Comet A34- Ludwig kit

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Comet A34- Ludwig kit

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Ad Lav wrote:Very smart! She’s taking shape very well. Good to see some more British armour.
Thanks, Adam! :wave: Yes,... but it's slow going. Still, I'd rather get all the detail basics as accurate as I can, than have to redo them later.
As the old saying goes, '..an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure'. I'll probably have to invest in some metal butterfly nuts, and other bits of brass, to get the tie-down straps for tools and the massive pry bars used on the tracks.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

The thing about semi-scratch building is that guidance is limited. You make the parameters and build plan up, as you go along. Experience counts for a lot, and helps one to develop a formula for assembling projects, whilst minimising those moments when it's necessary to reach for the consolatory Whisky. :lolno:
I've just installed the motors, for example, but forgot from the previous (and related) Cromwell build, that it's not possible to fit the sprockets when the motors are screwed into position. :/ Bummer. They'll have to come oot again.
Comet gearboxes
Comet gearboxes
These are the Taigen Premium type for the Jagdpanzer etc. Luckily, these are also a good fit for the Comet interior. The Heng Long units I tried wouldn't fit at all, and not even the most experienced contortionist would have levered them in there. That's part of the lesson-learning here: if you don't know what works (from guidance), you have to really on trial and error. The trick is not to make expensive errors.
That all said, because of the proximity of the electrical terminals on the motors (separated by only a couple of mms), I unscrewed the right-hand motor, and repositioned it at right angles to its original position. Luckily, there's more than one set of fixing positions on the casings of these gearboxes. :thumbup:
Comet upper hull and lower hull details
Comet upper hull and lower hull details
Comet rear hull details
Comet rear hull details
Comet front details- upper hull
Comet front details- upper hull
A coat of Humbrol SCC155 Olive Drab (Matt) serves to highlight the Features. After trying the MIG Olive Drab with my airbrush, and not getting the mix right, it was a relief to use the Humbrol rattle cans. They work as smoothly as the Tamiya ones, and represent better value for money. It's just such a pity that nobody has put British Olive Drab in a rattle can. :|
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good afternoon, Roy,
The tank is really coming along! The work on all the detail shows. Following along.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Many thanks, Painless. Glad your expert eyes are following the build. :thumbup: Yes, and there are already quite a few handmade parts in there, and I'm reasonably content with the results so far. As a reminder, the 'basic Ludwig kit' is just that: basic. It's up to the builder to contrive, or construct, the finer details. The few bits I got from Shapeways, have also helped to enhance the overall appearance. Finding the right adhesive was the only challenge there (bonding non-Styrene parts- to styrene).
Here's a pic of the final motor positions. When you buy these nicely made Premium Taigen motors/gearboxes, the +ive and -ive terminals of the respective motors are adjacent to one another and- depending on the width of the model, can end up perilously close together. As I wrote earlier, there are screw holes at right angles to the default position here, and I moved one of the motors to that position. The layout is now much safer, as you can see.
Click to ENLARGE these images.
Revised motor orientation-Comet gearboxes
Revised motor orientation-Comet gearboxes
Note too, that 3mm thick the base plate supplied with kit has predrilled holes for Heng Long StuG 111/Pz IV style motors. Here, it's necessary drill some new ones.
Now it's time for the sprockets. I sanded the burrs off them first of all, as the metal edges could possibly damage plastic, and even metal, tracks. Bedding the tracks in will be easier as a result.
Comet sprockets
Comet sprockets
Note that these sprockets don't have a flat edge on the inside to correspond with the flats machines on the output shafts. As with flatted sprockets, though, grub screws secure the sprocket to the shaft, and there's also a drilling in the centre to allow socket head screws to pass through into ends of the output shafts.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Just a few progress pics, to demonstate how much of the cosmetic work is complete. Fitting the wheels and aligning the rolling gear comes next. That can be a bit of a headache. Then I'll test the tracks in situ by putting 5Vdc though the motors to make sure both sides run unhindered. Doing that with an expensive MFU controller in place could, if the movement's too stiff, blow the unit. (Or a fuse, if it has one) :problem:
Comet progress-pic A
Comet progress-pic A
Comet progress-pic B
Comet progress-pic B
Comet progress-pic C
Comet progress-pic C
Comet progress-Pic D
Comet progress-Pic D
When all the painting (and moderate weathering) is complete, I'll add some transparent glass-lookalike segments to the periscopes, to simulate the prisms in them. It would be pointless at this stage, as making them off would be a pain. :think: :D
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

It's looking superb Roy :clap: :clap: :thumbup:

You have done the kit justice and more, this will be an enviable model.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:It's looking superb Roy :clap: :clap: :thumbup:

You have done the kit justice and more, this will be an enviable model.
Many thanks for the supporting comment, Mick :thumbup: Given the investment in moolah terms, and the significantly bigger investment in something even more precious for real oldies, namely: TIme-, it simply has to look good, and behave well. I may even put the TK 60 in it from the Cromwell, as that was programmed with Rolls-Royce Meteor sounds by our Nordic maestro, Stian. If that happens, the Cromwell will get another TK 60 at a later date. Possibly an Elmod.
Early in August, barring problems, I should be getting a Westie pup to keep dear old (ailing) Midgie company. Pups are sleep, and attention stealers- even more so than babies (and I've had experience of both) That being the case, the build will have to take a back seat for several weeks. Hopefully, I'll have a rolling chassis before then, however.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

You're welcome Roy 8)

Oh dear, you sure a pup is a good idea? Pups are usually a bit boisterous for an older not so well dog :think:

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:You're welcome Roy 8)

Oh dear, you sure a pup is a good idea? Pups are usually a bit boisterous for an older not so well dog :think:
Circumstances have forced me to think long term, Mick... :|
I have a friends' westie with me currently, to keep her distracted- and it helps. Pups are frisky-true- but a massive and good distraction. Also, ironically, Westie pups are hard to find in the West Highlands. Summer is also the best time for getting acquainted. These factors also come into play. On balance, now is the best time- just. :think: What's more, I'll have a friend staying for several weeks (she owns the other Westie), and that will help with the initial
canine nursery period... lack of sleep, and two hourly visits to the garden aka: Dogbog.) So.... que sera.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Oh, ok, you love a challenge ;) LOL

You watch out that it don't poop on that slope in your garden, don't want you discovering it the wrong way and slipping down and hurting your ankle again ;)

Return to “Other Builds”