DEATH OF THE KING - A QUICK PROJECT

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

DEATH OF THE KING - A QUICK PROJECT

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I have a pile of odd bits building up for a while, as I’m certain we all do being the hoarders we are !
A lower hull off my Mattoro Jagdtiger, an upper hull & turret for a TAMIYA King Tiger, a mass of bits & pieces.
I’ve got enough now to build a King Tiger wreck along the lines of a knocked out or abandoned & destroyed by crew machine that is marked by the allies on a road side.
It’s going to be a time filler while I get ideas for the next proper project.
As it’s only a display piece, I can cut a lot of corners !

In fact I am looking to cut the lower quarter off the thing with a cutting disc on a grinder to replicate a tank sunken into the earth under its weight, or that had been pushed out of the way.
Be great to have a half track , Sherman or Duece & a half going past it, you get the idea.

Some may think it’s a misuse of Tamiya hardware, but what else would the stuff get used for !!!!!!
Pics later once I’ve made some progress
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Jimster
Lieutenant

Re: DEATH OF THE KING - A QUICK PROJECT

Post by Jimster »

Awesome diorama idea and a great use for leftover parts! I can’t wait to see some progress.
Last edited by Jimster on Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Will await this build with great anticipation
Tanks alot.... :wave:
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

On the lines of a half-a-tank, you could even do a diorama where a modern vehicle (tank retriever or even bulldozer) is pulling a WW2 wreck out of a swamp/lake/river. I've seen diorama books where the resin used for the water is just a shallow layer over a painted bottom, which is dark and muddy to give it the illusion of depth.

But, whatever you decide to do with it; be assured that you'll have several spectators to witness the artistry!
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

sassgrunt wrote:On the lines of a half-a-tank, you could even do a diorama where a modern vehicle (tank retriever or even bulldozer) is pulling a WW2 wreck out of a swamp/lake/river. I've seen diorama books where the resin used for the water is just a shallow layer over a painted bottom, which is dark and muddy to give it the illusion of depth.

But, whatever you decide to do with it; be assured that you'll have several spectators to witness the artistry!
Interesting note on the creation of water. I was looking at how to do it last night. A lot of products around.
I might see whats available here & perhaps do a small creek in the roadside berm or something like that.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Look forward to watching what you do Herman.

I enjoy watching this blokes tutorials.

Watch "How to build an Ultra Realistic River – Realistic Scenery Vol.13" on YouTube
phpBB [video]
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Quick pics
The fit is really good all round.
Considering its a Tamiya over an old Mattoro !!(who'd -a-thunk) :O
Im going to drill out the suspension arms & super glue the roadwheels in place.
I cant decide yet which side is going to be the 'sunken side' that gets the chop, so I need both sides to be pretty firm.
Tracks will also be glued in place once the deflection has been decided and the off-side cut off.
I have a metal and plastic barrel so I can choose to retain a full length or 'shot-off' look.
I dont have a turret commanders hatch, so that might get some form of smoke plume issuing from it. Not sure yet.
There is lots of scope to run wild here !!
Attachments
FIT CHECK REAR
FIT CHECK REAR
FIT CHECK
FIT CHECK
GEAR BOX CUT & FLATTENED
GEAR BOX CUT & FLATTENED
ANNOYING BULGE GONE
ANNOYING BULGE GONE
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Its coming together quick now.
Fitted some left over metal exhaust covers on the rear plate and removed the jack block to put woodgrain into it.
Secured the upper hull to the lower hull and its amazing how good the fit is.
Assembled the plastic barrel, mantlet and pivot into the turret & secured the halves.
A good womble around located all the tools and a set of track & tow cables that will do for what it is.
Turret spare track links may be the Tamiya ones cleaned up & recycled, but I might fit a few hangers & actually fit loose links, not sure yet.
The lower hull bulge that is a Mattoro trait has been filled with old mudguard material, and putty applied over the top, textured with zimmerit. Will be near enough for this kid.
I might make some rough mudguards out of aluminium(thats said 'aloominum' to you left-hand-drivers! ) to cover the quaint holes in the hull that Tamiya decided was a great idea to hold their versions on with giant screws:/
All the roadwheels are ready to refit.
Once its assembled, and the lower running gear cut off, all the welds and flame cut marks can go on.
Primer is not far off.

I think I will have the turret rotated slightly right, barrel down(and shot-through)the left side track cut off so it looks like the weight has sunken it into the ground.
Or, a bulldozer has pushed it to the side of the road into a soggy berm (so I can try water effects)
Attachments
P4100006.JPG
P4100005.JPG
P4100004.JPG
P4100001.JPG
HOPE THE SEAM IS GOING TO BE INVISIBLE
HOPE THE SEAM IS GOING TO BE INVISIBLE
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
[ICE]monkey
2nd Lieutenant

Post by [ICE]monkey »

what a great idea for a awesome looking diorama
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Got a bit more done. In the interests of simplicity, and the fact Im sure you all know what a King Tiger looks like!, I've punched on with the project.
Did a few welds on the turret roof to add a bit of ambiance !
The lower hull was primed and covered in a left over light Dunkelgelb from my Tamiya KT build.
All the roadwheels done in the same.When it ran out, I quickly blended another lot.
Once dry, the roadwheels got the resilient 'tyre' painted in XF-16 flat Aluminium(thats Aloominum for you left-hand-drivers) which seems to give the right look for use over tracks.
I chucked on some roughly cut mesh over the vents on the engine deck, & bunged on some reclaimed mudguards with the obligatory missing sections.
Turret is also base coated with the DG blend.
Im out of both primer and DG now, so with the Easter break upon me, I will need to restock.

Looking for a suitable subject picture for this, so I can get the right feel for it when finished............any suggestions ? There are lots.
Plan to prime the upper hull and get the base coat over it this weekend.
Maybe camo as well.

Then I can start on its base dio.
Attachments
P4180002.JPG
P4180011.JPG
P4180010.JPG
P4180003.JPG
P4170006.JPG
P4170005.JPG
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “Other Builds”