpg (45.49 KiB) Viewed 2490 times
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

enginepeter wrote:Here are the antenna photos that might help.

Peter
Fantastic! Did you actually buy one to act as a sort of artist's maquette :O ? If so, then that's dedication above and beyond the call of duty (sanity too... :D ).

Edit: I was absent from the Forum for much of last year, and so I missed your Cromwell build completely. I only discovered it recently, and was mightily impressed :thumbup: I'm also envious of the advanced engineering kit (lathe etc.) that I have no access too. I have used Lathes, milling machines, and even forges in the past (Engineering in school, where I build a simple steam engine out of brass); but the best I can muster for metal parts these days would be tin snips, and a soldering iron. :| Worse still, working at PE level- with my hands and aged eyesight- is becoming one of the feats that even Hercules couldn't tackle. :D
It's a pity that the pics you posted there, in the Cromwell thread, were so small. Your handiwork would certainly lend itself to greater appreciation, if the photos were considerably more detailed detailed. (Up to 351K)
Perhaps you'd like to post a photo of your own aerial base here. You couldn't find a more relevant location. :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
enginepeter
Private

Post by enginepeter »

Sorry - did not purchase it - just found it for sale and then lifted the pics. I used to do this when restoring antique engines from USA as I was too tight to buy the parts and ship them from the states - I used to make them. Engines now too heavy to lift and machine now so found tanks (1/16) a little smaller. Holding and turning spanners also started to prove difficult.

Just looked at the Cromwell aerial - a little battered at present. Will need to make another one for the Black Prince so could try and get round to it early. Not a lot to show in the build yet and have just ordered some alloy plate having finalised a rough plan. Decided not to follow the readily available line drawing as noticed an error with the suspension against my Bovington photos.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

enginepeter wrote:Sorry - did not purchase it - just found it for sale and then lifted the pics. I used to do this when restoring antique engines from USA as I was too tight to buy the parts and ship them from the states - I used to make them. Engines now too heavy to lift and machine now so found tanks (1/16) a little smaller. Holding and turning spanners also started to prove difficult.

Just looked at the Cromwell aerial - a little battered at present. Will need to make another one for the Black Prince so could try and get round to it early. Not a lot to show in the build yet and have just ordered some alloy plate having finalised a rough plan. Decided not to follow the readily available line drawing as noticed an error with the suspension against my Bovington photos.
:D I see that the base was made by Wylex. The consumer unit in my last house was made by them but, like Crabtree and others, this company has now been swallowed up by Siemens via its former owner, Electrium.
I'm waiting for some ultra-thin brass sheet to appear from- (where else?)- China, currently. It's needed for tool clamps, and other fittings (even the aerial base). After five weeks, it's still not here.
I shall have to look elsewhere. This site looks ok:
https://modelshop.co.uk/Shop/Item/Brass ... k4/ITM1047 . Has anyone used this outlet, and can they recommend it?
enginepeter
Private

Post by enginepeter »

If you are looking for thin brass - try Ebay - 'brass shim'. not cheap but thats where I get mine from.

You have got me thinking about the aerial base and have several ideas to try out. Give me a few days before trying Shapeways.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

..a tiny update. This will be the Comet's gunsight. It's the same as the one on my Cromwell. I'll have to make a support bracket for this one. On the Cromwell, the sight is level with the Commander's cupola, but on the Comet the revised cupola was somewhat taller (to allow for the new vision blocks), and thus the sight needs to be raised up accordingly. To match the increase.
Comet gunsight
Comet gunsight
The catches on the Comet loader's hatch are different to the ones on the Cromwell: they oriented in a vertical position. I scratch- built them
Comet hatch catches and gunsight
Comet hatch catches and gunsight
Here, you can see the catches, and the bracket that supports the gunsight (which somebody's obviously purloined :/ ...) I'll look for it on eBay
Comet gunsight bracket and catches for loader's hatch
Comet gunsight bracket and catches for loader's hatch
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

