Comet A34- Ludwig kit

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
c.rainford73
Major

Re: Comet A34- Ludwig kit

Post by c.rainford73 »

Roy this is really coming along, the turret looks spectacular :wave: Keep up the great work
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Great build thread again Roy, I'm sure this will help people out with their future builds, the one that you did for your Cromwell helped me out massively with my own build ( still ongoing :/ ) keep up the good work :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Many thanks, Painless (hope you enjoyed the cream cake :D ), Carl, and Lee. Yep, my view is that a build thread should be fairly detailed, and show errors as well as bits of inspiration so that others can avoid the same pitfalls, (or fall into them, if they're masochistic :haha: ) and share in the more positive outcomes. The same should apply to kit assembly instructions too... :problem:
Unfortunately, some of Christian's pics are a tad too blurry to reassure the builder that things are going as intended. Example: it's hard to tell whether some plates are bonded on top of others, or inside them (as with the Storage box), because of the joint lines are indistinct.
Luckily, I learned this from the Cromwell build. More than that, the manual stops dead- long before all the kit parts are fitted. Still..it's a good incentive for the builder to turn detective. :D
You will also find (should you go down the Comet track..and why not?) that there's no mention of where the return rollers and idler wheels are sourced from. My guess is that they're from the Panzer 111. We know from the parts list, that drive sprockets are based on the Panzer IV configuration, and so tracks for the Pz IV will fit and ought to work with the Pz 111 return rollers/ idlers so long as the general alignment is checked with a steel rule, before finally attempting to get the running gear rolling for the first time. Nobody wants a skewed drive train. 8O That could lock the motors, and blow the expensive MFU this pricey project definitely merits.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

For prospective builders, you should know that there's a chance that the bits you order may no longer be available in the format seen in Chris' online shop. As I said before, some parts have been improved.
However, when I ordered 'Pos o4' (77mm Cannon) here:
http://www.ludwigs-hobby-seite.de/Comet.html, I assumed I would be getting these bits and bobs 'Pos 01' Britisch Tank parts (sic):
http://www.ludwigs-hobby-seite.de/Briti ... Parts.html It's the same heading, and price, after all.
I expected these to arrive:
QQF 77mm cannon assembly
QQF 77mm cannon assembly
British tank parts- Pos 01 QQF Kanone.jpeg (59.29 KiB) Viewed 3214 times
What I got, however, was this:
I have pointed this out to him, but it appears that the bits I thought I would be getting have either been altered, or are not available. This means I don't even have the barrel support and pivot assembly (trunnion)
illustrated here:
Comet alloy gun tube and trunnion
Comet alloy gun tube and trunnion
Comet Mantlet parts pic B.jpeg (73.98 KiB) Viewed 3214 times
The plastic parts for the recoil are also missing from the kit. Examples of them are seen here:
Comet Mantlet parts and recoil assembly
Comet Mantlet parts and recoil assembly
Comet Mantlet parts-pic c.jpeg (62.81 KiB) Viewed 3214 times
This is all a bit of a muddle (Chris is a genius at designing and producing these kits...but, shall we say a little atypically disorganised, for a German, as a vendor selling them :D ).
Anyway, as it stands, I shall have to invent my own means of attaching the movable (elevating) part of the gun mantlet to the major fixed static part, whilst enabling it to pivot, and also enabling the barrel to slide.
Hmm...that's no small undertaking. :think: :/
For the moment, then, I'm going to move on to the Upper hull (Oberwanne). Before I do, I might just add a few bolt heads to the Turret...
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Some enthusiastic purists will buy, and fit, mini brass bolts for decorative purposes, and that authentic look. Glue on bolt heads are also available, but I make mine from hex styrene. All that's needed, is a sharp craft knife, a pair of tweezers, a steady hand and...well, something to catch the bits of cut hex as they tiddleywink their way across the room, and into the void. :lolno: I use mainly 1.5, 2, and 2.5mm hex styrene.
Here I've put some in place, along with a brace of lifting eyes. Ignore the bits of surplus glue and mess. All will be tidied up later with surfacer and more...
Unless bolts and screws are going to perform as bolts and screws that real ones are needed. If they are there purely for symbolic purposes, that hex can look just as good when :thumbup: primed and painted.
biertje
Private

Post by biertje »

Hi

I have the same problem here, also the barrel is a 17 pounder.

Ill try to print a correct barrel when I finally start working on the tank.

Greetings Tim
fear naught
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

43rdRecceReg wrote:Anyway, as it stands, I shall have to invent my own means of attaching the movable (elevating) part of the gun mantlet to the major fixed static part, whilst enabling it to pivot, and also enabling the barrel to slide.
Hi, You could put a Clark recoil unit and design the elevation around it.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

lmcq11 wrote:
43rdRecceReg wrote:Anyway, as it stands, I shall have to invent my own means of attaching the movable (elevating) part of the gun mantlet to the major fixed static part, whilst enabling it to pivot, and also enabling the barrel to slide.
Hi, You could put a Clark recoil unit and design the elevation around it.
Thanks, Tim and Louis.
Where there's a will, there's a way. It's just a question of finding it. :|
Louis, I used the Clark recoil unit on my (Ludwig) Cromwell project, and so that would be familiar territory. As for connecting the two parts of the Mantlet (Static and Elevating), I'm going to cut two vertical slots in the fixed section either side of the gun aperture, so that I can run two flat pieces of plate (styrene) through to bond with the elevating Mantlet. Then, I can drill the plates where they appear on the inside of the fixed section, so that a brass rod can be run through either side of the barrel, and fixed in place with the two resin retainers/ lugs provided with the kit. That should provide the pivot. Then a small portion of alloy tube/ or ABS tube
with an internal diameter of 12.6mm can be bonded into the outer elevating section to permit the barrel to recoil... Phew.. 8O ..well, that's the idea, and it should work.. :problem:
I could draw a plan out..but that would take more time than I have. :|
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Just to keep the project ticking over whilst I resolve the issue of missing parts, here's a start on the Upper Hull.
A further note of caution to prospective builders, some of the illustrations in Christian's instruction Pdf for the Comet, are actually of the Cromwell. Whilst the Comet was based on the Cromwell, some of the details are significantly different- the storage bins, for example, and the front glacis plate. :problem:

Anyway, a tip when assembling the main structural arts:
1. Ensure the surface you're working on is perfectly flat ( I use a steel rule to check the workspace)
2. Do use weights to stop the plates from flexing during bonding
3. A good set of metal set squares can help to ensure that vertical surfaces are just that- vertical (90deg..)
4. Use the ruler to ensure edges are straight too...
You really don't want any twists or bends (or swayback profiles >:< ) in this Hull; one of the most crucial of parts. All of this will be obvious to seasoned builders, but for those starting out..well, I hope they'll learn a little something from it. :thumbup:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Upper Hull sprue:
and razored down into constituent bits:
Starting at the front (remember to keep the side with the imprinted details facing down..) yeah yeah..but when you're tired, or on an amber nectar evening accidents can happen...
Do bear in mind, that some of the tasks may seem straightforward, but sooner or later something will crop up that you've missed, or things will end up inside out, or upside down. It can be very tricky.
Front section bonded in place, whilst the hull deck is held flat with weights.
Using steel rule to check workspace for level. Jigs don't come with kits; you have to improvise.

Return to “Other Builds”