Comet A34- Ludwig kit

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Comet A34- Ludwig kit

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Oh, ok, you love a challenge ;) LOL

You watch out that it don't poop on that slope in your garden, don't want you discovering it the wrong way and slipping down and hurting your ankle again ;)
Hmm..yes, well I don't shy away from challenges :D (but, I don't always welcome them). As for the dread slope, a severe double break of the ankle plus... (the icing on the plaster).. wait for it..full dislocation, was bad enough when skidding on frosted grass, but arriving in hospital smeared in puppy excrement wouldn't make me very popular there. Soooo..
Point taken Mick and, incidentally, there's clearly nothing wrong with your memory is there, old chap ;) :D
Now, back the (plastic) Future :wave:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Oh now Mr 43rd, it’s quite shameless to blame the poor puppy for being a distraction when you did slip “ friend staying for “ !!!!!!!
Nothing wrong with a wee bit of the ‘Highland Fling’ to keep your mind in the game now & then eh ;)

I love what you have achieved with this metamorphosis from white flat pack to running tank. Maybe I will switch back to Scotch whiskey from my Tennessee version and look for the skills to improve eh ?!!
Top job
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

HERMAN BIX wrote:Oh now Mr 43rd, it’s quite shameless to blame the poor puppy for being a distraction when you did slip “ friend staying for “ !!!!!!!
Nothing wrong with a wee bit of the ‘Highland Fling’ to keep your mind in the game now & then eh ;)

I love what you have achieved with this metamorphosis from white flat pack to running tank. Maybe I will switch back to Scotch whiskey from my Tennessee version and look for the skills to improve eh ?!!
Top job
:D As someone who has experienced a wee bit of ankle agony himself, you'll appreciate how keen I am to keep the 'fling' down to an elbow bonding action, so beloved of Whisky slurpers. :lolno: :lolno:
Thanks for the praise too, it really makes this weird, ritualistic, plastic-bonding practice seem to have a greater purpose than simply adding yet another tank to a space-- sapping collection :haha:
As for the Bourbon chugging, please note that in Scotland, 'Whiskey' is actually spelt as 'Whisky.' It's only in the US and Ireland where the 'Whiskey' spelling appears. They both mean 'water' ('Uisge') Hmm... but then water doesn't usually produce images of 'pink elephants' when abused. :lolno: :D 'Vodka' also means water, and this only goes to show how inveterate boozers have been deluding themselves, and others, over the centuries:- 'What's in that bottle?!' 'Well,.. burp....hic... ish only water...honesht..' :wave:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Before trying to fit the wheels, it's important with unique (not off the shelf) suspension arrangements, to check alignment as you progress. Once the rollers are in place, for instance, there's not a lot that can be done to adjust them, where there's a bit of movement possible in the sprockets and idlers. Ideally, the centre lines of the idlers and sprockets should match the rollers' centre line. Thereafter, the wheels can be made to line up with this default by using washers and spacers.
Crucial too, is ensuring that the centre line of the moving components, corresponding with the line the Track horns will sit in, and follow will allow the edges of the tracks to avoid contact with the hull walls, and the mudguards. Before I fitted the sprockets, everything seemed to line up nicely. Afterwards, the dynamic changed and I had to file 2mm off the inside of the rollers, and remove the washers I'd fitted in the idlers. Those were put there to reduce end play. The ruler now indicates the true line I was aiming for. The Cromwell is just there for size comparison. (The Comet should be wider and longer than the Cromwell. More of that later.)
:)

These are the nylon spacers I've used before, for the wheels. The wheels have twin bearings, but would actually rub against the hull sides if some sort of spacing provision on the axles isn't catered for. :problem:
So...if you happen to buy the kit with wheels, and arms, etc., don't assume that they're ready to go once assembled. They won't be. A long way from it, in fact. :think:
Nylon spacers for wheel axles.
Nylon spacers for wheel axles.
Comet- track horn centre line checking...
Comet- track horn centre line checking...
Now, I have a lady guest appearing tomorrow, who'll be staying quite a while....and so it's time to tidy up my manly pad, and stash the boy's toys away.. :wtf:
When I can sneak a minute in, without causing a social gaffe, I may have to borrow the Cromwell's nice Pz IV metal tracks to test the Comet, as they're hard (and expensive) to find online just now. The plastic ones
can go on the Crommie.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

First fitting for the wheels. I think I have the correct spacers, but fine-tuning can only be done when the tracks are in place..
Comet wheels-pic A
Comet wheels-pic A
Comet-wheels in place-B
Comet-wheels in place-B
Note: the upper hull is only sitting loosely on the lower hull. When pressed into place the gap between the storage box and the track guard disappears. :|
Comet wheels update-pic D
Comet wheels update-pic D

Updates will be fairly rare for next few weeks...
After getting the drivetrain to run properly, (fine tweaks), the next challenge will be fitting the mantlet somehow, along the turret ring, and its drive motor...as well as the gun. Thereafter, it will be thinking about the servos (or other options) for elevation and recoil. I've yet to decide what's best. :problem: . :think: :D :wave:
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning, Roy!
I've got tanks with all three types of main gun, BB\Non-recoil..Recoil\No flash and Recoil\Flash. Out of the three, the recoil, bright flash and crack of the sound effect are the most exciting ones. This is just my humble two cents, Doc. Looking forward to an update once company departs.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

Great work with the kit, Roy. The minimalist instructions certainly ensure that every build is unique, and there are lots of very helpful tips to be had from your experience here. You've done beautiful work with the Cromwell and Comet, certainly a pair to be proud of!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Raminator wrote:Great work with the kit, Roy. The minimalist instructions certainly ensure that every build is unique, and there are lots of very helpful tips to be had from your experience here. You've done beautiful work with the Cromwell and Comet, certainly a pair to be proud of!
Many, many thanks, Dan!! Great to see you posting again. By the way, I hadn't realised that you'd had a lengthy bout of ill health until recently, after catching up on a few posts. I did notice the absence of posts from you, however.
I sincerely hope that all's well now, and that the future will see you fully fighting fit.
All my spare time has been taken up with this wee fella lately. When his ears have the strength they need, they should stand up in that time-honoured perky Westie style. For the moment, though, they flop...and after dogsitting, day in day out, that's about all I can do. :problem:
He's called Finn, by the way, after the Irish/Scottish legendary giant Finn McCool. That's partly because he'll never be a giant in stature (but, I suspect, maybe a giant in presence)
Hope to get back to the Comet when I can trust the wee one's bladder, and bowels, more in the hoose. :lolno: :D
All the very best to you!
Roy.
Wee Finn McCool
Wee Finn McCool
Von Mooflesaaa
Corporal

Post by Von Mooflesaaa »

This build looks incredible. I find myself drawn more and more to a Cromwell kit, just not enough British Armour represented in mainstream form these days. One day Ill bite the bullet and pick up the cromwell with all the trimmings I can find.
Taigen Metal Tiger
Taigen Metal Panzer IV
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

Just wondering, is the text under the photo a description or an instruction? :D
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D

Return to “Other Builds”