When I was a boy :crazy: One of my school friends and his brother were studying for their WT Licence which was a requirement before you could operate an amateur (Ham) radio,
Their father was an ex RAF Bomber Command Radio Operator and managed to "Obtain" a Heavy Bomber HF Radio,
I would marvel at this piece of high tech (It was the early 50s :haha: ) with its big lemon yellow and red tuning knobs and dials,
Later in the service I would find myself operating C11 and C13 HF radios as well as the C42 and C47 VHF radios, But they were all a boring olive green, the only thing colourful was my language when an electrical storm would interfere with my signals. :lolno:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

jarndice wrote:When I was a boy :crazy: One of my school friends and his brother were studying for their WT Licence which was a requirement before you could operate an amateur (Ham) radio,
Their father was an ex RAF Bomber Command Radio Operator and managed to "Obtain" a Heavy Bomber HF Radio,
I would marvel at this piece of high tech (It was the early 50s :haha: ) with its big lemon yellow and red tuning knobs and dials,
Later in the service I would find myself operating C11 and C13 HF radios as well as the C42 and C47 VHF radios, But they were all a boring olive green, the only thing colourful was my language when an electrical storm would interfere with my signals. :lolno:
:D When your peepers have their 100,000 mile service and MOT, I'd heartily recommend that you use them- and some of your tank-time, writing your memoirs. :D Yes, Shaun, I am being serious. :D
All those snippets of experience, anecdotes, and recollections of (sadly) bygone decades would make excellent reading, and should be recorded for posterity (or posteriors- for critics :lolno: )
I'd certainly buy a copy, as long as it's not too pricey. I kiddeth thee not. :thumbup:
When I was at school in the 50s, almost all the kids I knew regularly swapped Iron Crosses, Reichmarks, GI stripes and much more. Swapping was the norm, and dads' souvenirs were the currency. at that time- as well as cigarette cards.
I had a WW2 Fighter pilot's helmet with RT earphones still in place.
Away from prying eyes, I'd talk to planes passing overhead with them. :shh: ...
Now I only commune with the leprechauns :lolno:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I started to assemble a version of the Mk 19 radio aerial base out of styrene plate and tube, before Enginepeter displayed his amazing expertise.
It was pretty much to scale. It began like this:
Radio aerial base
Radio aerial base
That's 1.3mm tube inserted into 3mm tube, mounted on 1.5mm styrene plate.
Then I added the four arms (1.5 mm styrene strips) at 90 deg intervals. So far- so...well, ok.
I made the 'halo' part of the radio mast's protective cage out of styrene strip. The idea was to bend the arms out, and bond the strips to the halo. Ok in principle..but the best laid plans, eh?
Comet-No 19 radio aerial base-B
Comet-No 19 radio aerial base-B
But bonding them required octopus fingers. In the end, it was all too fragile. :thumbdown:
Then these beauties arrived in the post from Peter himself (what an absolute gent, and genius!!)
Now, potentially I could have the first Quadrophonic Comet RT set in existence! :lolno:
No 19 Radio quadrophonic aerials...
No 19 Radio quadrophonic aerials...
Which to use, hmm? Well, the ones with turned brass would be the obvious choice, but the halo might be a tad weak. The others are PLA, I think, and perhaps not as fragile. We'll see.
Then I made a mount for the Commander's gunsight:
Comet-mount for Commander's gunsight
Comet-mount for Commander's gunsight
Taking photos of white objects seems to be a problem for my iPhone 8 +. It's hard to compensate for, post pic. Still, you get the idea.
Here's the unit mounted:
Commander's gunsight mounted
Commander's gunsight mounted
Finally, with generosity unbounded, Peter also supplied some fire extinguishers:
Comet-fire extinguishers.
Comet-fire extinguishers.
They'll come in very handy on the Cromwell :thumbup: This Forum attracts some amazingly creative, and generous, people. I only wish I could be one of them. :| :haha:

Return to “Other Builds”